Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Watched a few episodes early, decided it wasn’t for me, and haven’t bothered since, but I’ve seen ads and occasional bits of it when flicking between channels. What little I’ve seen has convinced me that nothing has changed from those early shows.
It's a bit inconsistent and pretty dull of late. Caro's best days as an investigative journo are behind her. She doesn't even seem to get much mail from AFL House now.

Reactions: 1 user

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Did you miss the bit when Eddie thought he'd throw his 2 cents worth in on the Tex Walker video apology? It was incredible television, and I don't mean in a good way. You have a tone deaf ex-journo come host with a racist past defending poor Tex with words like "exhausted" and "poor mental state"and comparing the stage managed scripted apology of poor Tex to speeches by Barack Obama. It was peak Ed
It is pretty unwatchable the Wednesday version of FC but I now find perverse pleasure in watching Eddie answer every question, even those not directed to him. And Caro and Eddie tend to end up shouting over each and it is impossible to hear what is going on - which is a pity as Ross Lyon often seems to offer something insightful but Eddie and Caro simply do not let him answer.

Reactions: 2 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
It is pretty unwatchable the Wednesday version of FC but I now find perverse pleasure in watching Eddie answer every question, even those not directed to him. And Caro and Eddie tend to end up shouting over each and it is impossible to hear what is going on - which is a pity as Ross Lyon often seems to offer something insightful but Eddie and Caro simply do not let him answer.
The two of them are used to yelling over the top of everyone, interrupting others all the time, so when you put them in the same room, they’re even more unbearable than usual. Multiplier effect.

Reactions: 1 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Not sure I invest in any footy media anymore. Can't watch 360. Don't really read the papers that often. Like the AFL exchange podcast, Talking tigers Podcast and every now and then The Realfooty podcast. SEN is horrible. The only thing I can tolerate in doses is Bob & Andy. I think it's more my dislike for media in general. Footy media is no different. The Dwayne Show on SEN is the most unlistenable drivel I've ever heard. Bring back Mark Doran.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Not sure I invest in any footy media anymore. Can't watch 360. Don't really read the papers that often. Like the AFL exchange podcast, Talking tigers Podcast and every now and then The Realfooty podcast. SEN is horrible. The only thing I can tolerate in doses is Bob & Andy. I think it's more my dislike for media in general. Footy media is no different. The Dwayne Show on SEN is the most unlistenable drivel I've ever heard. Bring back Mark Doran.
Pretty much the same. Once devoured a lot of these shows and always listened to SEN but barely listen now. Can’t really cop too much Maher. Murphy same, better in small doses. Used to like Friday night pre game show. Not sure if the still do the Shizen files? Off the bench is good, but haven’t listened for a while. I miss KB.

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
I genuinely wonder who watches, reads and listens to the AFL media now. It's 99% garbage, I no longer watch or listen to any of it, and only read the occasional article. The RFC, forums and decent footy podcasts are the source of my footy news and opinions. The AFL sycophant media are slowly strangling themselves of an audience.

Reactions: 5 users

TigerTribe5

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 14, 2010
I genuinely wonder who watches, reads and listens to the AFL media now. It's 99% garbage, I no longer watch or listen to any of it, and only read the occasional article. The RFC, forums and decent footy podcasts are the source of my footy news and opinions. The AFL sycophant media are slowly strangling themselves of an audience.
Same - I can't stomach the BS anymore!

It's so obvious who is on the AFL payroll & spouting propaganda as directed from from headquarters.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Same - I can't stomach the BS anymore!

It's so obvious who is on the AFL payroll & spouting propaganda as directed from from headquarters.
Yes and it has really accentuated since Foxtel bought into AFL; their vastly increased role and revenue stream has led to an attempt to exert a major influence adjacent to the AFL itself. They are probably using the methods and style they thought successful with NRL markets in the northern states.

But I don't think these two markets/audiences are necessarily that alike.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Did you miss the bit when Eddie thought he'd throw his 2 cents worth in on the Tex Walker video apology? It was incredible television, and I don't mean in a good way. You have a tone deaf ex-journo come host with a racist past defending poor Tex with words like "exhausted" and "poor mental state"and comparing the stage managed scripted apology of poor Tex to speeches by Barack Obama. It was peak Ed

This 100% just read transcript. Eddie still has no idea, none. Gotten worse if anything. It's amazing and predictable.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I don’t watch FC, but on the few times I have caught sight of it, it seems to be people shouting at each other, so it’s quite possible Wilson was misheard.
Last time I watched it Grant Thomas was on it, so a while ago!
He was worth watching just to see what drivel he came up with any particular week, mixed up with some great insight every now and again.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
The more I think of it the more sheedy comes out in dimma, these staunch defence of players are a classic sheeds smokescreen diversion , he too could get narky, remember when walls went after him , and he replied Vietnam wasn’t the only place for snipers backin the 70s , there was a spat with Matthews too ,,,,one more cup dimma and square off with the master

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania

Agree it’s all regurgitated crap - can’t stomach most of it now and even the game commentary is just as bad.

ABC midday on Saturday and Sunday is still bearable but what really gets on my goat is that for any live game streaming you have to go onto the AFL website - that really gets me and I still hate being made to do it.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
So does that mean the media can’t be held to account? Please.
Many past coaches have treated the media with distain. The media need the players / coaches just as much.the worst of them go on to have jobs in the media
Watched a few episodes early, decided it wasn’t for me, and haven’t bothered since, but I’ve seen ads and occasional bits of it when flicking between channels. What little I’ve seen has convinced me that nothing has changed from those early shows.
Fair enough, it's been on for 15 years at least, so you have stayed away a long time. As I don't have Foxtel never got into their shows and never liked the ch 7 Talking footy but that has bitten the dust. With FC it was more of a discussion show than it is now. Too many egos in one place and don't need two versions of the same show per week. COVId has killed oFF the big interview which were more informative than a press conference.

Rantnrave

Tiger Legend
May 6, 2008
correct....this is the fisrt year i havent watched any footy shows...havent bought asinge newspaper...the likes of tom brown and eddie and mark robinsn etc are of no interest,,,as for caroline wilson ? absolutley hideous journalism....sen has compeletly lost its way....

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
In many ways AFL to me these days is just about RFC. 90% of my news is RFC, I rarely watch any others games and don’t listen to or watch footy shows.
More and more of us are like this

Reactions: 6 users

BluesBloke

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2012
The more I think of it the more sheedy comes out in dimma, these staunch defence of players are a classic sheeds smokescreen diversion , he too could get narky, remember when walls went after him , and he replied Vietnam wasn’t the only place for snipers backin the 70s , there was a spat with Matthews too ,,,,one more cup dimma and square off with the master
Then Walls shut him down on Talking Footy when Sheedy didn't have the guts to back up what he'd said about Walls' character and coaching career, when in the same room. Typical.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
BT. Clown. Saying didn’t see any chopping of the arms in Lynch’s free in the first quarter…that’s because the free was for high contact!

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
BT. Clown. Saying didn’t see any chopping of the arms in Lynch’s free in the first quarter…that’s because the free was for high contact!
Ha ha yeah I said the exact same thing at the time. I recall it vividly as I was stunned that Lynch was paid a free kick. Hadn't seen that all year.

Geez BT is an imbecile.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Georgie Parker. FMD. Bags us on Twitter then proceeds to host a show on Channel 7 commenting on our game. She is a disgrace.