Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ?

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
I used to love it when the live game callers on 3KZ or 3DB or 3UZ would throw to the around-the-grounds commentators and you'd get a cross to Laurie Sandilands at the Western Oval and "Big" Al Martello at Princes Park and Jim Cleary at the Lake Oval and Hughie Mitchell at Windy Hill and Polly Perkins at Glenferrie Oval and if the game was close, the crowd would be going off!!

You could hardly hear the scores.

I used to imagine the pokey little boxes in the heart of the grandstand where these guys would have to sit, surrounded by the suburban ferals barracking like their lives depended on it.

"How long left there, Laurie?"
"Can't be more than, oh, a minute and a half, Harry."
[Crowd goes berserk for no apparent reason]
"Right, we'll stay with you to bring it home..."
"Ok, ball up in the left forward pocket at the Heatley Stand end..."

Reactions: 9 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I used to love it when the live game callers on 3KZ or 3DB or 3UZ would throw to the around-the-grounds commentators and you'd get a cross to Laurie Sandilands at the Western Oval and "Big" Al Martello at Princes Park and Jim Cleary at the Lake Oval and Hughie Mitchell at Windy Hill and Polly Perkins at Glenferrie Oval and if the game was close, the crowd would be going off!!

I used to imagine the pokey little boxes in the heart of the grandstand where these guys would have to sit, surrounded by the suburban ferals barracking like their lives depended on it.

Yep, the good old days, but I reckon you're being generous with 3UZ: "1 point the difference, 28 minute mark and Richmond surge forward . . . and now we cross to race 6 at Birdsville". Always hated it when 3UZ got our game as they were a racing station and would cross to the most obscure race meeting no matter the state of a footy game.

And wasn't 3GL great: "Geelong with a bit to make up but they're still a chance". That when Geelong were 93 points behind at the 25 minute mark of the last quarter ;)

DS

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

eddazol

Tiger Superstar
Sep 22, 2014

"Skeeter" Coghlan at the park and of course Tommy Lahiff with can you hear me Harry

Reactions: 1 user

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Yep, the good old days, but I reckon you're being generous with 3UZ: "1 point the difference, 28 minute mark and Richmond surge forward . . . and now we cross to race 6 at Birdsville". Always hated it when 3UZ got our game as they were a racing station and would cross to the most obscure race meeting no matter the state of a footy game.

And wasn't 3GL great: "Geelong with a bit to make up but they're still a chance". That when Geelong were 93 points behind at the 25 minute mark of the last quarter ;)

DS
Used to dread being broadcast by UZ.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Ones I like are generally those recently retired from the game who have some genuine insight to add.

N Riewoldt is the best of the newbies. I like Jimmy Bartel. Hodge shows a bit of promise.

Reactions: 2 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
I agree you were left hanging as they went to another race

Yeah and then the tote dividends for the 3rd at Manangatang, their off and racing at Rosehill, then tote divdends for the 4th at Upper Kumbukta north & finally the scores at the Tigers game & then around the grounds. Their off & racing at Moonee Valley etc. etc. etc. ad infinitum.

That' why I never listened to the footy on 3UZ.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Yeah and then the tote dividends for the 3rd at Manangatang, their off and racing at Rosehill, then tote divdends for the 4th at Upper Kumbukta north & finally the scores at the Tigers game & then around the grounds. Their off & racing at Moonee Valley etc. etc. etc. ad infinitum.

That' why I never listened to the footy on 3UZ.
It was near impossible to actually follow the game. You were better off listening to another game and following yours from their around the grounds updates.

Reactions: 1 users

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012

Here is some interesting coverage of the 1980 Grand Final. It includes the pre-match, 3AW radio commentary (Harry Beitzel, Bill Jacobs, Tommy Lahiff and special comments from Rex Hunt, Polly Perkins, Gary Brice,, Greg Brown, Frank Considine) and the Cup presentation. I hadn't seen this one before, love the graphics on the players before the game including their date of birth!

Reactions: 4 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
One thing that's stood out in the replays of games is how underrated Steve Quartermaine is as a caller.

Quartermaine and Hudson would be the best calling duo in the past decade I reckon.

Quartermaine yes.
Huddo no flken way.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Watching Sydney games especially under Roos are unbearable

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Don't mind them overall but the ones who keep whingeing about our fixture are the ones that should be the ones getting let go as they give the audience nothing interesting to listen to

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Port vs Wc is on.
The 07 final,
Have port always been a cocky football club?
Pity the week after they were slapped off the G

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Imho Robbo and Cornes actually put people of AFL , so sick of havin there noggins poppin up on my social media feeds , whinging about utter *smile*