Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ?

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
And, how about those so called expert commentators, waffling on about one team for most of the game with only a limited comment here and there of the other team. Ling seems to always extol the virtues of one team, especially of course the Cats, when "calling" the game. Some others are just as bad,

One team seems to attract such comments as a brilliant piece of play, that was brilliant, etc., etc. When the other team does something equally as good hardly gets mention.

Do what we do and turn the sound off these days.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Apparently Cornes said Jezzas 1970 “Jesalenko you beauty” Mark is overrated and wouldn’t make the top 50 marks.

Nathan Brown retorted with “You don’t have to say things just for the sake of it.” :clap1

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Apparently Cornes said Jezzas 1970 “Jesalenko you beauty” Mark is overrated and wouldn’t make the top 50 marks.

Nathan Brown retorted with “You don’t have to say things just for the sake of it.” :clap1

You also don't have to be a complete idiot, but Cornes manages it with effortless ease.

What a stupid statement, fantastic mark that.

e52f6cc42ecb8b327f74cbc6a9c0f101

DS

Reactions: 2 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004

He’s been *smile* can the AFL now about bias against non Victoria clubs.
Keeps this up he’ll be heading the same way as Grant ‘cornflakes’ Thomas.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Footy media is like everything, too many people trying to make a living out of it.

Dilutes the quality. Think the quality stuff is in the podcast world.

Reactions: 1 user

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Footy media is like everything, too many people trying to make a living out of it.

Dilutes the quality. Think the quality stuff is in the podcast world.
If what we are getting is "quality" then it needs a full rebuild. I agree it's saturated tho. For all the lay offs in the media not one x player has been given the boot from media st....
Another issue is none of them are creative in the slightest, one of them makes a comment on something (usually a negative slant or a stupid rule change idea from Blight) & the rest of them feed off it for the next week or so.

tiger76

Tiger Superstar
Mar 26, 2014
If you break down the vast majority of the criticism of the media on here it is because a) the person said something critical of Richmond or b) the person previously said something critical of Richmond or c) the person said something positive about an opposition person or club which is interpreted as an indirect criticism of Richmond.
These are all valid reasons for hating on the media as far as I’m concerned.

Hating on the media and or Collingwood, Carlton & Essington is all part of the fun.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
You also don't have to be a complete idiot, but Cornes manages it with effortless ease.

What a stupid statement, fantastic mark that.

e52f6cc42ecb8b327f74cbc6a9c0f101

DS

The mark that the great TISM celebrated it with their track "The back upon which Jezza Jumped", in reference to Jerker Jenkins !!

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Most of em would struggle writing for New Idea.

Too many trying to get the headline to get in first even if its garbage.

Mostly its all about click baiting these days which Cornes uses as his MO to garner hits and reactions over sms and media outlets.

Last edited:

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Where was Hutchy last night?
Was he waiting out the front of Hollywood's to be the first to get a Sov?

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Currently there are the same amount of AFL player's to Media people.
We might get to a stage that every single player is represented by one single person from the media.
What a FLken joke.
Compare this to the days of Scotty Palmer was breaking AFL stories to this new crop of Hyena's.
Who was to know the bloke the AFL suspended all those years ago for bagging the Telstra Dome is now running them (media wise )

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
If i hear anyone of those weasels say that " my sources told me"
I will break my TV.

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
Way to many shows these days covering footy, a while ago you would look forward to watching certain shows, now they pretty much all just talk about the same topics & by the end of the week drive you mad.

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Yeah I was watching when he said that.

What he was trying to say is it is overrated as a technical mark and I think he has a point about that.

It was a great mark because of the occasion and the commentary more so than the actual mark. It's a great mark the way Leo Barry's mark is great.

In terms of an actual technical mark though it probably wouldn't make many lists of the best marks of all time.

I'm not beyond skewering the odd sacred cow but Jezza's grab is more than just a great mark, it's an iconic moment in our sport. The famous still photo does more justice to it than the video, showing just how high he soared over a 200cm ruckman. It was a monster grab in anyone's language.

As for the suggestion a mark has to be technical to be rated amongst the best, it's a bewildering idea.

Can anyone seriously say Jon Brown or Nick Riewoldt running with the flight of the ball, diving headfirst into packs and splaying themselves on the lawn are any less deserving of a position amongst the best marks because they weren't executed with aesthetic perfection?

And what about some historical context? Fact is, players weren't training anywhere near as much back in the 60s and 70s as they do now, so by extension, practising high marks wouldn't have had the same focus. For its time, it's a monumental grab.

The Alex Jesaulenko medal is awarded to the player who takes mark of the year. The grab over Jenkin was awarded mark of the year in 1970.

Can't help but think there is a fair bit of revisionism going on here.

Last edited: