Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ?

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Bit of vested interest here but classic example of the worst of the media on Footy Classified tonight.

Off the back of the Franklin hamstring, they beat up the concerns about preparation for players on the resumption.

To make the case they show a graphic of players in doubt for round two which includes:

Heppell, Daniher and Houli who missed round one and have ongoing injuries, nothing to do with the preparation whatsoever.

Jack Stevens who was stabbed and Robbie Gray who dropped a weight on his toe and broke it. Again zero to do with anything.

So their injury crisis becomes Franklin and Treloar, who both have ongoing soft tissue issues so hardly ground breaking and Jaegar O'Meara who copped a bump at training and sustained a skull fracture, something that is just a random act of luck.

It is just such a non-story and a beat up designed to make it seem like the greedy AFL are putting the players at risk when it is a complete fabrication.

Yep the very reason why I stopped watching these New Idea magazine style made for TV presentations.

Reactions: 1 user

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Bit of vested interest here but classic example of the worst of the media on Footy Classified tonight.

Off the back of the Franklin hamstring, they beat up the concerns about preparation for players on the resumption.

To make the case they show a graphic of players in doubt for round two which includes:

Heppell, Daniher and Houli who missed round one and have ongoing injuries, nothing to do with the preparation whatsoever.

Jack Stevens who was stabbed and Robbie Gray who dropped a weight on his toe and broke it. Again zero to do with anything.

So their injury crisis becomes Franklin and Treloar, who both have ongoing soft tissue issues so hardly ground breaking and Jaegar O'Meara who copped a bump at training and sustained a skull fracture, something that is just a random act of luck.

It is just such a non-story and a beat up designed to make it seem like the greedy AFL are putting the players at risk when it is a complete fabrication.
Fair to say the media are not having a good year. They had a poor yr last yr as well, just look about how they reported about us during the year....

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Have had the theory for a while now there are too many ppl in the AFL, trying to cover a sport 365 days a yr when it only goes for 6 mths.
The lack of accountability is amazing considering how they go after ppl such as a struggling Coach.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
I reckon Royce's in the 67 GF is better than Jezza's. It was years before I was born, but for aesthetics, degree of difficulty (off one step, no ride, all leap), and taking the ball at the highest possible point, it might be my favourite, most exemplary Australian football image of all time. I wish I'd seen him play, Dad and my uncle rave about him.

996322-royce-hart.jpg
That is a great photo. I think it doesn't come up as it should on all time lists was that the video angle was not as flattering , bit grainy, bit late too in my recollection. But it was at a critical time of the game...he doesn't mark and cats are deep into attack. Virtually no assistance on Royces leap just enough contact to keep him up.
Royce was my boyhood hero so it's pretty hard for anyone since to displace him as greatest I have seen. I don't think anyone every mastered the contested mark where he slots himself in from the SIDE of the pack like Royce did. Even for the time he wasnt the tallest key position and certainly not the brute strength of Carey and Brown. Match winner. Knee injuries robbed him and us of 5 more years and a flag or two more. He was as popular as Dusty is today....in my neighbourhood more kids had 4 than every other tiger combined, probably twice as many. Only 29 and 30 a few *smile* Clays 8 filled the minor placings.

Reactions: 1 users

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
I’m sick of Eddie big head and Jabba the Hutch the most. Eddie wants to shorten the quarters permanently because people watch Netflix etc. The bloke has no idea. Lucky for us the TV networks don’t want it.

And Jabba wants to turn the game into a fantasy league that more resembles American sports. He is also has his SEN minions pushing his ideas.

AFL members have stuck fat to their clubs. We want things to stay as close to the game we currently love as possible. Also all supporters I have spoken to want list sizes to pretty much remain the same. The cuts to off field personal I have no issue with as they won’t have to much of a negative impact on the end product. Also cuts to AFL headquarters with staff and wages, reduced AFL media (pay for journalism not egos).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I’m sick of Eddie big head and Jabba the Hutch the most. Eddie wants to shorten the quarters permanently because people watch Netflix etc. The bloke has no idea. Lucky for us the TV networks don’t want it.

And Jabba wants to turn the game into a fantasy league that more resembles American sports. He is also has his SEN minions pushing his ideas.

AFL members have stuck far to their clubs. We want things to stay as close to the game we currently love as possible. Also all supporters I have spoken to want list sizes to pretty much remain the same. The cuts to off field personal I have no issue with as they won’t have to much of a negative impact on the end product. Also cuts to AFL headquarters with staff and wages, reduced AFL media (pay for journalism not egos).

Hutchinson is unbearable.
If he became the next Hocking or Gilligan.
I wouldn't watch the game anymore.
He would make the game unwatchable.
Top 10 final positions.
GF played all around the country.
In places where people don't give a shiit about AFL.
And the commercials during games would drive you insane.
Ive seen 5 flags in my life time.
I'm happy...

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
Garry Lyon's comment when finishing the interview with Cotch that was posted on an earlier thread.
"Some of it is grudging, but the respect for the Richmond Footy Club is through the roof."
Lyon has never tried to hide his dislike for us! I have been listening to the radio calls of the 2017 and 2019 Grand Finals.
It is embarrassing how Lyon is openly barracking against us!

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Garry Lyon's comment when finishing the interview with Cotch that was posted on an earlier thread.
"Some of it is grudging, but the respect for the Richmond Footy Club is through the roof."
Lyon has never tried to hide his dislike for us! I have been listening to the radio calls of the 2017 and 2019 Grand Finals.
It is embarrassing how Lyon is openly barracking against us!
Lyon is extremely jealous. He thinks that should be Melbourne.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
I too am over Eddie & Hutchy & a few others.
want "wildcard round"? we already have this, they are called "elimination Finals" & 7 & 8 were added to the top 6 for this very reason.
Hutchy only thinks this is a "no brainer" as he knows he can make a heap of $$$ if if it came in.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
If anyone else wins it this year it'll be the greatest flag since potatoes and gravy, if we win compromised doggy doo.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I too am over Eddie & Hutchy & a few others.
want "wildcard round"? we already have this, they are called "elimination Finals" & 7 & 8 were added to the top 6 for this very reason.
Hutchy only thinks this is a "no brainer" as he knows he can make a heap of $$$ if if it came in.
It’s something he copies from the US, and hey if it works them, it must also work for us, right? He should just move there and *smile* up their sports and leave ours alone.

Reactions: 1 user

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Didn’t want to start a new thread , however just wanted to say as PRE is part of social media that since Mr T has taken over the PRE forum, everything about it has improved immensely, it’s also great to see a few old names back , who had been vanished .

great job Mr T ...Go Tiges

Reactions: 12 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
It’s something he copies from the US, and hey if it works them, it must also work for us, right? He should just move there and *smile* up their sports and leave ours alone.
I have said for a while that if the Americans are doing anything we should be the opposite, looking at who they voted in for a President we REALLY should be doing the opposite to them in every way, Sports included.
I used to watch Basketball as a kid but the last 2 mins of a game can go for 15mins as every time someone touches the ball they call a "time out" & i got fed up with it. If the media get thier way that is what the AFL will become. Who in thier right mind wants to watch that?
P.S if they want end to end free flowing scoring that's the sport they should be watching.
I like that our game is a contest & it's the same as any sport under any rules, you'll get great games & you'll be boring games.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
I wouldn't mind seeing something in the break before the finals involving the lower clubs. Perhaps something built around draft pick opportunities or something similar.
With a bit of luck with the bye gone this yr it will never return. If it does the only reason i could see it making sense is so they can put on an U18's carnival & have the games on free to air so we can get to see & know a little bit about the kids that will be drafted at the end of the yr.
Otherwise the majority of us & myself included are only taking someone else's word for it.

Reactions: 3 users