Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ?

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I have said for a while that if the Americans are doing anything we should be the opposite, looking at who they voted in for a President we REALLY should be doing the opposite to them in every way, Sports included.
I used to watch Basketball as a kid but the last 2 mins of a game can go for 15mins as every time someone touches the ball they call a "time out" & i got fed up with it. If the media get thier way that is what the AFL will become. Who in thier right mind wants to watch that?
P.S if they want end to end free flowing scoring that's the sport they should be watching.
I like that our game is a contest & it's the same as any sport under any rules, you'll get great games & you'll be boring games.

Brilliant post. If we start replicating any Amercian sport, we will be on the decline very quickly.
I'm the same when it comes to basketball. Every 3 seconds a time out or a deliberate foul. It's a joke

Reactions: 1 user

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Brilliant post. If we start replicating any Amercian sport, we will be on the decline very quickly.
I'm the same when it comes to basketball. Every 3 seconds a time out or a deliberate foul. It's a joke
Yer the game flows fine till the last few mins especially the last 2. To think ppl pay good $ to watch them have a conference every 5 seconds is mind boggling.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
The BB comment prompts me but it's Probably wrong thread but the debate over 16 minute or 20 minute quarters is not the complete argument. Quarters take longer now because they changed the rules about when the clock stops Particularly automatically. All out of bounds? All ball ups? But clock runs when a player is lining up for a set shot.
Effect has been old 25 min quarters generally run no more than 30 mins elapsed (look at the old scorbaaords dials) now 20 minute quarters run 32 regularly.
So it's the rule makers not the coaches.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Didn’t want to start a new thread , however just wanted to say as PRE is part of social media that since Mr T has taken over the PRE forum, everything about it has improved immensely, it’s also great to see a few old names back , who had been vanished .

great job Mr T ...Go Tiges

The PRe forum is great and to be honest thought it was pretty good also under the guidance of Rosy.

That leads me to the question. Has anyone any news on Rosy and her family?

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
The BB comment prompts me but it's Probably wrong thread but the debate over 16 minute or 20 minute quarters is not the complete argument. Quarters take longer now because they changed the rules about when the clock stops Particularly automatically. All out of bounds? All ball ups? But clock runs when a player is lining up for a set shot.
Effect has been old 25 min quarters generally run no more than 30 mins elapsed (look at the old scorbaaords dials) now 20 minute quarters run 32 regularly.
So it's the rule makers not the coaches.

True but you also missed the gap for ads after each goal. Sitting there at a game waiting for the umpire to restart play as bloody annoying.

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
As I get older I appreciate the time between goals more as it allows for a much needed mid quarter leak after a few beers.
No doubt Channel 7 will use the 60" to cram in more ads, but let's hope it gives FOX a chance to provide more analysis on the fly. Apart from the aforementioned leak-worthiness of the additional time, I can't see any other advantage to it.

While I'm on a mini-rant, the 30" players get to kick for goal has to go. Now used tactically more often than not (totally predictable outcome), it could be easily cut in half. More precisely, give a player within the 50m arc 15" from the moment he receives the ball. Or if the 30" is still deemed appropriate, stop the clock after 15" so time wasting can't occur.

Reactions: 3 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
If the AFL want to reduce time then reduce the 30 second watch clock. Down to 15 seconds would suffice. You know 30 seconds is too long when players are using it to just give everyone a breather.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
If the AFL want to reduce time then reduce the 30 second watch clock. Down to 15 seconds would suffice. You know 30 seconds is too long when players are using it to just give everyone a breather.
Yeh 30 seconds is too long. Think 20 seconds is about right.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
No doubt Channel 7 will use the 60" to cram in more ads, but let's hope it gives FOX a chance to provide more analysis on the fly. Apart from the aforementioned leak-worthiness of the additional time, I can't see any other advantage to it.
60 seconds is going to seem like an eternity. Purely ad driven.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Too complex, introducing a rule whereby a ball can't be marked by one team but can be marked by the other? Bizarre.

Just give them 15 seconds then it's play-on. Simple.

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
Couldn't agree more, a real issue that needs to be addressed.

I think the system should be that the umpire sets the mark and asks if the player wants the 30 seconds. If they do then the clock stops and no mark can be taken by their own team from the kick.

Agree on both counts.

I find it cringeworthy when our players do it, and infuriating when other teams do.

That's one rule change id be happy with.

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
20 seconds and call play on immediately the time expires no matter if the player hasn't yet kicked the ball.
Have rarely if ever seen a player get called play on, but have seen plenty given more than 30 seconds.

Reactions: 2 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004

While I'm on a mini-rant, the 30" players get to kick for goal has to go. Now used tactically more often than not (totally predictable outcome), it could be easily cut in half. More precisely, give a player within the 50m arc 15" from the moment he receives the ball. Or if the 30" is still deemed appropriate, stop the clock after 15" so time wasting can't occur.
Sorry, didn't see this when I posted below.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I can't see any other way to stop the 'fake' shot where they just run the clock down and then pass the ball off.

The problem with 15 seconds is when you start it. If it is a contested mark and players go to ground then by the time they extricate themselves and get back behind the mark most of that time will be gone.

clock starts when the umpire calls it, same as now. Or if it starts when the mark is taken, umpire calls 15 when the player starts to walk back to their mark.

Last edited:

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
clock starts when the umpire calls it, same as now. Or if it starts when the mark is taken, umpire calls 15 when the player starts to walk back to their mark.

Actually timed a few now. Some the clock starts as soon as the player marks the ball, others start later, judging by the "15 gone" call from the ump.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
I don't think that is long enough.

Imagine next Thursday, scores are level with 2 minutes to go, Dustin bombs the ball forward and Riewoldt takes a huge pack mark, 25 out in the pocket.

By the time he emerges from the bottom of the pack 5 seconds have gone, he walks back behind the mark and another 5 have gone. The umpire calls 5 seconds to go and he rushes and kicks it out on the full.
That's why 20 sec is about right. Allows time for the player to get composed but not time waste.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Much like thier "Footy vault" coverage then....

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Heard what could be a fairly good idea, just keep the clock running instead of "time off" it at every stoppage etc, only time it stops is after a goal or for a legit injury. To stop time wasting in a close game Ump calls play on quicker when teams start playing keepings off.
Not at all a fan of rule change discussions (especially with the way the media are with them) But having them ump standing there waiting on a light after a goal so Ch7 can cram in an ad break is stupid

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Couldn't agree more, a real issue that needs to be addressed.

I think the system should be that the umpire sets the mark and asks if the player wants the 30 seconds. If they do then the clock stops and no mark can be taken by their own team from the kick.

A mark I50 is difficult to achieve. The shot clock rule offers you with the advantage of receiving the option to risk your shot on goal by attempting to milk 30 seconds off the clock. That advantage is earned by the mark I50.

Asking the player if they want the 30 seconds would reduce time wasting.

But most players would probably need to say “yes” right away, which means they couldn’t pass it off to a teammate in a better position later. Players wouldn’t have an incentive to present and mark the ball.

They’d probably rarely pass it off, or teammates would punch it to ground level if they do.

This would actually favour our gameplan come to think of it... but I’d expect the rule makers to favour rules that increase potential for big marks up forward if anything.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
When the mark is paid, stop the clock. That negates the time wasting.

Reactions: 3 users