Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ?

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Seems like there is consensus on 30" for kicks at goal being too long but no agreement on how to fix it.

What about my earlier thoughts that either (a) the clock stops when a mark or free I50 is awarded but automatically re-starts after 15" or (b) the player gets 15" or 20" once the ball is back in their hands?

Maybe too hard for timekeepers to manage? Dunno. But strongly believe the 30" shot at goal is a blight on the game.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Seems like there is consensus on 30" for kicks at goal being too long but no agreement on how to fix it.

What about my earlier thoughts that either (a) the clock stops when a mark or free I50 is awarded but automatically re-starts after 15" or (b) the player gets 15" or 20" once the ball is back in their hands?

Maybe too hard for timekeepers to manage? Dunno. But strongly believe the 30" shot at goal is a blight on the game.

Yeah, don't mind it 8er. 30 seconds is too long, especially in a 16 minute quarter.

Reactions: 1 user

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Yeah, don't mind it 8er. 30 seconds is too long, especially in a 16 minute quarter.
The 16 minute quarter is the kicker, isn't it. We're going to see a fair bit less footy this season, especially in higher scoring games.

Interesting to see Gil quoted as saying it won't persist after 2020. A tick on that one.

I could be wrong about this but I don't reckon the 30 second allowance has improved goal scoring accuracy.

Wonder if our stats guys have noticed the same thing... we seem to play on / take a shorter amount of time to kick goals than other sides. Think Dusty, JR8 and Georgie kicking around the corner at the first opportunity.

I can only imagine the voices in my head coming off the long run and trying to kick straight from 40m out...

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
I re-watched the first quarter of the 2019 GF this evening and was pleasantly surprised with the commentary efforts of Bruce, BT, Carey and Ling. Even Richo was OK and Daisy Pearce before the game was her usual excellent self.

It made me think it must be hard drumming up interest in boring H&A games, and that perhaps we're too critical of the commentators for some of the stuff they dish up in those matches.

If players are ultimately judged on their finals performances, it's probably reasonable we look at commentators the same way!

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I re-watched the first quarter of the 2019 GF this evening and was pleasantly surprised with the commentary efforts of Bruce, BT, Carey and Ling. Even Richo was OK and Daisy Pearce before the game was her usual excellent self.

It made me think it must be hard drumming up interest in boring H&A games, and that perhaps we're too critical of the commentators for some of the stuff they dish up in those matches.

If players are ultimately judged on their finals performances, it's probably reasonable we look at commentators the same way!

Richo shouldn't commentate our games.
He tries tooooooo hard to not sound too bias.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Happened upon Dwayne Russell briefly today and he actually stuck up for us for a change. .... said the draw we got coming into the finals last year would not have rated a mention all those years we were *smile*!... And finishing 9th....!
Had to ruin it by being a smartarse at the end!

Also just listened to Ross Lyons' thing on the AFL website. .... he's a fan of how we play and since he knows a bit about the game I'll give him a ✅

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Richo shouldn't commentate our games.
He tries tooooooo hard to not sound too bias.

He is nigh on anti Richmond at times pointing out frees that shouldve been payed against us or free s that shouldnt have been paid to our players..

Maybe he got a kick up the arse for his tears and fanous yelling "The Tiges ARE IN THE GRAND FIINAL "!!!!

Must go with the narrative they are driving.

Fire Up Richoman!!! Ol Rexy Baby would go off his tits commentating Tigers games, and how great it was even if we were *smile* :mhihi:mhihi

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
He is nigh on anti Richmond at times pointing out frees that shouldve been payed against us or free s that shouldnt have been paid to our players..

Maybe he got a kick up the arse for his tears and fanous yelling "The Tiges ARE IN THE GRAND FIINAL "!!!!

Fire Up Richoman!!! Ol Rexy Baby would go off his tits commentating Tigers games, and how great it was even if we were *smile* :mhihi:mhihi
He was doing it before then. Was actually refreshing hearing him do that and then seeing him on GF day in ‘17 interacting with the players as mates and that footage of him unable to talk during the game, because he was so nervous and wanted us to win the game so badly.

Reactions: 1 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011

I get there are boring games but even in decent games they crap on about other things.

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015

I thought it was Darcy that yelled "The Tiges ARE IN THE GRAND FIINAL, can you believe it, I can't". Funny thing was I watched the prelim from 2016, Dogs vs Giants and he said the exact same line, verbatim, about the Dogs.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
I listened to the age real footy podcast this morning.

I thought Caro was bloody awful. Made no sense with her comments then attacked the others. Was quite bizarre.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I thought it was Darcy that yelled "The Tiges ARE IN THE GRAND FIINAL, can you believe it, I can't". Funny thing was I watched the prelim from 2016, Dogs vs Giants and he said the exact same line, verbatim, about the Dogs.
That was Richo