Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ?

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Most infuriating part of this season finishing now is that the media flogs have conveniently been able to by pass covering our great deed and victory and go straight into Trade week thus no humble pie or back peddling.

Its gone nigh on uncovered compared to other seasons.

Such a shame that our best flag win of the 3 is also the most un respected.

The media as always can GAGF.

I feel the opposite. Everyone loves the tigers and there is finally acknowledgement that we are a great side. And a great club. And the 3rd has been ackowledged as the toughest and hardest earnt. They are fawning over themselves to praise the tigers IMO.

There are not many that have been on the tiger bandwagon since that first premiership - I think Nick Reiwoldt may be the only one?

The best of all is Kingsight. Got it wrong. Again.

Reactions: 6 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Sorry Leon but it's the Age as well ... half of Nialls Gf preview was about our bad behaviour. And I have read the Age every day since I was 10 but it's a shadow of its former self. Cannoit blame Murdoch for that...once the Internet arrived it started losing its classified revenue lifeblood. Even crusading journalists like to get paid. But it us a shame but what is the alternative...government subsidies?
I agree with much of your comment. I have also been a loyal Age reader. I was disturbed by the merge with CH.9 and, as I expected, my concerns have been justified. There is not much alternative in mainstream media.
Our behavior became topical and probably any journalist would realise his audience would be expecting him to include commentary on it in a season evaluation pre GF. Otherwise he'd be accused of bias perhaps.
Overall, though, the Age hasn't indulged in the sensationalist clickbait anywhere near as much. I found Jake's articles reasonably fair and giving us our dues usually. Other Age journos were similar or even more positive e.g. I came to appreciate the work of Daniel Cherny.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
The players with their awesome win in the GF and their heartfelt gesture to Ablett after the game have left the media snookered. They're not even but, but, butting about the players behaviour during the season, they have been left smitten by our great win.

It's just us so called arrogant supporters that is annoying everyone....... how sweet it is. Suck it up everyone, suck it up.

Reactions: 5 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Just read an age article by Mick Gleeson , talking about “ premiership” player Jack Higgins, did I miss something ?
See other comments about the decline of The Age, they cannot afford editors any more who might have picked that up. There is more editing in a PRE post.

Reactions: 5 users

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
See other comments about the decline of The Age, they cannot afford editors any more who might have picked that up. There is more editing in a PRE post.
Is it Sam McClure or the editors that have trouble constructing a coherent sentence?
A cynical view would be that Collingwood never should not have signed up Treloar to such a long-term deal if it was going to be open to trading him.
The club would ask how were it was meant to know that his partner would need to move interstate for work.
(from https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/adam-treloar-stuck-in-the-middle-20201027-p5695b.html)

• Wow

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Proofing in newspapers has been woeful for a while now. One irony of journos typing articles straight into computers is that, in the old days, the typesetters would do a little proofing as they went. I reckon they picked up typos just by habit as they put words into hot metal or the later versions of typesetting before computers took over. Just having that extra set of eyes helped a lot.

The reality is that we read words, not letters, and we read for meaning not for the pleasure of decoding a set of symbols. So picking up a misspelling or typo can be difficult. The worst are titles, notoriously difficult to proof.

DS

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Titles?As is Sir, Dr or Wimbledon champion, triple Premiership player?

My great uncle was a compositor on one of the Sydney morning papers, owned by Frank Packer, said that Frank knew the name of every employee in the production dept, not something you associate with CEOs these days. (And it would be easier now, did a tour of Suns printing press at Port Melb 20 years ago, looked like about a dozen staff in the whole joint and I doubt any had ink stained hands like my uncle)

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Next they'll be reminding us about Tambling over Buddy while completely ignoring Scully &
Trengove over Dusty....

Reactions: 1 users

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
Article in today's Age by Waleed Aly, former Tiger mascot, is pretty good..."...But this Richmond side is a Swiss Army Knife: smaller, unconventional, unassuming but brilliantly designed." Easy to find online.

Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Reckon it’s the best article I’ve ever read of Aly”s

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
See the footy flogs, erm I mean journo's farking stuff up again. Some fool did a trade article about Saad leaving Essendrugs for Carlscum. Called him Adam about half a dozen times.
Guessing the journo might have had his computer set to auto translate n the name Ahmet kept coming out as Adam.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Never gets mentioned does it Jr82
Yeah, still *smile* me. Fiona over Pavlich, Tambling over Buddy. Flora was no star but played 140 games, Tambling 124.
I can make a list of dozens of top 10 picks that played little to no games but never get mentioned.

Reactions: 1 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Yeah, still *smile* me. Fiona over Pavlich, Tambling over Buddy. Flora was no star but played 140 games, Tambling 124.
I can make a list of dozens of top 10 picks that played little to no games but never get mentioned.

Hadn't realised Fiora played that many games for St Kilda 62 to get to 140. Good on him.

But had a chuckle when reading his Wikipedia entry which includes this line about being drafted to Richmond :
Considered at the time to be one of the most talented young footballers in the world .......”

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Never gets mentioned does it Jr82
Only on an annual basis. Sure those picks were rubbish but Scully & Trengove over Dusty make the others look like a masterstroke.

If they even did any homework at all they'd know we didn't want Buddy, Roughead was the one. Somehow Hawthorn got wind of that & took Roughy 1st.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Only on an annual basis. Sure those picks were rubbish but Scully & Trengove over Dusty make the others look like a masterstroke.

If they even did any homework at all they'd know we didn't want Buddy, Roughead was the one. Somehow Hawthorn got wind of that & took Roughy 1st.
They also expected to get Tambling at 5 because they believed we would go a mid and tall