Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
All the talk recently has been how Carlton can't bring players through. They argue because Walsh and Weitering have worked that shows they can.

To me No. 1 draft picks aren't a good indication of your development as they should be good in most scenarios.

Their lack of development of other top 25 draft picks has led to them going down the path of recruiting so many players from other clubs leading them to the scenario that you describe.

They are like a crappy version of Melbourne. Both clubs are swamped with top draft picks but neither can really make it work. Melbourne may have turned the corner this year but Carlton are a long way off despite having so many top draft picks.
It's a bit like Deledio during the Wallace era. Wallace took up most of the meagre footy department budget and plenty of players didn't come on as they might have at a strong club. Deledio succeeded because of his sheer quality.

Carlton's out of debt now and shouldn't have any excuses.

Reactions: 1 user

Whacker

Tiger Cub
Aug 18, 2010
On this week's Access All Areas of the AFL site, Parrot formally acknowledges he has been writing the Tiger's off since Rd 1. 2019 when Rance did his knee and he promises never to do it again!! We' ll see. Like most addictions, it will be very hard for him to break.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I'm not sure of the rationale for that statement, last three years results are Grand Final, Preliminary Final and was it a Semi Final last year?

If that's terrible, there's a heck of a lot of coaches operating at well below terrible.
Certainly wouldn't say he's a terrible coach, he achieved a measure of success albeit after a long build. Would say he has been given plenty of opportunity though and couldn't complain if they changed horses.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
On this week's Access All Areas of the AFL site, Parrot formally acknowledges he has been writing the Tiger's off since Rd 1. 2019 when Rance did his knee and he promises never to do it again!! We' ll see. Like most addictions, it will be very hard for him to break.
Will believe it when I see it, he won't be able to help himself, a schmuck of the highest order.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Certainly wouldn't say he's a terrible coach, he achieved a measure of success albeit after a long build. Would say he has been given plenty of opportunity though and couldn't complain if they changed horses.

Agree with this, Buckley is a very competent coach but his time is done at the Pies... we'll see in later games but appears to have lost the changeroom now.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
That stupid column will generally have 9 likes and 9 dislikes every round; basically one for every game. His dislike for our game was the form of Johannisen and his like was er, um, nothing!! Didn't even rate a mention.

He really is pretty salty on us. You would think the way he lambasted Lynch last week that he would have the grace to mention that he played well this week but no.........
He’s like most of them. More ego than anything else, and praising us after how hard he went last week means he has to admit he was wrong. It must really *smile* him off, though, and that puts a smile on my face.

Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I’ve got a guy I work with who’s a coterie member at Bumwood. Well connected guy. He’s been telling me for years that Buckley is an autocrat that eats, sleeps and breathes football and expects everyone else to do the same. Reckons he ends up fatiguing the players with his endless meetings, planning, detail and takes the enjoyment out of footy. Too technical. This parallels with the fact he wanted the rat pack out, the review they did a few years ago plus Rendell’s comments recently and what I’ve heard from a few others.

Bit overbearing apparently.

Reactions: 3 users

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
I’ve got a guy I work with who’s a coterie member at Bumwood. Well connected guy. He’s been telling me for years that Buckley is an autocrat that eats, sleeps and breathes football and expects everyone else to do the same. Reckons he ends up fatiguing the players with his endless meetings, planning, detail and takes the enjoyment out of footy. Too technical. This parallels with the fact he wanted the rat pack out, the review they did a few years ago plus Rendell’s comments recently and what I’ve heard from a few others.

I recall hearing those sort of things about him when he was playing. Expected everyone else to do everything he could do, and had no time for anyone who didn’t.
Was where the FIGJAM nickname came from.
Seems he hasn’t really mellowed. What happened to his beard?

DragaTheCro

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2004
That stupid column will generally have 9 likes and 9 dislikes every round; basically one for every game. His dislike for our game was the form of Johannisen and his like was er, um, nothing!! Didn't even rate a mention.

He really is pretty salty on us. You would think the way he lambasted Lynch last week that he would have the grace to mention that he played well this week but no.........
Will be interesting to see who his Monday hero will be tonight on 360. Will probably be Brad Hill lol

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

The same was said about him as a player.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Why isn't the media going after clarko? Hawks still going backwards.

Reactions: 1 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Caro seems to have gone missing from Footy Classified. Wouldn't think she has had the flick - has something happened in her personal life?

bdr

Tiger Rookie
Dec 18, 2002
Caro seems to have gone missing from Footy Classified. Wouldn't think she has had the flick - has something happened in her personal life?
Think she’s overseas. Hope so, the line up is really lacking.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016

He fatigues me after 2 minutes of talking.

I reckon Buckley and Scott offer a good lesson on the human aspect of leadership. Dimma the opposite.