Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ?

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
Gee some here have tall poppy syndrome.Reckon we were lucky to have any footy played the last couple of years.Would not have been an easy job at the best of times IMO.

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
A total of $9.8 million was paid to the 8 AFL executives in 2021, up from $7 million in 2020, it's a wonder Gill could keep a straight face today.
Whar about the $53mill spent on game development? How did it cost SHocking $53mill to implement the stand rule? :unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
You think Shocking did all the work himself? The 53m was probably the fee the AFL paid McKinsey to type up the new rule.

Reactions: 1 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Port Adelaide great Kane Cornes and Brownlow Medallist Gerard Healy have shared contrasting thoughts on the current state of the AFL.

In a conversation that came about off the back of the tweaks to the umpire dissent rule confirmed earlier in the week, Cornes believes the game is being made too hard for the players.

Numerous rules have been changed across the last several years to maintain the aesthetics of the game, while others have been modified to protect players in the new day and age.

Cornes named a number of problematic rule changes and ultimately came to the conclusion that the latest tweak by the AFL is another example of how tough it has become to play the game.

“How hard have we made it for players?” Cornes began on AFL Nation.

“I put myself in the players' position, I interviewed (Hawthorn coach) Sam Mitchell the other day and he said, ‘as a coach, I never want to forget how hard it is to be a player’.

“Up from the coaches’ box, it looks so easy. (We all think), ‘why doesn’t he kick it there?’ Well maybe because we’re sitting in the grandstand and we have a better view and we don’t have someone running full speed at us and we’re not under pressure on the scoreboard and we’re not chasing the clock, so all of that.

CORNES AND HEALY SHARE CONFLICTING VIEWS ON THE CURRENT STATE OF THE AFL​

“I think the AFL have forgotten how hard it is, or they don’t know how hard it is because no one on the commission has a football background – they don’t know or understand how hard it is to be a player.
“In the ruck, you have to nominate, you have to put your hand up to be a ruckman. You can’t run through a protected zone, even though I’m chasing someone who’s sprinting for a handball receive, my coach has told me to shut that down, (but) as soon as I get there a little bit late (it’s a) 50-metre penalty.
“I’m standing on the mark, the player goes to feign a handball, I instantly go to stop him, (and that leads to a) 50-metre penalty.
“If I get the ball in the backline and I kick it 50 metres towards the boundary, well that’s a free kick against because I didn’t do enough to keep the ball in play.
“I can’t brace for contact Mitch Robinson style because I’ll cop a week (suspension), I can’t do what Paddy Ryder has done even though it’s a physical game.
“You think about that and I think, ‘this is really difficult and we’ve made it so complicated for the players and this is just another example of that’.”
Healy responded by saying: “I agree with about 70 per cent of that.”
However, speaking later on AFL Nation, the three-time best and fairest Swan cited the turnaround of numerous clubs when offering high praise for the league.
“I think the game is in the best shape it’s been in 10 years,” Healy stated.
“I love the game right now, with a couple of exceptions, some boring clubs, but a couple of the really boring clubs are now not boring.
“I think the Giants have been nearly the most boring side this year, Fremantle were boring two years ago and now they’re playing great, Hawthorn were boring, now they’re great, Collingwood have been boring, now they’re playing great, the Swans were really boring for a long, long time, now they’re really exciting to watch.
“My view on the whole footy world is how’s the game looking? The game is in great shape, I love going to the footy again, I love going to the footy most times because I know I’m going to see more goals or at least more ball movement which is more important is goals.”
Crowds have been down in 2022, although that’s thought to be due to lingering behaviours from the pandemic instead of a sign from fans that the game is less attractive than past years.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Port Adelaide great Kane Cornes and Brownlow Medallist Gerard Healy have shared contrasting thoughts on the current state of the AFL.

In a conversation that came about off the back of the tweaks to the umpire dissent rule confirmed earlier in the week, Cornes believes the game is being made too hard for the players.

Numerous rules have been changed across the last several years to maintain the aesthetics of the game, while others have been modified to protect players in the new day and age.

Cornes named a number of problematic rule changes and ultimately came to the conclusion that the latest tweak by the AFL is another example of how tough it has become to play the game.

“I put myself in the players' position, I interviewed (Hawthorn coach) Sam Mitchell the other day and he said, ‘as a coach, I never want to forget how hard it is to be a player’.

“Up from the coaches’ box, it looks so easy. (We all think), ‘why doesn’t he kick it there?’ Well maybe because we’re sitting in the grandstand and we have a better view and we don’t have someone running full speed at us and we’re not under pressure on the scoreboard and we’re not chasing the clock, so all of that.

“I think the AFL have forgotten how hard it is, or they don’t know how hard it is because no one on the commission has a football background – they don’t know or understand how hard it is to be a player.
“In the ruck, you have to nominate, you have to put your hand up to be a ruckman. You can’t run through a protected zone, even though I’m chasing someone who’s sprinting for a handball receive, my coach has told me to shut that down, (but) as soon as I get there a little bit late (it’s a) 50-metre penalty.
“I’m standing on the mark, the player goes to feign a handball, I instantly go to stop him, (and that leads to a) 50-metre penalty.
“If I get the ball in the backline and I kick it 50 metres towards the boundary, well that’s a free kick against because I didn’t do enough to keep the ball in play.
“I can’t brace for contact Mitch Robinson style because I’ll cop a week (suspension), I can’t do what Paddy Ryder has done even though it’s a physical game.
“You think about that and I think, ‘this is really difficult and we’ve made it so complicated for the players and this is just another example of that’.”
However, speaking later on AFL Nation, the three-time best and fairest Swan cited the turnaround of numerous clubs when offering high praise for the league.
“I love the game right now, with a couple of exceptions, some boring clubs, but a couple of the really boring clubs are now not boring.
“I think the Giants have been nearly the most boring side this year, Fremantle were boring two years ago and now they’re playing great, Hawthorn were boring, now they’re great, Collingwood have been boring, now they’re playing great, the Swans were really boring for a long, long time, now they’re really exciting to watch.
“My view on the whole footy world is how’s the game looking? The game is in great shape, I love going to the footy again, I love going to the footy most times because I know I’m going to see more goals or at least more ball movement which is more important is goals.”
Crowds have been down in 2022, although that’s thought to be due to lingering behaviours from the pandemic instead of a sign from fans that the game is less attractive than past years.
You know what - I was at the game last night and for the first time in a long time (maybe ever) I thought the game was boring.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Interesting Gerald thinks the game is in the best shape ever.
But crowd numbers disagree with him.
Another AFL mouth piece exposed

Reactions: 4 users

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Bloody Collingwood.
Going by the HS today one could be excused for thinking they had just won the 2022 premiership.
Front page, back page, and two full inside back pages all of praise for the win against bottom Bombers.
There was a another game yesterday. Hawks v. Swans.
Good luck finding much about that game.
Next, the Mudpies play Gold Coast and then Richmond, both likely wins.
After that they front up to the Bulldogs.
Lets see how they fare in that game. Hope they get smashed.

Reactions: 1 user

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004

I’m conflicted. I agree with Cornes but he’s always wrong. So I’m wrong!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021

Healy is saying the game is in great shape because we are shiit now. Massive Richmond hater.
When we invented the fast play, the manic pressure style and the restlessness turn over game, he thought the game was finished.
Did Healy ever watch us play between WC game at the MCG 2017 to the bye of 2021??

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
The style of game Hawthorn, freo, Collingwood and stkilda are playing is cut from the Richmond cloth

Reactions: 1 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Bloody Collingwood.
Going by the HS today one could be excused for thinking they had just won the 2022 premiership.
Front page, back page, and two full inside back pages all of praise for the win against bottom Bombers.
There was a another game yesterday. Hawks v. Swans.
Good luck finding much about that game.
Next, the Mudpies play Gold Coast and then Richmond, both likely wins.
After that they front up to the Bulldogs.
Lets see how they fare in that game. Hope they get smashed.
Anzac is a great day but the game is a bit over rated. Both sides have been substandard for more then 10 yrs.

Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Healy is essentially an AFL spokesperson. Don't expect an unbiased take. Goes for anyone on Fox or 7. Understandable they will not jeopardise their income stream.

The game is almost unwatchable, the best shape in 10 years? Only someone being paid to say that would believe it.

Do a fan poll and you'll discover what sort of shape the game is in.

Reactions: 8 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Stumbled on a Jon Ralph retweet , he believes Carlton are becoming everyone’s second team , seriously Do they get paid to write this crap

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users