Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ?

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I do all I can to avoid anything Cornes says/writes , however his over the top headline seeking comments keep getting through the “blocks” I may be on my own but he actually puts me off the game , does absolutely nothing to make me want to watch footy. Besides the game been the most confusing, frustrating and unpopular it has ever been , we have a huge amount of media that the general public don’t seem to like or respect .

IMHO the game Is in more trouble then it’s ever been , I know bush leagues who once had 3rds don’t even have a seconds team now , clubs continue to fold and leagues that once had 10 plus clubs now have 4 teams .

Fans have stopped going and the majority of my footy fanatic mates, now basically only watch there own teams games , its another issue that appears to contribute to footys downfall and that’s the commentators nowadays , so many fans again don’t seem to like .

Were in trouble when the likes of Robbo and Wheatly are the “ best“ in the business , to me the general attitude of the media is completely wrong for the game , 90% of the time they are reporting on the negatives of the game , it just gets so tiresome .

In 10 years I’ve gone from watching most games , our games a second time , a few footy type shows I.e on the couch to pretty much not watching any game other then our own and no tv shows what so ever . If it wasn’t for catching up with the Tiger faithful at the games I doubt I’d go every week now.

#footysfucked :cry:
Hit it on the head.
Feel exactly the same.
And If I wanted negativity, I’d rather get my dose here

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
I do all I can to avoid anything Cornes says/writes , however his over the top headline seeking comments keep getting through the “blocks” I may be on my own but he actually puts me off the game , does absolutely nothing to make me want to watch footy. Besides the game been the most confusing, frustrating and unpopular it has ever been , we have a huge amount of media that the general public don’t seem to like or respect .

IMHO the game Is in more trouble then it’s ever been , I know bush leagues who once had 3rds don’t even have a seconds team now , clubs continue to fold and leagues that once had 10 plus clubs now have 4 teams .

Fans have stopped going and the majority of my footy fanatic mates, now basically only watch there own teams games , its another issue that appears to contribute to footys downfall and that’s the commentators nowadays , so many fans again don’t seem to like .

Were in trouble when the likes of Robbo and Wheatly are the “ best“ in the business , to me the general attitude of the media is completely wrong for the game , 90% of the time they are reporting on the negatives of the game , it just gets so tiresome .

In 10 years I’ve gone from watching most games , our games a second time , a few footy type shows I.e on the couch to pretty much not watching any game other then our own and no tv shows what so ever . If it wasn’t for catching up with the Tiger faithful at the games I doubt I’d go every week now.

#footysfucked :cry:
Nice hashtag, Mr B
Very apt

Reactions: 1 user

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Port Adelaide have 11 home games at Adelaide Oval plus another against the Crows being the Crows home game.

They then have to play West Coast, Fremantle, Brisbane, Suns, Sydney and GWS. Based on the oddities of the draw you would expect PA to play 3 at home and 3 away. This year they play 4 at home and 2 away. They also played Geelong in Geelong and Norf in Tassie. Played Saints in Cairns but it was a Saints home game so would have had to play them at Marvel anyway.

Cant see any of the other interstate teams giving up a home game to help PA play more games at the G. And neither Saints Norf or Geelong.

So that means that PA would have to give up their home games @ Adelaide Oval to play more at the G.

They only have 3 schedule games at the G played Carlton and have games against us and Collingwood to come.

If they ask nicely maybe Richmond or Collingwood will agree to play their PA schedule home games at the G

Peanut

Reactions: 1 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Port Adelaide have 11 home games at Adelaide Oval plus another against the Crows being the Crows home game.

They then have to play West Coast, Fremantle, Brisbane, Suns, Sydney and GWS. Based on the oddities of the draw you would expect PA to play 3 at home and 3 away. This year they play 4 at home and 2 away. They also played Geelong in Geelong and Norf in Tassie. Played Saints in Cairns but it was a Saints home game so would have had to play them at Marvel anyway.

Cant see any of the other interstate teams giving up a home game to help PA play more games at the G. And neither Saints Norf or Geelong.

So that means that PA would have to give up their home games @ Adelaide Oval to play more at the G.

They only have 3 schedule games at the G played Carlton and have games against us and Collingwood to come.

If they ask nicely maybe Richmond or Collingwood will agree to play their PA schedule home games at the G

Peanut
Cornes wants Port to play ALL of their games at home. Finals, too. If they make the GF, he’ll campaign for that to be at Adelaide and bleat Vic bias if it isn’t moved.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Cornes bringing up the old "Richmond get to play at the G 13 times argument". Is he mentally deficient?

There's FIVE clubs that share this ground, there's only TWO grounds in Melbourne to play on.

Does he *smile* and whine about Port getting 11 games at Adelaide oval where only TWO teams share?

Course not , deck head
I get the argument interstate clubs don't get to play at the G enough, sometimes clubs play there once, which if they do make the GF might put them at slight disadvantage.
But the issue isn't that Richmond, or Collingwood play there 14 times. It is that interstate teams get drawn against Melb teams in Tassie, Cairns, or worse- Docklands.

Reactions: 4 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I get the argument interstate clubs don't get to play at the G enough, sometimes clubs play there once, which if they do make the GF might put them at slight disadvantage.
But the issue isn't that Richmond, or Collingwood play there 14 times. It is that interstate teams get drawn against Melb teams in Tassie, Cairns, or worse- Docklands.

Exactly. If Freo want to play at the G, and we want to play our home games at the G, why are the AFL so focused on scheduling us at the dump.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Yep.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
The media narrative today was to focus on the positives. 'How good's footy?'
Must have been the general memo from AFL House.
Absolutely it was. The single biggest blunder of the year with the single biggest impact and its been near on crickets.

It’s this sort of *** that makes the footy fan hate the AFL. Dishonest, under handed, manipulative.

Another factor is that it’s just Richmond. If it had of been ….oh I dunno….let’s say Brisbane ….and they got hosed by the umpire in the last second of a game down at Geelong ….then we’d be talking about that for a full week.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
It's really really sad.
Instead of asking where the 15,000k missing from the Collingwood & Carlton game was.
They were creaming themselves of crowd of just 80k.
And from the TV there were vacant seats everywhere.

• Haha

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Absolutely it was. The single biggest blunder of the year with the single biggest impact and its been near on crickets.

It’s this sort of *** that makes the footy fan hate the AFL. Dishonest, under handed, manipulative.

Another factor is that it’s just Richmond. If it had of been ….oh I dunno….let’s say Brisbane ….and they got hosed by the umpire in the last second of a game down at Geelong ….then we’d be talking about that for a full week.

Flip the two teams in your comment and there would be much more noise

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty

Don't forget there are some of us who actually agree. Personally, I'm really enjoying the footy and seeing some great games.

Pure speculation, but had we not won any flags in the past few year and were flying now, I don't reckon there would be as much complaining about the game. I bet Melbourne, Fremantle, Carlton and St Kilda people haven't got too many issues.

• Haha

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Don't forget there are some of us who actually agree. Personally, I'm really enjoying the footy and seeing some great games.

Pure speculation, but had we not won any flags in the past few year and were flying now, I don't reckon there would be as much complaining about the game. I bet Melbourne, Fremantle, Carlton and St Kilda people haven't got too many issues.
Some of your posts are just so hard to read but this takes the cake. You love the game right now?
I was there every week from 1983- 2016 and can tell you the game of football was infinitely better then. Reckon I’d be in the 98% of the football loving population bracket.
I imagine you would probably love the manufactured X game too.

Reactions: 7 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Some of your posts are just so hard to read but this takes the cake. You love the game right now?
I was there every week from 1983- 2016 and can tell you the game of football was infinitely better then. Reckon I’d be in the 98% of the football loving population bracket.

Yes, I love the game right now, just like I loved it during the era you refer to. Not sure why an opinion on something completely subjective would be so shocking to you.

I thought our game on Friday was fantastic. Tough, fast and skilful. I watched Carlton play Collingwood Sunday and enjoyed that as well, but was a much different style of game.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Yes, I love the game right now, just like I loved it during the era you refer to. Not sure why an opinion on something completely subjective would be so shocking to you.

I thought our game on Friday was fantastic. Tough, fast and skilful. I watched Carlton play Collingwood Sunday and enjoyed that as well, but was a much different style of game.
I think it’s fair to say that the general consensus from most supporters and past players is that the game at the moment is in disarray and am shocked by your suggestion that our dissatisfaction arises from the fact that we are losing atm.

Stackey

Tiger Rookie
Jan 13, 2022
It's really really sad.
Instead of asking where the 15,000k missing from the Collingwood & Carlton game was.
They were creaming themselves of crowd of just 80k.
And from the TV there were vacant seats everywhere.
According to BT doing the TV telecast, at the start of the first Quarter the crowd was still streaming in!
Oh yeah, don't tell me it's raining when your pissing on my leg BT, I can see!