Former Richmond Player Stan Vandersluys has died aged 80. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Former Richmond Player Stan Vandersluys has died aged 80.

rbartlett

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 6, 2003
www.rhettrospective.com
Former Richmond and Fitzroy player Stan Vandersluys has died at the age of 80.

Interestingly, he was born one week before the Round 13 clash between Richmond and Fitzroy in 1924.

Stan served in the Air Force during the Second World War, after which he joined Fitzroy in 1946. He would play 47 games in the back line until 1952, when he moved across to Richmond.

A cousin of the famous Pannam family, he was coached by Alby Pannam upon his arrival to Richmond in 1953.
He played only 3 senior games for Richmond that year :-
Round 8 vs Footscray, Round 9 vs Nth Melbourne and Round 11 vs Hawthorn.

After his VFL career he coached East Brunswick and Diamond Creek.
All Richmond supporters express their sincere condolences to the Vandersluys family.

Rhett Bartlett
www.rhettrospective.com

I can't say Stan Vandersluys is a familiar name to me but it's always sad to lose one of our Tiger family.

R.I.P Stan.

Good on you for the work you do Rhett :clap It's important to have a link to the past so that players like Stan are not forgotten. Even though it seems he didn't have a huge career down at Tigerland he still pulled on the famous yellow and black jumper so deserves our respects. Sounds like old Vanders had a pretty interesting life anyway. All the best to his family.

RIP Stan.

Isn't it amazing that one one thread there's genuine affection for a man who played three games for us, but on others there's utter disdain and disrespect for someone who has played nearly 300. Priorities people - death can put them in perspective.

Sincere condolencies to the family.