Forum Migration | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Forum Migration

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
  • FORUM MIGRATION

So here we go into the unknown of what we hope will be a smooth transition!

I will edit into this post if anything changes and highlight them for you guys to see.

Here are the steps:

[list type=decimal]
  • The site will be locked down so that the database can be migrated FRIDAY 21/06 at midnight.
  • The migration will occur over quite a few hours from midnight Melbourne Time (12 am SAT 22/06 to about 8am SAT 22/06)
  • The forum will be switched back on at about 8 am on SAT 22/06
  • IMPORTANT: Make sure your email is current just in case you need to reset your PW!

So Saturday will be a very busy morning for me. Making sure that the forum is up and running as per the original. This is where you guys come in, please be patient with me as this is quite a nerve-racking process.

The most important thing for you guys is that you can log back in. Don’t worry about your labels/tags if they have not come across, or you have an issue drop me a note in here so that I can fix as soon as I can. Also, there will be many features that may not be configured on the first day.

Take your time to become familiar with the new forum.

Then once everything settles down we will apply a new PRE over the top of the migration template.

--------------------------------------
Additional things…
Other content that has been there for a long time will be reviewed how significant or relevant it is to the community, and may be updated and re-introduced over time.
If you have bookmarked the site, be sure to update it once it comes back to www.puntroadend.com and not to the old forum boards.
We will also add SSL to the domain. From our hosting co: Installing an SSL Certificate helps keep your customer’s personal information and sensitive data secure, letting your visitors know that your website can be trusted.
One more thing…
Once the migration settles, we will apply a theme over the top, don't be frightened - change is good, maybe not all the time but in this case, it will.

I think that’s about it for now, keep coming back to see if I’ve added any new items to this post, I will colour any edits I make so you can quickly read.

Wish me luck (don’t need to post just a little pray)

Thanks for your support, Go Tiges!
T.
[/list]

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Good Luck Mr T. Forum migrations are scary work. The thought of doing one to a forum as old is this is not something I envy you doing.

BTW, what forum sw are you migrating too, or just bringing SMF to the latest stable?

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
Baloo said:
Good Luck Mr T. Forum migrations are scary work. The thought of doing one to a forum as old is this is not something I envy you doing.

BTW, what forum sw are you migrating too, or just bringing SMF to the latest stable?
Moving to Xenforo, good looking templates and seems to be supported well.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Mr T. said:
Moving to Xenforo, good looking templates and seems to be supported well.

Good choice. The old vBulliten developers off-shoot. The new bells and whistles around here will blow people's minds. Good Luck ! (and please enable the Ignore feature on Day 1)

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Mr T. said:
[list type=decimal]
[*]The site will be locked down so that the database can be migrated FRIDAY 21/06 at midnight.
[*]The migration will occur over quite a few hours from midnight Melbourne Time (12 am SAT 22/06 to about 8am SAT 22/06)
[*]The forum will be switched back on at about 8 am on SAT 22/06
[/list]

Make sure you put in for overtime.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
What's going to change? Is the face (as we see now....yellow font, black background) still going to be the same?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Good luck Mr T.

And huge thanks for doing this, forum administration is a thankless task at times. We love having this place and are very grateful for the work put in to keep it going :clap :clapping :gotigers

DS

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
TigerForce said:
What's going to change? Is the face (as we see now....yellow font, black background) still going to be the same?
Not to shock, the colours will be similar... then when it settles after a few days we have a new design which will be tweaked over time to find the right balance. I hope to be able to offer a white background option at a later date.

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
DavidSSS said:
Good luck Mr T.

And huge thanks for doing this, forum administration is a thankless task at times. We love having this place and are very grateful for the work put in to keep it going :clap :clapping :gotigers

DS
Thx DS.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
Good luck with it all MrT.

Looking forward to many more years of PRE...!