Francis Bourke answers PREnders questions | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Francis Bourke answers PREnders questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
Francis Bourke answers questions from members of PuntRoadEnd

@Claudio: What were the circumstances, that led Raines, Wood and Cloke to leave Richmond?
For at least five to ten years, we really never recovered from the lost of personnel.

FB: This is a question that probably would be better answered by them. Back in those times, the rules provided that if a club and a player could not reach agreement on terms of a contract renewal, then the player could not be retained by the club against his wishes. In other words, the player was free to leave, subject to satisfactory arrangements being made between his former club and the prospective new one. This rule was implemented to protect the rules and regulations of the then VFL from court challenge under restrictive trade practices laws. This situation gave the player significant leverage in negotiations and meant that after a certain amount of time had elapsed, the player could go to an appeal tribunal and be cleared to another club free of transfer fees etc. This forced the Club to negotiate with the new Club in order to salvage something in return. Of course opposition Clubs got wind of when contracts of certain players were finishing their contracted time and made tempting offers, sometimes for no other purpose other than to mischievously make life difficult for opposition clubs to retain their players. It was in this environment that these players left and as I mentioned earlier, why they left is a question that the players concerned would be better placed to answer.

@BrisTiger24: Is there any player currently at Richmond that you think shares similar traits/strengths to those that you showed as a player?
FB: Bit hard for me to say, as we are all different, but generally speaking, all players have similar aspirations and dreams although individual styles, physiques, and qualities can differ enormously.

@tigersnake: Did you prefer playing on the centreline or the backline?
FB: Playing on the wing was the simplest and most straightforward position to play. If your opponent got a kick, it was not as likely to be as damaging as it would be if your opponent was a forward and perhaps having a shot for goal for example. So when playing on the wing, you could back yourself in when making decisions of an attacking nature whereas you had to be more careful in decision making when playing on the backline etc. To a certain extent I operated on the idea that if I had the ball then my opponent didn’t, but of course it was never a straightforward decision like it was when playing further up the ground.

What were the main changes you had to make to your game when you shifted to the backline?
FB: See the previous answer.

Did those changes (if any) come naturally?
FB: Mostly came through application of common sense.

If you had your time again, would you have been as vigorous with Mick Malthouse's fitness test before the 1982 GF?
FB: Probably, as much as I would have loved to have Michael in our side for the GF. He had suffered a dislocated shoulder 12 days earlier in the semi final which is a serious injury at any time let alone when you are getting ready for the toughest battle of the year. It was an unbelievable effort (the best effort I have seen in terms of rehab and courage) on his part to present himself for selection after such a short time. I do believe that despite his valour, Michael would have broken down in the GF and I think that the test showed that.

What about the 'problem' of having two of the best big forwards in the comp, would you have done anything different there?
FB: I didn’t see this as a problem, rather it brought an extra dimension to our game to have Michael Roach using his wonderful athletic gifts to our advantage further up the ground. To have a 6ft 5’’ half forward flanker who could mark and kick like he could, was always going to be problem for opposition backlines. Bryan Taylor had played well enough to justify an opportunity at full forward, so it simply was an exercise in resource management to use them both effectively.

There's been a lot of speculation over the years, but what do you believe was the main catalyst for the exodus of star players after 1982?
FB: See earlier answer.

@Tigerdog: How do you rate the current team....player by player?
FB: I don’t want to get into an exercise as large as you ask but I would say the I would rate each of them probably in a similar way that you do.

@Anduril: Will we ever revert to the type of Bourke, Barrot, Clay centre line or has the game changed too much?
FB: There will always be room for good players (I don’t mean to sound like I am egotistical) on the centreline. In those times we had a strong teams with lots of good players and this gave Tom Hafey the flexibility of being able to play us where he did.

@ChiangMaiTiger: Did you ever have to match up on Royce during an intra club game and if so did you let him get a kick?
FB: I don’t remember ever playing on Royce at all, which was fortunate for me because he was a far better player than what I was.

What Grand Final you played in would you consider to be your favourite and why?
FB: I cant tell which was best because they were all special in their own way. I can tell you however, which was the worst!

How much influence did the late Graeme Richmond have in the actual game day set up and who played in the side?
FB: Graeme had quite a significant influence on match day. His friendship with Tom Hafey allowed him the opportunity to bring to the players his enormous wisdom and knowledge of football in general and of footballers in particular. He was also club secretary for about 5 years, a committeeman for many years, a selector for some of those years and as a result had a huge input into the daily affairs and the general running of the club.

You were reported as considering leaving Richmond back in 77 when Tom Hafey was appointed coach of Collingwood. How much did his departure affect you and did other players feel the loss badly?
FB: Although I was sorry to see Tom leave the Tigers, I did not ever consider leaving the Tigers for a moment. I never received an offer and I am surprised that this question should be asked. When we played against Collingwood for the first time, it felt a little strange playing against him after such an eventful and happy time playing for him. There were 92,000 people at the MCG on that memorable day to watch the Tigers go down.

Carl Ditterich was reported as always looking forward to playing and beating Richmond. Did you have a favourite team or opponent you looked forward to matching up against?
FB: No not really. All opposition was the enemy and no quarter was asked for or given. I wouldn’t know why Carl felt that way about us, but it was always a ding dong go against them, especially at Moorabbin.

I read that your father had some initial concerns about losing you to football. What would Francis Bourke have done with his life if he didn't go to the big smoke back in the 60's?
FB: I would have probably been a dairy farmer at Nathalia, played footy for Nathalia where I grew up and lived happily ever after there with my wife Kerry who grew up not far from where our farm was. I had got to know her while I was still living at home. For the first 3 years of my time with the Tigers, I travelled back to Melbourne from the farm each weekend to play, and then returned home after the match.

@Tiger12: How does the losing GF of 1972 as a player compare with the losing GF of 1982 as coach?
FB: Good question. I felt much worse after the 1982 GF that what I did in 1972, although that was bad enough. This was because I felt so responsible for the performance of the whole team as coach, whereas as a player I was responsible for my own performance only.

Was playing Carlton in the 1973 GF extra motivation to redeem the previous year?
FB: To me the fact that we were beaten so convincingly in the 1972 GF was the motivational factor rather than the fact that we happened to be playing Carlton itself again.

Is there one club above any other that you despise?
FB: I did not despise anyone who I played against but I was very keen to win and was prepared to do whatever it took to achieve it (within the rules of course)

Of your 5 premierships, was there one (or more) where you felt Richmond was unbeatable? If so, why?
FB: Not once did I ever feel we were unbeatable. I am not made that way and I played better and so did the team I always thought, when we felt that our opponent whoever they happened to be, had a chance of knocking us off.

How much credit can Kevin Sheedy take as skills coach in 1980 for that years flag?
FB: Kevin was one of many who played an important part in our success that year.

You would rate as one of the most courageous players to ever pull the boots on, was there ever an occasion where you felt genuine fear, or was that secondary in your consideration?
FB: Of course there were many times I was worried, but for the most part I was able to put the thought of danger out of my mind.

Dyer Ere: How do you rate the career of Duncan Kellaway?
FB: Duncan is a player who I have always admired. Like his brother Andrew, his willingness to put his body into the contest was fantastic as we all know. I also think that despite his kicking limitations, he was much underrated as a player. His ability to beat excellent opposition players in straight out competition man to man was exceptional. I think that if he had been as good at kicking the ball as Andrew and given a better run with injury, he would have achieved all time great status as a Tiger player.

Do you remember Neil Balme running the length of the ground and jobbing Gareth Andrews during a preseason practice game in 1974? Why did he do it? (Andrews was playing for Richmond at the time.)
FB: I don’t have any recollection of this happening at all and I am skeptical about this incident ever taking place. Neil Balme was a strong and committed teammate and the idea that that this was done deliberately to me is fanciful and it just would not have happened. Anyway, Gareth didn’t come to Richmond until mid season of 1974, so he didn’t play any pre season games. So I cant see how this would have happened. In fact impossible.

What did you think of Neil Balme as a teammate and as a bloke?
FB: Neil Balme should have been a candidate for RFC Team of The Century. As you would know he played for many years in the forward pocket which given the comparatively few opportunities to get possession of the ball for easy confidence boosting touches in an amazing achievement. He also played well in finals which is always a tough gig for forwards, played in front with enduring courage, kicked well and displayed great agility for such a big man. He also played as our No1 ruckman with distinction in later years and above all was the ultimate team player. He has huge respect from me and I am sure all his other teammates as well.

How did you feel about Barrett's departure?
FB: No-one likes to see their teammate leave the Club for any reason and I think that everyone felt the same. Billy is one of my favourite footy people and I have a strong sense of gratitude to him because of his many wonderful big game performances, especially in finals. However, we were excited by the prospect of having Ian Stewart come into the Club. That’s footy.

How do you rate the career of Matthew Knights?
FB: He was one of the players who carried the banner for the Tigers in very difficult times and for that I will always feel indebted to him and to the other players as well. It wasn’t his fault that the RFC went through tough times during his career. He battled hard and even if he had been in a strong club he would have been an excellent player.

@billyb#40: Did you really run off the ground with a broken leg? (I think against Hawthorn at Glenferrie Oval)
FB: I didn’t know it was broken at the time. There was no need for a stretcher, it was a bit sore and I knew that I couldn’t play with it the way it was.

Who broke it?
FB: I slipped as I was trying to swerve past an opponent after gaining possession of the ball, and heard quite a loud crack as I sprawled over. So I did it to myself.

What did you do to him the next time you played?
FB: N/A

When you retired you said footy was an emotional game. Is it still for you and is it still for the current players?
FB: Yes it is and I would hope that it is for the current players. I believe that it is impossible for anyone to play at maximum revs week in and week out if is not.

Does any other Tiger family have three generations that played for the tigers, Frank, Francis and David.
FB: I don’t think so

Thanks for the memories of being a legendary competitor for the Tigers, may the memory never be forgotten.
FB: Thanks for your kind words. I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time at the RFC and I had a wonderful time- don’t you worry about that !.

@Hayfever: How much does it mean to be honoured as a Tiger immortal alongside Dyer, Hafey and Bartlett?
FB: It is difficult to quantify. All I can say is that I am quite chuffed and it is an unexpected bonus to be honoured in this way.

Did the streaker cost us the 1982 Premiership and was she a Carlton "plant"?
FB: Your guess would be as good as mine.

Your opinion of Matthew Richardson and what was his father like as a player?
FB: Both have been influential players in their own way. Matthew is so well documented that you don’t need me to elaborate on his gifts. His Dad Allan was the prime mover in the Tiger renaissance of the 60’s because of his ability to get the ball out of packs and in to the open through his great handball skills. He was tough, quite mobile, a reliable kick and much underrated. I can remember that the wonderful mentor coach Len Smith had ideas of making him captain of the Tiger reserves so he could teach the younger players by his example of what the then modern game was all about. However this idea was scrapped when Allan’s form proved to be so good that it was decided that it was the senior team that needed his skills. As a result Allan played an important role in our 1967 premiership.

@Al Bundy: In 1982 GF team set-up question. Probably a few things that could have been done differently?. Should you have played Brian Taylor in hindsight?
FB: Possibly, but Brian broke down and injured his knee again in the Brisbane Commonwealth Games Grand Final Replay match which was held in Brisbane a couple of weeks after the grand final.

During the Grand Final do you believe the rain affected the team structure & performance?
FB: Maybe it did but I haven’t thought about it very much. Carlton played better than what we did in the second half and won the match comfortably. I have never watched the replay to be honest and I don’t intend to. What is done is done is done and I moved on accordingly after a little while.

With the streaker do you believe she broke the momentum in the game & cost Richmond dearly? (eg Do you believe that it gave time for Carlton to re-group?)
FB: Hard to say.

Do you believe the RFC should have paid the extra money to the players that left the club in the early eighties to keep the team together?
FB: With the benefit of hindsight, the money that was being paid to players then seem paltry compared to today’s players remuneration, so maybe we should have. But of course judgements were made then that were based on the values that were in vogue at the time. It didn’t take long for the Tiger coffers to become so depleted that our future existence as a club became was threatened. This situation arose because of irresponsible financial commitments being made to players that the club was not able to honour.

Who was the biggest influence in your career? (1) in your development as a player & (2)who motivated you the most to perform?)
FB: 1. My Father Frank Bourke, my school coach Brother Domnus. 2. Tom Hafey and Graeme Richmond

Not taking finals into consideration & purely just looking at the home& away games, which year did you feel the club performed the best & was the most enjoyable (Including when you coached)?
FB: I don’t think finals can be separated from the rest of any season. However I think that my first year was probably the most enjoyable for me from a “fun” point of view. It was new, exciting, exhilarating and because I was a new player into the RFC, there were low expectations of me, hence compared to later years anyway, not so much pressure and responsibility.

@newyorktiger: Why do you think the club lost focus in the mid-'80s?
FB: See earlier questions

Why do you think it has taken so long to correct the ship?
FB: I don’t have a complete answer to this question and the truth of the matter probably lies in many many aspects of club management.

The "Eat 'em Alive" philosophy has been a great cornerstone of the RFC. It has produced some great successes. Do you think that attitude in the '80s and '90s has been detrimental to the club?
FB: I am not sure what you exactly mean by the “Eat ‘em Alive’ philosophy.

How great was it to smash Collingwood in a Grand Final?
FB: Pretty hard to beat!

@graystar1: Were you good friends with your famous centreline of yourself, *smile* Clay and Billy Barrott?
FB: Yes we were and we still are.

Did the three of you have set plays with each other?
FB: Apart from looking out for each other, not really.

Francis Bourke Go Tigers
THANK YOU FRANCIS

Francis Bourke
  • Hall of Fame Inductee: 2002
  • Playing Career: 1967 – 1981
  • Games: 300
  • Goals: 71
  • Premierships: 1967, 1969, 1973, 1974, 1980
  • Best & Fairest: 1970
  • RFC Captain: 1976 – 1977
  • RFC Senior Coach: 1982 – 1983
  • Interstate Games: 13