Frawley keeps it simple | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Frawley keeps it simple

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Samantha Lane
afl.com.au
2:08:33 PM Fri 16 May, 2003

Danny Frawley’s message to the Tigers this week ahead of the round eight encounter with Melbourne is simple – get your hands on the ball.

Speaking at Punt Road before the club’s final training run on Friday morning, the Tigers’ coach said his side was wary of the Demons’ ability to score quick goals through its speedy midfield.

“We’ve just got to make sure we can win our fair share of the ball. If we’re able to do that we might be able to get into a winning position,” he said.

“If we don’t do that we’ll really pay the price on the scoreboard because what Melbourne are able to do is score very quickly, so we’ve just got to make sure we can get first hands on the ball.”

“Melbourne are a really quick team. They really ran Port ragged last week, so we realise they’re one of the best running teams in the competition,” Frawley said.

Frawley said he rated the underachieving Demons as a “genuine team”, after they ended a three-match losing streak by beating Port Adelaide at the MCG last week.

“We see them as a really good, well balanced team. We see them as a genuine team and somewhere around the mark with us.”

Star forward Matthew Richardson trained well on Friday, and looks a certainly to play in Saturday night’s match at the MCG after missing the last two weeks with a hamstring injury.

Frawley said he would be starting Richardson on the ground, and that the club had been cautious with the injury-prone star by leaving him out of last week’s side.

“He’ll be starting. He’s done a hell of a lot of work.”

“It’s great to have him back. Our forward line’s been kicking a lot of team goals and Matty’s been a part of that before he got injured, and I’m sure he’ll slot straight back into the role.”

“He trained the house down last Friday, but we’ve given him the extra week. The doctors, it’s their decision, they said he’s right to play and I’ll play him, that’s always been the case at our club,” Frawley said.