Free Agency 2021 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Free Agency 2021

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
With Kelly where does he play?
Wings are out cos we have big ugly brutes there.
In the guts its Dusty Shedda Dion Shai JackG and the skipper. All about the contest.
Not that I dont rate Kelly and acknowledge he is a 2 way runner that we like, but where does he play?
And why pay so much for a (very good) change mid?
I'd be guessing as a general mid rotation through midfield, half forward and wing whilst Wingers are having a breather.

Similar role to Lambo is what I'm trying to say.

Lets just get Rowell and have him under Chimp and Duzz for 2 years, real development not Gold Coast garbaaaaage.

Imagine the melts ........................... Tigers go 3 peat in 21 then poach Rowell, or Kelly or another gun that will make Tiger Haters pisss boil countrywide.

Gil the dill would want to have us struck from the 2022 season

Last edited:

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Lets just get Rowell and have him under Chimp and Duzz for 2 years, real development not Gold Coast garbaaaaage.

They did a pretty good job bringing dion and big tom along?

Id be way more reluctant to persue GWS-raised kids.

Towner being their only offspring to succeed if i recall correctly?

Thats what? 2%?

Reactions: 1 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
I hope Collingwood are into the very same gun we are and he nominates us .....................................................cos he'll get paid !!!

And might get a chance to win a flag.
That would be *smile* funny.
Says no to collingwobbles as he seems them as unstable

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
They did a pretty good job bringing dion and big tom along?

Id be way more reluctant to persue GWS-raised kids.

Towner being their only offspring to succeed if i recall correctly?

Thats what? 2%?
Good point re GWS Eee Zeee baby re GWS.

Marchbank, Lobb and Wilson have been good pick ups for the Bloos and Frockers and Trelol and Adams have been good for the Maggots but for the amount of top enders theyve traded out they havnt really made big impacts.

Dev Smith hit and miss at the Drugs. but inconsistant

Tom Boyd was for one finals series then vanished, same really for Towner 6-8 weeks of purple patch stuff.

Not much else to write home about.

Plenty of other high rated kids that have just disolved into the AFL ether.

I forgot to mention King.

We'll take him and Rowell as a package deal :)):)) ..........I wish.

Last edited:

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Not a free agent, but the talk about Cerra becoming a Tiger at the end of this season has not gone away in the West.

Could just be typical wishful thinking on the part of Dockers supporters. They seem to think Bolton would go the other way.

They aren’t called purple haze for no reason.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

Marchbank, Lobb and Wilson have been good pick ups for the Bloos and Frockers and Trelol and Adams have been good for the Maggots but for the amount of top enders theyve traded out they havnt really made big impacts.

Tom Boyd in on finals series then vanished, same really for Towner 6-8 weeks of purple patch stuff.

I forgot tom Boyd.

if premierships = success (we can apply that criteria now),

gws have produced 2 successful players

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004

Tom Boyd in on finals series then vanished, same really for Towner 6-8 weeks of purple patch stuff.

Did Jack Steele come from GWS?

Reactions: 1 users

The Lurker

In Victory We Thrive, Eat Em Alive
Nov 24, 2003
Melbourne
I hope Collingwood are into the very same gun we are and he nominates us .....................................................cos he'll get paid !!!

And might get a chance to win a flag.
Agree, has to have hurt them as a destination

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I'm not convinced Kelly would be a good target.

I think for our stage free agency is either about filling a role or attracting a marquee player.

Kelly would be on marquee money but I don't think he has the capacity to have a marquee impact on games. If we are asking guys to shave salary to fit someone in then I think you risk morale by doing so for someone who doesn't cut it as a superstar.

A Bontempelli or Cripps is going to come in and tear games apart, they will make the difference in results. Kelly would come in and play very solid football, have great numbers and be a very good player but he won't have a huge influence on the win/loss column as an individual player.
Disagree, we haven’t even seen peak Josh Kelly. He will be 27 at Round 1 this year.

We don’t need marquee, we have Dusty, we have Lynch, we have Dion, we have Grimes, we have Vlastuin to lead the next wave and we have culture. We don’t need someone to come in and take over, we need someone to fit and be a top 5 talent for the next four years. Kelly fills a pressing need, elite midfield talent that can extend the window.

And peak Kelly can be the best player in the AFL in our side. Cripps & Bont are long shots to leave. In fact I’ll be gobsmacked if either of them move. GWS is in a stat of flux, change is happening, Kelly will come home, he fits us. It’s a match.

Reactions: 5 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Disagree, we haven’t even seen peak Josh Kelly. He will be 27 at Round 1 this year.

We don’t need marquee, we have Dusty, we have Lynch, we have Dion, we have Grimes, we have Vlastuin to lead the next wave and we have culture. We don’t need someone to come in and take over, we need someone to fit and be a top 5 talent for the next four years. Kelly fills a pressing need, elite midfield talent that can extend the window.

And peak Kelly can be the best player in the AFL in our side. Cripps & Bont are long shots to leave. In fact I’ll be gobsmacked if either of them move. GWS is in a stat of flux, change is happening, Kelly will come home, he fits us. It’s a match.
Nailed it Scoop.

What money would he command?

5 years @ $800k per year?

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
Nailed it Scoop.

What money would he command?

5 years @ $800k per year?
That sounds possible. We are in the rare and enviable position where players will potentially come to us for less than their market price. We are the destination club at the moment and we should be looking to take advantage of it.

Reactions: 2 users

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014

We don’t need marquee, we have Dusty, we have Lynch, we have Dion, we have Grimes, we have Vlastuin to lead the next wave and we have culture. We don’t need someone to come in and take over, we need someone to fit and be a top 5 talent for the next four years. Kelly fills a pressing need, elite midfield talent that can fextend the window.

And peak Kelly can be the best player in the AFL in our side. Cripps & Bont are long shots to leave. In fact I’ll be gobsmacked if either of them move. GWS is in a stat of flux, change is happening, Kelly will come home, he fits us. It’s a mat

I'm not convinced Kelly would be a good target.

I think for our stage free agency is either about filling a role or attracting a marquee player.

Kelly would be on marquee money but I don't think he has the capacity to have a marquee impact on games. If we are asking guys to shave salary to fit someone in then I think you risk morale by doing so for someone who doesn't cut it as a superstar.

A Bontempelli or Cripps is going to come in and tear games apart, they will make the difference in results. Kelly would come in and play very solid football, have great numbers and be a very good player but he won't have a huge influence on the win/loss column as an individual player.
TBR, reckon I almost never agree with any of your posts!!

But I agree totally on this one. Personally, I dont even rate Kelly as highly as others do. I watch him closely, to be honest, I watch all the GWS games as I am fascinated by which players GWS let go to other Clubs vs who they've prioritised to keep, the media hype and their draft/trade strategy, etc.
Genuinely, they fascinate me as a Club, their draft and trade strategies, their decision making on who to keep vs who to let go and what in a very big way, might be an opportunity passed. I really like Leon Cameron, but he's not the right coach - and has not been for many years. And Simon Matthews is one of the more interesting CEOs - in good and bad ways I think. He's too emotional, hands on and blunt for my liking. But they've been burnt so I understand his angst. And deep down, I dont think he is even that sure about his coach.

Anyway.. back to kelly. 7 out of 10 player at best IMO.

He is a graceful looking player, sort of how Lids looked good at times. Classy looking. And Kelly has some good games. But at his asking money, and for his genuine, sustainable impact on games, I'd bet my house that he's not a target for us. And not worth it at all for what GWS will want. Totally agree with TBR re: his lack of 'marquee' impact on games. I would have loved Whitfield 1-2 years ago as the Houli replacement but that time has passed too. Whitfield is a competitor, but like many of those from their early inception, who they have kept and are on big money, Whitfield is just playing for the dough now. As is Greene and even Haynes.

Agree also re Bontempelli as a better possible target. But as a Captain and loyal person, that's never going to happen unless something goes seriously wrong with their coach/club. Two years ago I wanted Cripps. He's body wont last, its been beaten up too much carrying their midfield and while I really would like for Cripps to have success, I dont know how long he has. I'd honestly pass on him too.

For me, I'd throw everything (not a free agent) at the King Brother up north or Lukosias or Sam Taylor at GWS or some of Sydney's midfielders picked in the 2nd and 3rd rounds these last few years look good. And because some of the Freo blokes might start getting sick of the defensive coaching of Longmuir (a very good coach I think), there might be something there. Even if Peter Bell is the 2nd coming of Dodoro, plays the trade only his way, that might make it too hard to prise the quality Freo players out.

And then there's Jarrod Brander? Pick 13, a Victorian who in my opinion, has never quite looked settled at WCE. But can he really play? I really dont know.

Reactions: 2 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
That sounds possible. We are in the rare and enviable position where players will potentially come to us for less than their market price. We are the destination club at the moment and we should be looking to take advantage of it.
Thought the Sooks were the #1 destanayshun club

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Agree that Kelly is overrated. Nice player but just doesn't impact games enough when the heat is on.

There is one standout who suits us perfectly:

- getability
- wage (high, but not ridiculous)
- free-agent
- would leave his club
- two way runner - tackles (5.3 career average)
- wins the ball for fun (4th league disposals 2020)
- has pace & endurance
- Moves the ball forward (7th in metres gained in 2020) which we love
- suits our style down to the ground
- Only 25

No-one has really mentioned for a while and should be clear number 1 target ILHO

Zach Merrett

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Agree that Kelly is overrated. Nice player but just doesn't impact games enough when the heat is on.

There is one standout who suits us perfectly:

- getability
- wage (high, but not ridiculous)
- free-agent
- would leave his club
- two way runner - tackles (5.3 career average)
- wins the ball for fun (4th league disposals 2020)
- has pace & endurance
- Moves the ball forward (7th in metres gained in 2020) which we love
- suits our style down to the ground
- Only 25

No-one has really mentioned for a while and should be clear number 1 target ILHO

Zach Merrett
And is starved of success.
He wouldlove a stable successful club