Free Agency 2021 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Free Agency 2021

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
Agree that Kelly is overrated. Nice player but just doesn't impact games enough when the heat is on.

There is one standout who suits us perfectly:

- getability
- wage (high, but not ridiculous)
- free-agent
- would leave his club
- two way runner - tackles (5.3 career average)
- wins the ball for fun (4th league disposals 2020)
- has pace & endurance
- Moves the ball forward (7th in metres gained in 2020) which we love
- suits our style down to the ground
- Only 25

No-one has really mentioned for a while and should be clear number 1 target ILHO

Zach Merrett

Agree Leysy, but the only problem is dealing with that arsehat Dodoro, is that he's going to match what we offer Merrett which means that we'll have to trade for him. And with Dodoro doing Dodoro things, he's going to ask for 2 first rounders and a second.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Agree Leysy, but the only problem is dealing with that arsehat Dodoro, is that he's going to match what we offer Merrett which means that we'll have to trade for him. And with Dodoro doing Dodoro things, he's going to ask for 2 first rounders and a second.

I like the Merrett option too. Cheaper than the others, but probably suits out style better.

On the trade value, depends on where the Bombers finish. Bottom 5 and I doubt they match, we have little to give them. Regardless of what we think of Geelong they will make finals and probably win 1. We will win the premiership again so they might get Pick 18, and Pick 14 or so and then some chump change, or they can take a top 5 picks. The best option for them would be taking the best talent whilst they are rebuilding. It would be stupid of them to give up 2 top 6 picks in next years draft. If they finish 9th to 113th it probably makes it a bit more difficult and probably means they will match and force a trade which means we lose both picks.

So lets all do the right thing, and send bad thoughts to the Bombers and hope they finish bottom 5 (oh we do that every year anyway, ok so rinse repeat :D

Reactions: 2 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Agree that Kelly is overrated. Nice player but just doesn't impact games enough when the heat is on.

- getability
- free-agent
- would leave his club
- has pace & endurance
- Only 25

No-one has really mentioned for a while and should be clear number 1 target ILHO

Zach Merrett
Good call.

Either way I think he is gone from the Bombers. Has already put contract talks on hold.

Someone is definitely into his ear already.

Reactions: 1 user

Butch67

Tiger Rookie
Mar 31, 2014
Merrett is a good footballer, but imo he does what cotch used to get bagged for, likes to run around behind to get a cheap stat

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Good call.

Either way I think he is gone from the Bombers. Has already put contract talks on hold.

Someone is definitely into his ear already.
Might be us the Blues, Hawks or the Skunks, even the Kangas would have to go hard at him, he's too young for the Sooks to go after, and the Dogs have blown their budget on Treloar.

Same for Kelly.

Houli leaving and Rance opens up Cap Space for a gun, the Tigers are in for some one or at least chipping at a couple of guys for sure, otherwise we wouldve dipped a fair bit deeper into the draft.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Much rather see Merrett or Kelly in RFC guernsey than Brad Crouch to be honest.

Reactions: 4 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I like the Merrett option too. Cheaper than the others, but probably suits out style better.

On the trade value, depends on where the Bombers finish. Bottom 5 and I doubt they match, we have little to give them. Regardless of what we think of Geelong they will make finals and probably win 1. We will win the premiership again so they might get Pick 18, and Pick 14 or so and then some chump change, or they can take a top 5 picks. The best option for them would be taking the best talent whilst they are rebuilding. It would be stupid of them to give up 2 top 6 picks in next years draft. If they finish 9th to 113th it probably makes it a bit more difficult and probably means they will match and force a trade which means we lose both picks.

So lets all do the right thing, and send bad thoughts to the Bombers and hope they finish bottom 5 (oh we do that every year anyway, ok so rinse repeat :D
Yeah dealing with Dodo is not what the RFC wants

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004

- getability
- free-agent
- would leave his club
- has pace & endurance
- Only 25

Zach Merrett

Learned minds old boy....

I’m in the minority but I think Kelly is terribly overrated.

The only one I like is Zach Merrett but he’s contracted for ‘21 and allegedly wants big money $800/900k.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
He's got a million dollar a season deal for the next 8 years so I can't see how anyone gets him as a restricted free agent for less than that.
FMD. He's not bad, but why would anyone be crazy enough to put that fat a contract under his nose? More importantly, why would anyone try n top it?

Reactions: 1 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Our strict 1st round pick policy has been in place for 16 of 17 years leading up to and into our dominant era.

This policy means we’re unlikely to trade one 1st rounder away, let alone both.

The only exception was thoroughly justified with multiple clear reasons.

2016: Young (Long-term player), former vice captain (Leadership), top 10 pick (obvious talent), with runs on the board (2nd best AFL mid pre-injury) who we headhunted as a specific list need 2 years earlier, complimenting a young star core already locked away in long-term contracts, part of a broader trade strategy for multiple 23-25yos, it wasn’t an arbitrary trade for talent’s sake, and we made the deal a year earlier after being the 5th most successful team over 3 years with a young list on a clear, upward trajectory over 6 years.

That was what it took for 1 exception to be made with trading out a single 1st rounder over the past 17 years.

I’d really hate to see us trading away our 1st rounders now. You’d need an overwhelmingly justifiable reason to deviate from such a clear-headed, long-term, successful strategy.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Just had a quick look at a couple of Kelly's important numbers, not match stats.
Turns 26 in a couple of weeks.
2018 played 16 games of a possible 24.
2019 played 18 games of a possible 26.
2020 played 14 games of a possible 17.
If as suggested he's got an 8 year deal at $1 mill per year dangling in front of him, that looks to me overs on his game influence. Way overs for his probable longevity / reliability.
Maybe he's copped a couple of unfortunate, in play injuries. But to my line of thinking regularly missing games each year when he should be in his physical peak years would indicate a high risk of frailty in his later years.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne

- getability
- free-agent
- would leave his club
- has pace & endurance
- Only 25

Zach Merrett
I thought you mentioned impacts games , cant say I’ve ever noticed , no way I’d pay him inflated wages , he ll move for like 800 plus , no bloody way

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I thought you mentioned impacts games , cant say I’ve ever noticed , no way I’d pay him inflated wages , he ll move for like 800 plus , no bloody way

I think Merrett would be an out and out gun in our midfield. Remember he is carrying the Bummers midfield on his back like a camel.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Why would GWS let him go as a restricted free agent for 800k when they have already budgeted for him to be paid a million for the next 8 years?

They will match 800k in a heartbeat and sit back and ask for 3 picks in the top 20 for a trade.
I was talking about Merrett

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
I think Merrett would be an out and out gun in our midfield. Remember he is carrying the Bummers midfield on his back like a camel.
He reminds me too much of Heppell and Shiel theta keep themselves busy doing nothing , neither ever impact a game that leaves you thinking sheesh ,,,it’s why Ess are crap , it’s no accident

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
At least one triple premiership player is likely to retire at the end of this season. A second and possibly a third multi may also finish up.

The club has kept tight. Players are well supported. Players have been loyal.
We have some excellent prospects coming through.
Last year Balta and Bolton moved to the first rank.
This year expect CD, Dow, Ralphsmith and Martyn to be given opportunities, and do well.
There is no area where we have a glaring deficiency.

Money should be spent on long term contracts for Balta/Bolton and 2 yr contracts for the rest.
Maybe we will trade out a few and then hit the draft.

Reactions: 4 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
He reminds me too much of Heppell and Shiel theta keep themselves busy doing nothing , neither ever impact a game that leaves you thinking sheesh ,,,it’s why Ess are crap , it’s no accident

I don't think he's anything like those. IMO Heppell is massively overrated. He';s been bog average for a few years now. Shiel they thought they were recruiting a gun but got him.

Merrett I see more in the mould of Cotch in 2015/16. Accumulates a lot due to stale and slow play style. Reckon he would excel massively in a quicker game plan (like ours). He's a good kick, tackles well and runs both ways. He's the prototype of a Richmond player and reckon he will excel much like Cotch did when better players were added around him.

Reactions: 3 users