Free Agency 2021 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact [email protected] // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check that your email is correct and also your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT! Our inbox is full of email errors from members who have not updated their emails, please follow the instructions on how to update here
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Free Agency 2021

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Agree that Kelly is overrated. Nice player but just doesn't impact games enough when the heat is on.

There is one standout who suits us perfectly:

- getability
- wage (high, but not ridiculous)
- free-agent
- would leave his club
- two way runner - tackles (5.3 career average)
- wins the ball for fun (4th league disposals 2020)
- has pace & endurance
- Moves the ball forward (7th in metres gained in 2020) which we love
- suits our style down to the ground
- Only 25

No-one has really mentioned for a while and should be clear number 1 target ILHO

Zach Merrett
I thought you mentioned impacts games , cant say I’ve ever noticed , no way I’d pay him inflated wages , he ll move for like 800 plus , no bloody way

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I thought you mentioned impacts games , cant say I’ve ever noticed , no way I’d pay him inflated wages , he ll move for like 800 plus , no bloody way

I think Merrett would be an out and out gun in our midfield. Remember he is carrying the Bummers midfield on his back like a camel.

Reactions: 2 users

The Big Richo

Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty

Why would GWS let him go as a restricted free agent for 800k when they have already budgeted for him to be paid a million for the next 8 years?

They will match 800k in a heartbeat and sit back and ask for 3 picks in the top 20 for a trade.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Why would GWS let him go as a restricted free agent for 800k when they have already budgeted for him to be paid a million for the next 8 years?

They will match 800k in a heartbeat and sit back and ask for 3 picks in the top 20 for a trade.
I was talking about Merrett

Reactions: 1 user

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
I think Merrett would be an out and out gun in our midfield. Remember he is carrying the Bummers midfield on his back like a camel.
He reminds me too much of Heppell and Shiel theta keep themselves busy doing nothing , neither ever impact a game that leaves you thinking sheesh ,,,it’s why Ess are crap , it’s no accident

momentai

Tiger Champion
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
At least one triple premiership player is likely to retire at the end of this season. A second and possibly a third multi may also finish up.

The club has kept tight. Players are well supported. Players have been loyal.
We have some excellent prospects coming through.
Last year Balta and Bolton moved to the first rank.
This year expect CD, Dow, Ralphsmith and Martyn to be given opportunities, and do well.
There is no area where we have a glaring deficiency.

Money should be spent on long term contracts for Balta/Bolton and 2 yr contracts for the rest.
Maybe we will trade out a few and then hit the draft.

Reactions: 4 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
He reminds me too much of Heppell and Shiel theta keep themselves busy doing nothing , neither ever impact a game that leaves you thinking sheesh ,,,it’s why Ess are crap , it’s no accident

I don't think he's anything like those. IMO Heppell is massively overrated. He';s been bog average for a few years now. Shiel they thought they were recruiting a gun but got him.

Merrett I see more in the mould of Cotch in 2015/16. Accumulates a lot due to stale and slow play style. Reckon he would excel massively in a quicker game plan (like ours). He's a good kick, tackles well and runs both ways. He's the prototype of a Richmond player and reckon he will excel much like Cotch did when better players were added around him.

Reactions: 3 users

dusty123456

Tiger Cub
Aug 12, 2020
Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I actually think Merret isnt that great. Way too outside for me and dare I say it, a bit soft. As someone mentioned he does what Cotchin used to cop slack for. He goes for those cheap possesions. I dont think of player of his style (Kelly included in this) is a need. And Dodoro would ask for 4 1st rounders...

I would much rather a Tarranto or Cerra type.

Reactions: 1 users

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
At least one triple premiership player is likely to retire at the end of this season. A second and possibly a third multi may also finish up.

The club has kept tight. Players are well supported. Players have been loyal.
We have some excellent prospects coming through.
Last year Balta and Bolton moved to the first rank.
This year expect CD, Dow, Ralphsmith and Martyn to be given opportunities, and do well.
There is no area where we have a glaring deficiency.

Money should be spent on long term contracts for Balta/Bolton and 2 yr contracts for the rest.
Maybe we will trade out a few and then hit the draft.
Agree with this. None of the players bar Bontempelli is worth paying marquee wages to and draft currency for IMO. Let’s not fall into the trap Hawthorn did by trying to keep the ship floating by paying too much for players like Mitchell and O’Meara.

We have good talent coming through, let’s keep developing them and only hit the buy button on opposition players where the price is right.

Reactions: 4 users

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
I think Vlaustin is a genuine risk to be lost to the cattery.... suits his lifestyle, Grigga is there and they will have some serious coin on the table for back end contracts with some marquee cats nearing the end.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I think Vlaustin is a genuine risk to be lost to the cattery.... suits his lifestyle, Grigga is there and they will have some serious coin on the table for back end contracts with some marquee cats nearing the end.
But they don't need Flossy, they already have Tom Stewart.

Born_a_Tiger78

Tiger Rookie
Jul 16, 2008
So out of McIntosh, Caddy, Graham, Short, Lynch, Bolton, Baker and Pickett, I can only see Caddy finishing up at the end of year. And I'm not even sure Caddy will be in the best available 22 come this year's Grand Final win.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
I considered they’d be interested however they wouldn’t have tpp space after squeezing Cameron onto the list. I couldn’t see Vlas being tempted to leave , he s capt material for mine

Reactions: 2 users