free kick differential | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

free kick differential

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Has anyone else noticed that we only received 15 frees against the Swans to their 25.

They got I think 5 goals from frees in front of goal.

The only other team to get less frees this weekend wee the lowly North Melb with 12.

So far all the other games were pretty even given a slight number for and against.

Around the 20 mark to each team. Highest was Carlton with 29, with Freo getting 19 anyway.

Is it that we are unruly in our tackling that we give away so many frees?

Worth noting we also gave away 2 50 metres which hurt us.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
We’ve consistently been in the bottom 2-3 for free kick differential every year since 2017. I doubt it’s some vast and insidious conspiracy and more likely a result of us playing on the edge like all good sides do. Frustrating as it is, it’s not affecting us in any meaningful way.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
We’ve consistently been in the bottom 2-3 for free kick differential every year since 2017. I doubt it’s some vast and insidious conspiracy and more likely a result of us playing on the edge like all good sides do. Frustrating as it is, it’s not affecting us in any meaningful way.
Yep. Saturday proved the frees we DON'T get.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Yep. Saturday proved the frees we DON'T get.
That is so right.

I remember seeing Cotchin having his head almost pulled off in the backline somewhere and no free, play on.

That is just one example. It is not so much the frees the others get but our lack thereof.

Razorgang2

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 15, 2014
That is so right.

I remember seeing Cotchin having his head almost pulled off in the backline somewhere and no free, play on.

That is just one example. It is not so much the frees the others get but our lack thereof.
Gotta be careful, we dont wanna ruffle TBR's feathers. :ban

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
It’s the jumper!

Across all sports, data shows that umpires favour bright jumpers over dark ones.

Feels like we get a better run when wearing the bright yellow away jumper.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I agree, it is the frees we don't get.

We have been very much on the receiving end of not getting free kicks for a number of years and I think it is bulls*** to say it is something to do with how we play, we just don't seem to do well on frees.

I have no explanation to be honest as I see the blatant throwing some teams get away with and various rules applied more harshly for some teams. GWS and Hawthorn also do badly from memory. For all the appeals for frees Geelong do they seem to end up pretty even on frees for and against.

I don't think it is bias, I just think it is gross incompetence.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Has anyone else noticed that we only received 15 frees against the Swans to their 25.

They got I think 5 goals from frees in front of goal.

The only other team to get less frees this weekend wee the lowly North Melb with 12.

So far all the other games were pretty even given a slight number for and against.

Around the 20 mark to each team. Highest was Carlton with 29, with Freo getting 19 anyway.

Is it that we are unruly in our tackling that we give away so many frees?

Worth noting we also gave away 2 50 metres which hurt us.
I did notice that but our free kick differential has been horrendous each week thus far which is no different to any other yr. The stupid thing is it was level at half time, we must have been too close at that point.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
The umpiring was appalling on saturday. would not have changed the result, but it added 3-4 goals to the final margin. there were 2 examples where i asolutely lost my sh!t. The Nankervis one. clear mark and 50m penalty that resulted in a swans goal. And Heeney. He was not looking at the ball, but held egg-smith instead. he then turned around and dropped the mark and somehow received the free kick (I assume for holding). completely sucked in the umpire.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
David King and Cornes have been going on all weekend about the soft free kicks given to the forwards this year.

FMD....they certainly 'aint being paid to our forwards that's for sure !! Its a different set of rules for Richmond week to week and has been for about 5 years now.

Reactions: 2 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
It's the big brother little brother effect. The dad will pull up the big brother if he's being a bit too rough with the little brother in a wrestle and let the little brother get away with more.