Friday night lights at the G , game day v the Saints | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Friday night lights at the G , game day v the Saints

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Well that was Sh!t wasn't it.

I'm probably most disappointed giving up that much body heat sitting in that cold watching that putrid effort.

I'll struggle to pick a top 5 from todays game. Grimes probably BOG, with Vlastuin and Broad but I'm struggling after that.

I'm sure some of the games before I moved to Australia were worse, but that was the worst skilled game I've ever seen us play. Anytime we moved forward and looked like we may throw a punch, we butchered the ball again and again and again. By foot - yes, by hand - yes again.

It wasn't even as if you can say the opposition were great, the Saints were ok, but they kept giving it back to our backline over and over too, we were just so poor we couldn't punish them at all.

I'm not sure we take much from that game. Whilst we have been average in some games, that game was an aberration. I'm expecting a reaction next week.

Defense will be interesting next week, probably no Balta or Broad. Balta probably replaced with Miller, I don't think we have anyone to replace broad. Maybe we try Chol down back as an intercept defender, he was awful in the ruck today, Ryder destroyed him.

Reactions: 2 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Geezuz our skill level is utterly deplorable again. We butcher it.
It has been for a long time really: very few sharp kicks in the team - Dusty and Bachar at times, JR/Short/Balta similar - but it doesn't matter any more ... because even if we get a shot at goal within range, no-one can kick straight any more. Just one converted set-shot - Sheds. And 2.10. When we don't get the close-range shots from chaos footy, we've got little left ... without Lynch.

We have become increasingly inaccurate for some time, this season. It's like there's a force-field activated in front of our big sticks at times.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Surely Aarts' time is up.
That one-on-one effort against Sinclair was just inept. Failed to even get on the other side of his opponent to block an easy exit. Even if he forced it oob by laying a tackle.
He's another handy VFL player I'm sorry to say because he tries, but just hasn't got any real weapons.

Reactions: 1 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Pickett time to think = sh!t disposal.
Yes, another who has genuine ability, is a fierce competitor, can run, mark and beautiful kicking technique. But, sorry, he just turns it over far too much with dumb kicks or HBs. Cannot understand what he is looking at often. That long kick from just past the near wing into the hot spot a typical example. One RFC forward surrounded by 4 defenders. What the hell!

Gives away a lot of frees with careless tackles too. Chooses poor options, failing to HB at the right time as he wants to take on the world. I love his courage and attack on the ball, but is it enough?

Reactions: 1 user

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Dimma said they’re suspecting it’s an ACL. Shocking news.
Yes. Horrible. My favorite player along with Dusty and Shai. But the thing that most upset me was, to go with all the inept, hopeless footy we played tonight, Noah actually created the likelihood of this injury because he could not pick up a contested ball with two ample opportunities so the Aints player was allowed the chance to get him. Had a heap of time and space really.

Could not understand how he has became so fumbly lately when he was so sure-handed last couple of seasons! Kept running under the ball all night and dropping marks when he got hands to them.

Reactions: 8 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
How do you achieve the no bucks protest?
Just pull back from the game and watch it on TV like thousands of others do. 45 years of going every week for four flags, I reckon I've broken about square. But this *smile* has sapped the passion from me. Wasn't looking forward to the game tonight and was asleep for the opening minutes.

If I could press a button and send AFL HQ to hell, they'd be taking turns sucking Satan's *smile* by now.

Worst part will be the media saying we weren't that good. Not sure I can listen to that.

Last edited:

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Not sure that would have made the difference in the end, but yeah if you’re going to take them you have to nail at least one of them.

I was more annoyed at Dusty not taking the set shot.
I have been fed up with Short doing this for a long time now. He has failed to kick a goal with one for about two years now just about, ever since that game against Colonwood years ago when he dobbed two from distance. He and everyone rates him as a great kick.
But as someone else posted last night - compare him with Rich. Chalk and cheese. Jayden bombs anywhere; watch from behind the defensive goals some time, frequently kicks to outnumbers - and if he cannot convert to goals, just stay on your opponent.

And I'm sick of the automatic, compulsive play-on from Dusty and others, without having any idea what's ahead of you. Other teams are not so dumb and predictable. Too many of our players have psyched themselves out of taking set-shots led by DM, followed by JR and Castagna. Now a mental weakness. JR's kicking tonight was *smile* all-round.

Reactions: 4 users

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
@LeeToRainesToRoach - can your stats bank say how many times a team has had more free kicks for than points for?

Is it a common occurrence? Doesn’t seem like it would be.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
@LeeToRainesToRoach - can your stats bank say how many times a team has had more free kicks for than points for?

Is it a common occurrence? Doesn’t seem like it would be.
Hahaha, that is one of the quirkiest questions ever.

Has happened surprisingly often since free kick stats were recorded in 1965 - 165 times, and 7 for Richmond. But this is only the fifth time since 2009

2020 R8 Freo 18F, 16P
2019 R21 N.M. 20F, 14P
2018 R4 Bris 26F, 17P
2016 R19 Rich 24F, 23P

Reactions: 3 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Not making excuses for this season so far , but gez we can't buy a trick with injuries and long term ones to killed us.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Woeful

Simply woeful.

As a few have commented, StKilda were ok, not even great by their standards, but, hey, they played well enough to beat our lot.

I am not actually convinced that we have a radically different game plan. I reckon we have a game plan where the players are being told to stop bombing it forward to a 1 on 3, this is an adjustment I support. Go sideways if there is no option forward. Do not kick to a massive outnumber in our forward line. But we are at our best when we force the ball forward with numbers. Well, there were numbers tonight, and they were all wearing StKilda jumpers. There is no point forcing the ball forward when the only players there are the opposition. There is simply no way to force the ball forward, to run and carry, when there is no support around you. We couldn't have played the chaos game tonight anyway, the chaos game relies on numbers at the contest and pressure - we had neither. So many times a RIchmond player would gain possession on half back or the wing and looked up the ground - no options - this is why they were kicking sideways. Forwards were not presenting, no-one was presenting; no player running past for the handball receive, no overlap running - woeful.

Connection into the forward line was non existent. FFS someone get them doing goal kicking practice every night for a few weeks. It isn't just that they miss too many, there is a clear lack of confidence in goal kicking. Why CJ didn't take that shot early in the first from 35m out on a slight angle is beyond me. You wouldn't see many key forwards give that off, they go back and take the set shot. Why are we so lacking in confidence on set shots? What is wrong? Look at the number of goals WCE kicked against us with set shots, set shots on goal are the very aim of good delivery into the forward line. Maybe part of the problem with our forward 50 entries is that we seem to want to avoid set shots for goal. There is a serious problem when you don't want to mark the ball 30m out and get to have a shot without opposition pressure.

I truly feel sorry for Samson, he had no chance. On debut you need the players around you to be playing with you, they weren't. No idea if he could have had a good debut because I think he was given no chance to play well as the whole team was so woeful.

So many players down. Cotch is looking past it. Bachar it is harder to tell, still has some good passages of play (not tonight) but not enough of them. Shedda a bit off but he will be back. Prestia really down tonight. Shai seemed more interested in getting in the highlights reel, he needs to be told to get back to the basics.

So fumbly and such a lack of skills. Some have said we chose the wrong side tonight, don't agree. Our talls weren't marking it, and our smalls weren't running. No idea how the tall/short combination we selected could work after tonight, because it simply wasn't tried. None of the players were doing well in their roles. We didn't lose this at selection, we lost it on the ground.

I don't think I have ever been to a flatter game of football in my life. Richmond seemed completely disinterested and very very flat. StKilda were marginally more interested which proved to be enough in the end.

The crowd was flat.

The number of people in attendance was pathetic, lower than the GWS game at Chernobyl. I have to say, it makes a mockery of Ticketek when I saw comments yesterday of people not being able to purchase 2 tickets to this game when the crowd limit was 25K and we didn't even get 15K. We have 103K members and this is the crowd. How many missed out because they thought tickets were all sold?

The AFL should be very worried about the crowd tonight, the game is not the spectacle it once was and tonight's crowd is evidence of that. They are killing the game.

Richmond, well, I reckon that's 2021 done. Will likely make the 8 but making up numbers now unless a lot changes. We are simply not playing anywhere near the level we can.

DS

Reactions: 7 users