From The Outer closes doors. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

From The Outer closes doors.

A

admin

I had an e-mail this morning telling me that FTO had shut up shop. Thought it was a joke, still can't help thinking that actually but I checked the site and there is a goodbye message.
http://www.fromtheouter.com/messageboard/

Much as I dislike all things Collingwood I think their site was great.

Not because of the content or layout so much, but mailnly because of the message board.

I've been told that people from the Collingwood club ranging from the captain, president and players contributed at times.
I can't verify that, I haven't looked at the site since it became compulsary to register just to read the posts, but if it's true I think that's great.

Sometimes I wish Richmond was more people friendly, I think it would make a big difference to membership if people felt like it was one big family. I think we could learn from Eddie in that regard. (Yuk, did I say that?)

Feel free to contribute to this site at any time RFC :)

mellowyellow

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
Not because of the content or layout so much, but mailnly because of the  message board.

I've been told that people from the Collingwood club ranging from the captain, president and players contributed at times.
I can't verify that, I haven't looked at the site since it became compulsary to register just to read the posts, but if it's true I think that's great.

Sometimes I wish Richmond was more people friendly, I think it would make a big difference to membership if people felt like it was one big family.  I think we could learn from Eddie in that regard. (Yuk, did I say that?)

Feel free to contribute to this site at any time RFC  :)

Is this a recent problem? Has the club given the admin's of this site a satifactory reason as to why they dont or won't allow players/staff etc to contribute in some way, or am i being niave?

Am i right to assume that they have been approached on this issue mt and rosy?

A

admin

Is this a recent problem? Has the club given the admin's of this site a satifactory reason as to why they dont or won't allow players/staff etc to contribute in some way, or am i being  niave?

Am i right to assume that they have been approached on this issue mt and rosy?

I e-mailed the club several times about this site mellow, and didn't get a reply for ages.  Not until I rang and told them it's not good enough not replying to messages.

I asked if I could pay to advertise in the Fighting Tiger and I asked about the possibility of player interviews etc.

The reply kinda said great site, well done pat on the back etc, but we can't help you or encourage sponsor support etc.  (I'm happy to forward the letter if you want to read it.)

I also contacted all of Richmonds sponsors asking if they'd be interested in a sponsorship banner on the site in return for a donation towards hosting costs.

Out of maybe 8-10 letters I sent I only got one reply.  That was from Nissan saying they have a policy of not taking on any more sponsorship.  I appreciate they replied even though they couldn't assist.

I know the club is well aware of our site.  

P.S. I just read my post again and I don't want people to think I am knocking the club. I understand their hands are tied and I appreciate their good wishes for the site.
I do critisise their slackness in replying to correspondence though, and I told them that again when I rang about something else today.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
Firstly let me say I am in akward situation here. So without going into specifics about the conversation....

I was talking to someone at the club yesterday and we got onto the subject of this site. I made the comment that this is great site and the people who have put it together have done a fantastic job and should be congratulated. In short the person told me that the club cannot assist with this site because of their contractual arrangement with the Telstra web-site.

A

admin

I have posted before about the club being hamstrung by their contract with the Telstra site.
To be honest this site doesn't really need assistance, though if it gets much bigger the sponsors could have come in handy, ha.
Collingwood have the Telstra site as well, but from what I've been told people from the club have posted on FTO.

PMac

This sure beats workin'
Dec 17, 2002
Sydney
Rosy, I cant comment WRT Collingwood and the FTO site however, another reason for a reluctance for the Club to be involved in a site such as this could be the lack of control the club has over moderation.

I remember the stink that was caused a few years ago about posts rubbishing players on sites run by the clubs and how the players association got all snarly over it.

It could be (and I'm just guessing) that the club doesnt want to be associated with a site that is often bagging the work of its employees. Frankly if my boss co-operated with a site that regularly said "PMac is an overrated hack and should be gone asap" I'd wonder about by relationship with him.

A

admin

It could be (and I'm just guessing) that the club doesnt want to be associated with a site that is often bagging the work of its employees.  

I hope I haven't given the wrong impression with this thread. I was just saying I think it's great if Eddie and co contribute to the message board, and that their Richmond counterparts are welcome to post here.

The letter from the club supports a message board for the fans. That wasn't an issue at all. The reply I got said

Again, I think what you have done is fantastic

I can understand them not wanting us to be able to have player questions or interviews, but it was worth asking imo.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
I thinks it's great to have a site such as this. We're just expressing opinions and occasionally just 'getting it off our chest'.

Being 'tied' to clubs and sponsors, etc. comes with a lot of responsibility to those bodies and perhaps can take away the openness of opinion that a site such as this allows (within reason of course).

While I understand the Club's point of view, I'd be disappointed in the time taken to reply to your correspondence Rosy.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Just like to add my support to rosy on this. The letters were clear and very politely written and I don't think it's too much to ask for at least a reply to come back whatever the response is.

PMac

This sure beats workin'
Dec 17, 2002
Sydney
Rosy,

No, you were perfectly clear. I understood (I think) that you were hoping simply for some RFC participation on the message board.

Personally I think that would be great too, however, as I said earlier, I suspect RFC people dont even want that (very minor) connection between the club and the views expressed by many of us after a season like last year.

A

admin

I suspect RFC people dont even want that (very minor) connection between the club and the views expressed by many of us after a season like last year.

I would have assumed that too PMac, but in defense of the club the letter I received was very much in favour of a forum such as this.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Maybe representatives of the club already read/post on this site..... and perhaps it is considered by the powers that be that players should not read the real peoples opinions as it may affect their confidence or whatever. Id like to think this wouldnt be the case after all they are just opinions.
But I strongly believe there is more than just an awareness of the site by people at the RFC. Id say its more than likely that its checked regularly by more than a handful of RFC reps(in any form, eg players,officials).
Anyway its not good re the tardy response of the club to your letter and the response of the sponsors is equally underwhelming. I thought thats why they sponsored in the first place to try and get Tiger fans to support them.Well done for sponsoring the Mighty Tigers but it doesnt end there!
Once again to Rosy and MT fantastic work you have done/do here and congratulations on the site! :)

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Surely the club is big enough and ugly enough to tolerate the views and rantings of a few members and supporters, however diggler-esque they might be. You never know, they might find some good ideas here ;D

Goodonya for trying Rosy.

A

admin

Gee such kind words. Thanks guys :)

Keep some of this praise for footy season please. Mighty tiges will get a swollen head and I'll be able to spot who he is at a game then, ha. :rollin

TigersGoddess

Sing it Loud
Dec 17, 2002
Punt Road Oval
But I strongly believe there is more than just an awareness of the site by people at the RFC. Id say its more than likely that its checked regularly by more than a handful of RFC reps(in any form, eg PLAYERS,officials).
HI DRAGGA!!!!  ;D ;) :-*

Seriously it doesn't matter if we don't get players or anyone directly involved with the club, I think we're a pretty fantastic bunch with or without them.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Remember it's all of us together that make the site what it is, not just rosy and I :).

Keep some of this praise for footy season please.  Mighty tiges will get a swollen head and I'll be able to spot who he is at a game then, ha. :rollin

;D

Nah you won't need me to have a swollen head to spot me at the footy, rosy. I'll be the one singing out when there's a throw-in on the southern stand wing - "rosy wants you bad, Duncan" :rollin.