Frustrating Frawley | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Frustrating Frawley

Hungry

Bring back the Tiger mongrel
Mar 18, 2003
I can understand the frustration with our coach by all posters: I for one have supported him most of the way, but it's paper thin now.

The reason?

He constantly says one thing and does another. Very frustrating. For a guy who prides himself on honesty, it's hard keeping up with his double-speak.

Some examples:

"Richmond demand excellence" - looks hollow when you recruit King, Sziller, Houlihan, Vardy, Nicholls, Fleming, Hudson, Pettifer, who each have glaring problems and are mediocre at best.

"We want to play with flair" - yes, he's said this and then the Tiges have played the ugliest, low-scoring slog of all time.

"We'll play Richo in the midfield" - said this before 2002 season. Waited until 2003 had already failed before doing it.

"Unveil McGrath round 1" - we wait until an insignificant match against Bulldogs to see Marty.

"We'll have to play somewhere near our best footy to win" - means a flogging coming up. Everytime. A signal for the Tiges to play sh!te.

"Something's got to give, and it won't be me" - fair enough, but why are King etc. etc. still on the bloody list?

"Un-Richmondlike" - well that's just plain embarrassing.

Some other niggles:

Skill level still ordinary.

Every media appearance is a cringe-fest. And it's getting worse. More excuses, more tolerance of mediocrity.

Long strings of losses: I think we had 8 in a row in 2000, then 9 in a row last year and 8 in a row this year. That's a major worry that hasn't been analysed in the media.

Sorry about the long post. Just had to get it out there!

My personal fave was

"it just means we are not far away but we still have a long way to go,"

Far away from what ? long way to go where ? the mind boggles, incidently he was referring to the freo loss and that sounds like a statement from a 1st year coach near seasons end.

Well said Hungry.

I agree that the media haven't scrutinised our long string of losses as much as they should have but I suppose the Richmond in-fighting backstabbing story gets old after 20 years.

In 2000 we lost 6 of our last 8 and copped some major thumpings among those losses too.

In 2001 we only lost 3 from round 7 - 9. Fortunately we played winless Freo in round 10 that year.

In 2002 we lost 9 straight from round 9 - 17.

In 2003 8 straight losses from 9 - 16.

In summary, when it goes bad during a season under Spud it goes really bad.

FoX said:
My personal fave was

"it just means we are not far away but we still have a long way to go,"

Far away from what ? long way to go where ? the mind boggles, incidently he was referring to the freo loss and that sounds like a statement from a 1st year coach near seasons end.
Same guy that said
" "Our wet weather form has been sensational, but we cannot worry about that, the big fella upstairs will take care of that"
Just like our season.........

Yep, I always cringe when I hear Frawley.........

I always get the feeling from him that his heart, is & always will be, with the Saints. Let's see if he reveals a bit more this week at Burkey's farewell....

Same guy that said
" "Our wet weather form has been sensational, but we cannot worry about that, the big fella upstairs will take care of that"
Just like our season.........

LOL bazza so this poor season has been the droughts fault ;). GJ spud ure a real winner!