Further recollections from Roar34 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Further recollections from Roar34

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Roar has been kind enough to send an article for us all to read. It's on the main page in the Latest news and Articles section.

Thanks Roar, really interesting and greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks for sharing that Roar34. You're lucky to have such memories to look back on. It is really interesting to read a first hand recollection of Jack Dyer.
Not too sure about the 23 year theory though, lol. Maybe it didn't factor in the coaching influence.
All most of us here have to hang our hats on is the 95 final against Essendon. Wonder if we'll still be living on that glory in another 20 years time?

Roar34 said:
What photo MT

The one with Jack looking at the gorillas before the Fitzroy 1947 semi-final. There's a tiny chance I might be able to find it if I know what newspaper it was published in?

Roar34 thank you for a fascinating insight into an era that seems so far away to many of us. It reminded me of how much Sir Donald Bradman meant in helping create a seperate identity from England. So often it seems that it is our sporting heroes who lift our spirits and give us hope.

The name Jack Dyer will be remembered in the way we remember Bradman, Lindrum, Opperman, Fraser and all the other sporting greats who've helped define who we are and formed the identity of this great country.

Sorry MT, I had just posted my new profile pic so I thought that was what you were referring to. Am I to understand that you might have access to old newspaper files...hmmm?
Oh, how I wish I had my original scrapbook still. As we squeezed into the final four, we would have been 4th. I'm trying to recall if the two top teams played the 1st semi and the two lower teams played the following week, or t'other way around. It would have been one of the week days before the Richmond-Fitzroy semi, sorry, that was prob known as the Fitzroy-Richmond semi, but that's being pedantic. I emailed to Rosy that the pics I have of the 1st 5 Richmond flags, the Tiges are wearing white shorts, and I think they did in the 1967 GF too...is that a record?
Sorry I can't help you with a closer date than the week of the R v F semi in 1947, and I'd be inclined to think that it would be the Sun newspaper.
To RFC: that's a good point about our sporting heroes in fields other than footy. I was talking footy because of this column, but you make a very good point. When I first took an interest in cricket [of course, I was going to play for Oz, wasn't I], there was still a lot of angst around about Larwood & Jardine and this was years later. I remember hearing some elderly [read mature] people talking about the terrible things that happened during WW2 and one said, "Well, of course, if he [Hitler] had played cricket when he was young, the war would never have happened, would it?"

Roar34 - Recently I was in England and was lucky enough to find a complete set of 1934 Players Cigarette Cards at a market. Picked 'em up for $40.00 bucks - what a steal. Bradman, Ponsford, O'Reilly, Larwood, Jardine etc etc are all featured. If Hitler has played cricket with Jardine the war could have been a lot worse.

Thanks for posting those memories Roar34. You are blessed to have been able to watch Jack play.

It's a tragedy that technology didn't alow there to be film archives of Jack in his playing days.

Your memory by the way is very good. Jack Dyer kicked 9 against Essendon in the Preliminary Final in 1944. I have to refer to book rather than memory though.

Dear Frick, thanks for the confirmation, I found it myself today on another site. What book are you talking about, I badly need some facts & figures.
I got onto a crowd today called Sorenson Technology who offer a program that's supposed to have all the facts and figures from Round #1 of 1897 or whatever. Price $49.95 (50% discount)

The book is simply titled "Grand Finals - Victorian Australian Rules Greatest Moments"

It cost me $2.95 back in 1978, when i was about 8 years old.

It devotes about 3 pages to each season, plus scores, best players, goal kickers and teams for GF day. The fact on Jack's 9 goals came in the write up of that season.

He dominates the book in the years of his playing days.

I remember an article from about the late 1960's that talked about Jack Dyer - to this point i haven't been able to locate it. It mentions him as beyond question the best footballer to have played. Points out that because of his size, speed, toughness and football brain he's likely the only player that would undoubtably make it in modern football.

It went on to point out that he came 5th in the brownlow in his second year after going down with a knee after only 7 games.

Once the umpires started hating him, he didn't poll too well anymore. However during the war when the brownlow was suspended for 3 years, the then VFL awarded a best player award which was won by Dyer 2 of those 3 years!

Makes you wonder how many Brownlows he could have won if the umpires weren't doing the voting!