Future Round 1 Pick 2021 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Future Round 1 Pick 2021

deedee

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 12, 2011
I'm not as negative as some, and actually think we are well placed to rebuild on the run.

The below is our Best 22 and I have colour coded them. Red are players that will be gone within 3 years (Edwards is the only one that may remain longer than 3 years), orange gone within 5 years and green are long term players.

View attachment 12011

We need to know if CCJ can play as he can help to replace Jack and provide that structure. We can probably recruit a stopper in place of Astbury if Miller doesn't come off via FA (they don't need to be worldbeaters, just athletic), but the area that we have the biggest issue for me is midfield. We'd be left with Bolton (great) and Graham (good) but lack midfield depth. We need to know if Ross, RCD or Dow can be in that rotation, but even so lets say we get 1 of them as a long term player, its something that could be corrected in 1 draft, then draft some more talls whilst we can too.

We need to get those 4 players in particular (CCJ, RCD, Dow and Ross) into the team this year to at least see what they can do, and if an opportunity presents itself, Miller also.
No way will Nank's body hold up for more than 5 years the way he plays and the way we use him.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I just look at it with Balta and potentially CCJ, could set up at least part of the spine for the next 10 years. A lot to like about CCJ, just need to see if it translates across to the AFL. I'm not sure our defensive setup is right at the moment, using Balta as a stopper on the best forward is where I think we should be using Astbury and trying to get Balta 1st line of offence out of the back line.

Takes longer to build your spine, and mids can generally turn it around quite quick, particularly if we can find a way to add a top 10 talent. Saints pick also looking like it will be a nice one (ie. top 25). 1 great draft could turn our midfield depth very quickly. 1 or even 2 out of Ross, Dow and RCD and then 1st 3 picks being mids (or if we can get into the top 10 even better)
Only a small sample size, but I thought Biggie showed some promise down back in one of of the scratch matches. Would be good if he could develop into a key defender, I think he is a better prospect than Miller.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Players like Fisher McAsey might also be available., Maybe our Saints pick and some steak knives (not sure what) might get it done. Out of contract will mean they don't get top value. Would shore up the other key defensive back, then take mids with our 2 1sts and hopefully some of the boys currently on our list come off.

I forgot Martyn in that group that need to get more games through the mid this year also.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Only a small sample size, but I thought Biggie showed some promise down back in one of of the scratch matches. Would be good if he could develop into a key defender, I think he is a better prospect than Miller.
Biggie would be a (pardon the pun) big bonus for us. If we could turn him into an Allir type then he could be our long term successor for Vlastuin / Grimes.