Game Day AFLW Round 5 - Richmond v Geelong: somewhere beyond civilisation as we know it | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day AFLW Round 5 - Richmond v Geelong: somewhere beyond civilisation as we know it

Timmy99

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 7, 2006
Canberra
Not too many, if any comments in this thread about being unwatchable, no better than under 12s etc, etc....

Nice to see.
Agreed. You know what though. Plenty of nufty snipers out there ready and waiting to bag out the men’s team as well as soon as they get on a losing streak.

Sir

Tiger Superstar
Apr 23, 2004
Not too many, if any comments in this thread about being unwatchable, no better than under 12s etc, etc....

Nice to see.
Really???

Firstly - most people will refrain from saying anything for fear of being vilified (hounded!!). Ironically bullied!

I watched it today (not live) and is anyone seriously going to suggest this is anything but FAKE news? (I have so many SMS otherwise)

Yes we won - and it creates about the same level of excitement as when my girls win an U14 netball game.

You talk about skills? really!?!?!????? (the missed shots are such a hilarious indictment!)

TBH an U16 school boys team (from VIC) would towel them up - why do we pretend otherwise???

I get it - its good for marketing and it keeps soccer off the back pages - but lets not pretend anything else.

It's JUNK!

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
No vilification here, everyone is entitled to their opinion, even when it is wrong.

A quick check of the RFC facebook shows about 25k views of the singing of the song and just over 2000 likes and love reactions. Add in twitter and instagram and whatever else they use an your girls under 14 team must have quite a following to produce that.

As for missed shots on goal, I'm not sure how closely you watch the men but if that's the measure then their skills are pretty woeful as well. I saw Zac Butters miss from the goal square today and I've seen plenty of other sitters missed, every game, every week and every year. I sat and watched a bloke kick 0.5 in a grand final not long ago.

As for the old 'insert age here boys team' would beat them argument, well that's just illogical nonsense. Without stating the obvious, men and women are not the same. Most 16 year old boys who are in elite football programs are stronger and faster than most women, so naturally they would probably win. Just like I could get 10 AFL players together and with 2 months training we would win the gold medal in netball at the Commonwealth games, Cathy Freeman wouldn't have won gold in Sydney if she was racing the boys junior 400m national champion, and not many women tennis or golf pros would beat quality teenage boys either.

It's not a like for like comparison. The real question should be how would the under 16 school girls team go and they would lose, the same way the boys would to the elite men.

For what it's worth my advice would be to stop thinking womens football needs to measure up to men and enjoy it for what it is.

Agree TBR and I've been getting more into it now that Richmond were in it. I think there is a sexist view that we have to compare the men to the women, and we do forget that a lot of the ladies that are playing now, are only just getting into elite environments and the quality will continue to improve. I'd say the skills in say 5 years of the AFLW will be starkly different to now.

Personally I think the AFL completely screwed up the rollout of the womens footy and this is key because at some point it needs to generate more money. As you say 25k views of the song, plenty of likes and this is for a team that has won 1 out of 10 games in their history.

The AFL's viewpoint was to give licences to smaller teams 1st as they "needed to attract more members", however I'd love to see the stats. I would hazard a guess that most AFLW members are already AFL members and therefore they haven't attracted many more, just attracted them to a different variant of the game. Hence wouldn't it have been better to provide the larger teams with a licence 1st, build the membership and funding up and then look to fund the smaller sides. The business model they had was flawed and why I think they've rushed through the number of expansion teams. A strong Richmond womens team would have done wonders for generating interest and I suspect you will see that as we grow the skills of our team and continue to improve.

I would hazard a guess that in 5 years we will have more AFLW members than some teams have AFL members.

Reactions: 1 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Our girls, at most, have played 11 games of top level football.

We don't judge the boys until they've played 50 odd.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I suspect men's footy would have looked pretty crap back in 1863 (4 years after the game was invented), 1881 (4 years after the VFA was formed) and 1901 (4 years after the VFL was formed.

The women's game is improving out of sight. Yes, off a low base, but that base was reliant on a bunch of women who were stopped from playing footy for key late teenage years, and many came from other sports.

It is getting a lot better and as those who played footy through their growing up years come through it will improve again.

Then, we will start to see a women's version of high level football. It won't be the same as the men's because women will play the game differently, but in a few years I think we will see a very high level game with some variation on the men's game.

It will remain an exciting fast paced game which is what Australian Rules is, but it will just be a bit different.

DS

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Haven't watched any of the women's games. Occasionally see a minute or two of games when I'm having a channel surf, just not interested.
Having said that, I'm sure all involved would have been ecstatic over the women getting their break through win this week, and deserving of all congratulations.
It's not that long ago when Dimma was coaching a mob that was worse than Fitzroy n couldn't win a game to save themselves. Must be a massive sense of relief and achievement at any sporting level when that first win comes along to break a long string of losses.

Reactions: 1 user

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Congrats to the girls, they have looked likely for a couple of weeks so this was coming.

Good to see that Geelong are still the Washington Generals, even in the women’s league. Does this mean a Premiership now?

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Haven't watched any of the women's games. Occasionally see a minute or two of games when I'm having a channel surf, just not interested.
Having said that, I'm sure all involved would have been ecstatic over the women getting their break through win this week, and deserving of all congratulations.
It's not that long ago when Dimma was coaching a mob that was worse than Fitzroy n couldn't win a game to save themselves. Must be a massive sense of relief and achievement at any sporting level when that first win comes along to break a long string of losses.

Mate, I used to be the same.

But for whatever reason this year they have got me hooked. They are very entertaining to watch and doing the club proud.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Mate, I used to be the same.

But for whatever reason this year they have got me hooked. They are very entertaining to watch and doing the club proud.
I’m the same. The product as a whole has taken it up a notch. It’s a bit like the WBBL. That took a few years to really hit some heights. Now I find it more entertaining than the BL. Certainly less contrived.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
The skill level overall is not going to improve until the 5/6 year olds girls come through en masse and get the same elite training the boys get.

TASSIETIGER2

Tiger Cub
Mar 29, 2011
Hobart
A win is a win if you're a true tiger, It was a fantastic Breakthru win from a really improving side. Go Tigers!

Reactions: 4 users