Game Day - Innaugural game vs Carlton Rnd 1 2020 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Innaugural game vs Carlton Rnd 1 2020

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
We’re willing enough. Need to work on teamwork and getting the handball off quicker.

Was like watching a game played in very muddy conditions. Might watch Richmond again but giving the neutral games a miss.

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Carlton are a pretty good team, grand finalists last year, well drilled. Good players on all lines, and much cleaner with ball.

Hopefully that clears out the cobwebs and we'll be better for the run next week

Reactions: 1 user

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
Was like watching Richmond under Wallace. Some good efforts but a long way off Carlton. Hunter will need to work out a better structure. Some of the women had a real crack, some looked out of place.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Unfortunately couldn't watch the game tonight but will have a squiz at some stage over the weekend. Bad loss but gotta start somewhere though I guess.
If there was any quarter to watch which would be best?

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Unfortunately couldn't watch the game tonight but will have a squiz at some stage over the weekend. Bad loss but gotta start somewhere though I guess.
We kicked both our goals in the last quarter tooheys

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
If anyone needed evidence that Razor can pick a free against us that plainly isn't there it was when he pinged one of our women for "holding the man".

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Razor wasnt the bad umpire tonight.
It was the other clown.
He was letting them hit us in the head, but as soon as we touched them he was plucking them.

Our skill level was abysmal
Sheehan's daughter was in charge of putting the side together.
She has totally flk it up.
Most cant kick
Most cant handball.
Most are too slow.

Not a very good showing tonight

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I was there, in the AFLW Foundation members area. Funny going to Princes Park, last time I was there was for Michael Long's Long Walk, maybe 2003. Before that it would be about 1980.

Disappointing start but they will be much better for the run and I think a fair number of the players will now know the level of AFLW. We played a practice match the other weekend but it was against another of the expansion clubs, should have played a practice match against an established club.

Carlton were clearly a class above us. Their positioning was so much better, we would kick it out of the backline and Carlton players were raffling it between them. They killed us in the air and our players need to learn how to compete and spoil because the Carlton players were just plucking it out of the air. They were much better when the ball went to ground too. They backed each other up so much better, if there was a marking contest there were always more Carlton players in support if no mark was taken, they always had an option when challenged, we hardly ever did. Their ruck dominated too.

One thing I noticed, and it was hard to miss, was some of the ball movement by Carlton, it was really good. Great to see some of that in the AFLW, starting to see better skills on show and good for the game.

Only upside for us is we won the last quarter.

Our AFLW team will improve. The experience of playing last year's runners up has shown where the standard is and there will be a lot of video of passages of play which will give our lot many things to work on.

We play Gold Coast next week, another expansion club, so let's see if they can improve a lot against a less polished and experienced opposition.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

Tigermad2005

Tiger Legend
Aug 18, 2004
Ballarat
Disappointing start but they will be much better for the run and I think a fair number of the players will now know the level of AFLW. We played a practice match the other weekend but it was against another of the expansion clubs, should have played a practice match against an established club.
We did.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Took us to the last to find our feet and play some decent football. Carlton had the game win by then, though, so they may have eased up.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Checked out the game & watched as much as I could. I lost interest pretty quickly as I have when I've watched women's footy previously.

I don't doubt the efforts of the girls & think it's great there's an AFLW competition for girls to aspire towards but in terms of entertainment as it stand it's just not for me. Waay too many basic skill errors & so scrappy to watch.

It will get better in time but I don't think I'll ever really embrace the comp.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Reckon the best players stand out even more in the women's comp than the men's. But even they tend to look a little awkward, as though they're new to the sport. For want of a better description, the athleticism lacks grace. Perhaps to do with the comparative lack of strength.

I'll confess to yelling at the TV early when umpiring decisions went against us.

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
Reckon the best players stand out even more in the women's comp than the men's. But even they tend to look a little awkward, as though they're new to the sport. For want of a better description, the athleticism lacks grace. Perhaps to do with the comparative lack of strength.

I'll confess to yelling at the TV early when umpiring decisions went against us.
Must have lost your voice. Umpiring was abysmal.

Omarkum

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 19, 2003
Checked out the game & watched as much as I could. I lost interest pretty quickly as I have when I've watched women's footy previously.

I don't doubt the efforts of the girls & think it's great there's an AFLW competition for girls to aspire towards but in terms of entertainment as it stand it's just not for me. Waay too many basic skill errors & so scrappy to watch.

It will get better in time but I don't think I'll ever really embrace the comp.
I loved watching it. I loved the intensity of the team for the most part and I think we have some very good players. Conti is a female version of Prestia..Wakefield was fantastic , so was Monaghan...Chuot did well , she just has to learn to take those Marks. Sabrina Frederic is not the "Superstar" they keep calling her..should be dominating in the air but rarely does. All up a very pleasant and pleasing experience. I am sorry you struggle to find any joy Tigers.

Reactions: 4 users