GAME DAY !!!! Premiers v Pensioners | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

GAME DAY !!!! Premiers v Pensioners

acatman1

Tiger Superstar
Sep 18, 2016
AFL has the worst commentary in all sports. They really should have a look at the set up in the EPL.
Why do we have this belief that ex players make good commentators?

Hudson, Mcavaney, the late Grybas all the best in the business and didn’t kick a ball in anger.
Yup, was not a huge fan of Bruce, BUT the bloke did his research, Hudson ok too.

I always found commetti intelligent , but more importantly the infliction of his voice aided the play, without the need to scream and make awful calls on what MIGHT happen. Grybas i agree was very good too. Ohhhh and how bad is Dwayne "work of art" shahke and bake" Russell

Reactions: 1 user

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Yup, was not a huge fan of Bruce, BUT the bloke did his research, Hudson ok too.

I always found commetti intelligent , but more importantly the infliction of his voice aided the play, without the need to scream and make awful calls on what MIGHT happen. Grybas i agree was very good too. Ohhhh and how bad is Dwayne "work of art" shahke and bake" Russell
How can anyone forget about Russell! Just call the game and leave the theatrics to others.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
She's great. Her insight at Q time about what the Cats needed to do was absolutely on the money. Good footy brain & very refreshing among the blokes.
Not to rain on the party but she repeatedly said that Dahlhaus was bumped by Vlastuin when it was Graham.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
First, on the Cats, they kicked many of their goals from lead up passes. It was doing my head in seeing cats players marking easy hit up passes then putting it straight through the big sticks. Rohan, Cameron, Hawkins, Esava were all marking the ball out in front.

Then look at our forward line, just bombing with no thought process and hoping that lynch or jack would take a big mark, well they didn't and it just then gets rebounded out of our D50, which the cats kicked 8 goals from D50 that's unheard of, their ave is 3 per game.
All makes sense given our midfield woes - so undermanned there now we can't put pressure on the oppo mids so they were running it out and passing with no pressure.

No defence can cope with this but we also dropped our intercept marks leading to goals.

On our forwards and ball-movement, we don't seem to have the same forward presentation options as an alternative to Jack/Tom so it gets bombed. The only small forward who lead and marked was Aarts. Cantstandya woeful last few weeks. But also the mids are scrambling the ball in instead of our old way of running it in with waves of mids supporting the movement.

Tough times at the moment.

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Quit the experiment with Pickett in the ruck we got CCJ sitting there in good form and tall timber is having a big factor in 2021.I don't see why we can't play the same system as Nank and Soldo played.

Reactions: 1 users

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
What I find interesting about some comments here (premiers v pensioners thread) is that the team has suddenly become too old Martin30,Edwards 32,............................?

Geelong(pensioners) have an older side don't they?

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
AFL has the worst commentary in all sports. They really should have a look at the set up in the EPL.
Why do we have this belief that ex players make good commentators?

Hudson, Mcavaney, the late Grybas all the best in the business and didn’t kick a ball in anger.
Yep. Granland too.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
All makes sense given our midfield woes - so undermanned there now we can't put pressure on the oppo mids so they were running it out and passing with no pressure.

No defence can cope with this but we also dropped our intercept marks leading to goals.

On our forwards and ball-movement, we don't seem to have the same forward presentation options as an alternative to Jack/Tom so it gets bombed. The only small forward who lead and marked was Aarts. Cantstandya woeful last few weeks. But also the mids are scrambling the ball in instead of our old way of running it in with waves of mids supporting the movement.

Tough times at the moment.

It is a combination of factors, but I don't get why our forwards, including Jack and Tom, are not presenting and leading. It makes no sense to hang around with a couple of opposition players, it makes far more sense to try and get some separation. Run around more, move their defenders apart by having some separation, run a couple of defenders toward the boundary and have a smaller player lead. All sorts of things they could be doing better than what is currently happening.

Delivery from the centre is also very pressured but it would still help of there was less congestion in our forward line. Other teams seem to be able to get more space, but the best team for the last 2 years can't find more space?

DS

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
What I find interesting about some comments here (premiers v pensioners thread) is that the team has suddenly become too old Martin30,Edwards 32,............................?

Geelong(pensioners) have an older side don't they?
Teams age at different rates. Collingwood is comparable to us and has gone off a cliff. Brisbane went off a cliff after 2004 at a similar stage. St.Kilda were a lot younger when they became irrelevant for the past decade. Hawthorn were older in 2015. North was the oldest ever when they went over the cliff from 9-0 in 2016.

We're pushing the envelope and there are no guarantees at that extremity.

Certainly Brisbane became less consistent towards the end of their era but could still muster big efforts when it counted. That's where I see us at present, except that the club is better prepared to cushion the fall after this year. We've got one last shot, maybe, before a refurb/regroup.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users