Game Day Richmond v Adelaide | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day Richmond v Adelaide

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I love the mark, it was a stunner.

But if Jack is playing a higher role he should know - or be told - not to run back into the big forward lanes.

My bet is he was both lauded and quietly chastised for the decision.

What if Chol got injured? He looked to have the mark covered anyway.
There is zero chance that Jack was chastised for taking that mark.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Yeh, Dimma was full of praise for Jack. Doubt he was having a go at him behind closed doors. The ball was in his vicinity and he went for it.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Yep. Imagine how good Chol could be come if he had that killer desire to win the ball. Can't teach it unfortunately, you either have it or you don't.

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Well that was an interesting game now that I have seen a replay.

It seemed to be played on the basis of finding space rather than controlling territory. You could see a lot more chipping and often passes were short. I think the skill levels looked better from Richmond, less handballs to team mates' feet although less pressure when you are playing Adelaide than one of the better teams.

The forward line looked more open and far less static. Was good to see a lot more movement and leading by forwards, good delivery certainly helps too. Makes you wonder just how restricted Lynch has been, good idea to have his knee sorted now because Lynch has looked less effective.

The umpiring was interesting. I thought Walker was a bit stiff to be done for HTB early in the first quarter, but they paid a very similar one against McIntosh literally a minute or two later. They seemed a bit less strict on it later in the game although Prestia copped one which was a bit 50/50 later in the game - less inconsistency. I saw one incident where a Richmond player pushed an Adelaide player just as or maybe a little after the Adelaide player kicked the ball, a free was paid. Now, you see this every game, players grabbing and pushing players all the time - if they pay this consistently the game will open up. I also noticed Baker at one point about to tackle an Adelaide player and hold off as the Adelaide player didn't have possession, was still trying to gather the ball. An instruction maybe? If they decide to enforce holding the man and pushing more I reckon it will improve the game. Will be interesting to see how all of this goes.

Caddy surprised me. He is slow but if he can use his ability to read the game to compensate he has a chance to play seniors. He did seem to pop up in the right places and that worked.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012

Nup, anyone who has played football knows how annoying it is. Let’s assume he missed the mark. Nine out of ten attempts and he would have. Most other players zero chance.

We’d all be talking about Chol being spoiled and a closer finish.

Can’t have it both ways. If Riewoldt was the one on the straight lead he would’ve ripped Cholly a new one.

I remember Pickett’s great grab in the VFL, CJ went off at him and had half a case.

But a great grab regardless. I’m glad he took it and didn’t injure himself or Mabs.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Yeh, Dimma was full of praise for Jack. Doubt he was having a go at him behind closed doors. The ball was in his vicinity and he went for it.

Reverse the roles and Cholly gets a quiet word.

But I agree that acts of bravery that seal games are royal flushes that beat everything.

Reactions: 3 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Imagine that. Chol was watching the ball.
So you were unhappy with the game he played? The two goal contribution? How he really impacted in the ruck after Nank was struggling, creating clearances for the team that helped turn the tide.? His pressure and some strong tackles?
(not that Nank doesn't do these things, just that trying to do it all on his own all season without a proper 2nd ruck, was asking for trouble which turned up with the minor - luckily - injury this game).

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Reverse the roles and we'd all be praising Chol for being involved, committed and putting his body on the line which, let's face it, hasn't been one if his strengths in the past.

Reactions: 2 users

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Nup, anyone who has played football knows how annoying it is. Let’s assume he missed the mark. Nine out of ten attempts and he would have. Most other players zero chance.

Can’t have it both ways. If Riewoldt was the one on the straight lead he would’ve ripped Cholly a new one.

I remember Pickett’s great grab in the VFL, CJ went off at him and had half a case.

But a great grab regardless. I’m glad he took it and didn’t injure himself or Mabs.

Yup, Cholly looked to be in the box seat, even as Jack grabbed it Mabs was right there. But then he drops more than he should. Even flubbed a few in this game, where I thought he showed a commitment to the contest I've not seen from him. Has the tools does Chol, best effort I've seen from him in the ruck, didn't shirk the contest. Interesting times. But sometimes a leader has to take charge and Jack committed and delivered. Can't ask more than that.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Reiwoldt didn't even look at the pack forming as he ran back so unless he used mental telepathy he would have had no idea Chol was in the box seat.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Reiwoldt didn't even look at the pack forming as he ran back so unless he used mental telepathy he would have had no idea Chol was in the box seat.
Jokingly cousin Nick said Jack had a couple of looks, thus making Nick's mark the better one.

Now it will always be a fact Jack looked at the pack a couple of times, whether he did or didn't.

But you know, if he did see that pack forming and still ran straight into it with eyes on the ball only, that's probably gutsier than not knowing what's in front of you.

Reactions: 3 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Jokingly cousin Nick said Jack had a couple of looks, thus making Nick's mark the better one.

Now it will always be a fact Jack looked at the pack a couple of times, whether he did or didn't.

But you know, if he did see that pack forming and still ran straight into it with eyes on the ball only, that's probably gutsier than not knowing what's in front of you.

True. Either way he had no idea that Chol would be on top of the pack at the same time or that Chol might have taken the mark.

Anyway, great mark by Jack.

Reactions: 1 user

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
I don't know if people are actually watching Oleg or just looking at his stats.
I was never really motivated to seek out GCS games but have bothered to watch a bit more 2020/21 just to check out if they can beat our rivals and how Oleg and BEllis are going; mostly just out of curiosity for ex-Tigers. Both going much the same really: Brando collects a heap of mostly uncontested marks/possies as their running machine linkman, and Oleg runs hard out of the backline. He contests quite well too and in the air as I pointed out in '20.

You led me to have a look at his stats; fairly decent although mixed bag - not elite in anything; below av in sheer no. of disposals (18.6) but above av. in marks, tackles, contested 1 v 1s, i50s, metres gained, GB gets, spoils, GAs. Good overall in a team that gets belted from time to time.

Nothing outstanding but quite honest, I reckon we'd take that for a Bachar replacement perhaps, with further upside in a better team/defence etc.

But a tough one for the club I know. Much depends on how long Bach can go on, and if the likes of Hugo can step up - he's not that great in 1 v 1s with strong forwards just yet from what I've seen, although good running and kicking player.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
So you were unhappy with the game he played? The two goal contribution? How he really impacted in the ruck after Nank was struggling, creating clearances for the team that helped turn the tide.? His pressure and some strong tackles?
(not that Nank doesn't do these things, just that trying to do it all on his own all season without a proper 2nd ruck, was asking for trouble which turned up with the minor - luckily - injury this game).
Turned out to be prescient; posted before I found out Nank's injury was not lucky after all. Now out for at least a month probably. I was among several posters here concerned that our over-use by relying on one proper ruck was putting him at undue risk. Like previous seasons showed.

Looks like Cholly and CCJ just became much more important. Hope Draper isn't back for the Bummers this game.

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011

That would be like George having a go at Dusty when he kicked his fourth from the boundary line in the GF.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
That would be like George having a go at Dusty when he kicked his fourth from the boundary line in the GF.

Yeah. And Chol wasn't on a straight lead, he came from behind the pack and rose to the top - which was awesome, but anyone who has played footy knows that once the pack forms it's every man for himself.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
For anyone interested, centre attendance stats for this round. Interestingly:

- Caddy was on wing the whole game (I suspect he will remain there against Essendon)
- Dusty & Bolton clearly sharing mid/forward role
- Every kickout after a point was kicked very short. 1st quarter failed (no doubt contributing to high score by Adelaide), 2nd quarter on was quite successful getting it over the half way line

Ruck ResultRuckMidMidMidWingWingKickoutsTypeResult
Q1
HONanksCotchPrestiaDustyCaddyKmacShortShortx
OPCholCotchPrestiaDustyCaddyKmacShortShortx
OPCholCotchPrestiaBoltonCaddyCastagnaShortShortx
OPNanksCotchDustyRCDCastagnaKmac
HACCJCotchPrestiaRCDCaddyKmac
HONanksCotchPrestiaRCDCaddyKmac
HANanksCotchPrestiaDustyCaddyKmac
OPNanksCotchPrestiaBakerCaddyKmac
OPNanksBoltonPrestiaRCDCaddyKmac
-NanksDustyPrestiaRCDCaddyKmac
Q2
HOCholCotchDustyRCDCaddyKmacVlastuinShort+
-CholCotchDustyRCDCaddyKmacVlastuinShort+
HANanksCotchPrestiaRCDCaddyKmacVlastuinShort+
OPNanksBoltonPrestiaRCDCaddyKmacBroadShort+
HACCJCotchPrestiaRCDCaddyRalphsmith
OPNanksCotchPrestiaDustyCaddyRalphsmith
Q3
HONanksCotchPrestiaBoltonCaddyKmacShortShort+
HANanksCotchDustyBoltonCaddyKmacHouliShort+
HONanksCotchPrestiaBoltonCaddyKmac
HACholBoltonPrestiaRCDCaddyKmac
HOCholDustyPrestiaRCDCaddyRalphsmith
OPCholDustyPrestiaRCDCaddyRalphsmith
OPNanksCotchPrestiaBoltonRalphsmithKmac
HACholCotchDustyRCDCaddyKmac
Q4
HONanksDustyPrestiaBoltonCaddyKmacVlastuinShort+
-NanksDustyPrestiaBoltonCaddyKmacVlastuinShort+
OPNanksDustyPrestiaBoltonRalphsmithKmac
OPCholCotchBoltonRCDCaddyRalphsmith
HONanksCotchPrestiaBoltonCaddyKmac
-NanksCotchPrestiaBoltonCaddyKmac
RuckNanks 21, Chol 8, CCJ 2
MidfieldPrestia 26, Cotch 23, Dusty 17, RCD 15, Bolton 13, Baker 1
WingCaddy 29, Kmac 26, Ralphsmith 7, Castagna 2
KickoutsVlastuin 5, Short 4, Houli 1, Broad 1

Reactions: 5 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
The kick ins are interesting. Many clubs have the player kicking in run from the square and bomb long. Seems we don't like that.