Game Day - Richmond vs Brisbane - QF 2020 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Richmond vs Brisbane - QF 2020

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Not one Tiger worthy of a vote out of 30 votes in a 15 point loss.

Its a very good sign.

Reiterates that they had a heap of good players, we had none,

And could have pinched it.

If we can barge our way into a gf, against the most likely opponent,

I would be outrageously confident

Reactions: 1 user

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
We're not necessarily arguing opposite positions here.

With Lynch out we were really looking for a COVID normal style of game, not our ideal, but enough to get us by.

For me that COVID normal will have been based around accepting Andrews was going to be a very good player but to try and minimise his influence by restricting MOPs and forcing him to spoil.

Chol's job will have been to try and engage him as much as possible to prevent MOPs and get us forward stoppage by making him bring the ball to ground or to the boundary.

So I think every time he punched the ball away we would have considered it a win. We wouldn't with Lynch but in COVID normal it was ok. My verdict of Chol being ok, is based around Andrew's playing a very good game but not taking huge MOP numbers. I think we would have considered that break even before the game and I suspect Hardwick only gave him 2 votes because of it.

I'd be interested to hear the coaches analysis but my take is we executed our COVID normal ok to the point where the ball was brought to ground but we failed to back it up by winning the forward 50 contested ball at the subsequent contests and stoppages.

Could Hardwick be part of the AFL/Umpires/Media Richmond hate club?
COVID Normal?
Is that you Dan Andrews?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Not one Tiger worthy of a vote out of 30 votes in a 15 point loss.
It’s probably fair enough in this instance. Can’t think of any Richmond players that played better than those Brisbane players. Dusty was great in first half but virtually unsighted after half time.

That said we had few good players and lost by 15 points. Huge upside if we can get some blokes to pull their fingers out.

tiger76

Tiger Superstar
Mar 26, 2014
I know that sometimes sides can appear as if they aren’t giving 100% due to opposition pressure and tactics preventing them from playing the way they would like; and I’m unsure if that was the case on Friday night or not, however to my eyes there appeared to be a marked drop off with 5 minutes to go in the 2bd qtr, after which the Tiges weren’t the same.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
yep, we played crap and still got close. That's a cause for optimism, but the coaches got this right.

tigerhalsey

RICHOOOO What A Mark!!
Jul 28, 2007
Melbourne
Hmmmm tin foil hat, maybe they wanted to lose. Not playing lynch and getting a run into meatballs, the players have said they dont like sitting around waiting.

Its all part of the larger plan, beat the Saints who beat us earlier in the year, revenge game, beat port at home who we lost to earlier in the year getting more revenge, then beating the pies in the gf to get revenge for 2018 prelim, or beat the lions at home in the gf getting revenge for the QF (Cats will get knocked out in straight sets, so we can watch salty get upset).

Theme of the rest of the games, revenge. Crazy cat out dimma

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I know that sometimes sides can appear as if they aren’t giving 100% due to opposition pressure and tactics preventing them from playing the way they would like; and I’m unsure if that was the case on Friday night or not, however to my eyes there appeared to be a marked drop off with 5 minutes to go in the 2bd qtr, after which the Tiges weren’t the same.

Yes. I commented about 10 mins into 2nd q,

This is all on our terms, we will win.

Then is wasnt and we didnt.

Lions went geelong style early and i was dreaming of another prelim, then they went richmond style?

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Coaches votes

BRISBANE v RICHMOND

10 Daniel Rich (BL)
6 Charlie Cameron (BL)
6 Harris Andrews (BL)
6 Hugh McCluggage (BL)
2 Jarryd Lyons (BL)
Didn't expect Dimma to give any of his players a vote

but there's no way Dimma doesn't give an oppo player a vote in a 15 point win.

Reactions: 2 users

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Short was on Cameron for that one. Grimes was on the bench. For his other goal where raynor gave him the assist, grimes actually left him to provide a spoil but didn't kill the contest and cameron got free.

I'm always in awe of people who see the game this way. I get lost in the hustle and bustle and can't see the way individual players end up where they are. But then I never played the game so that might have an impact.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Grimes was off the ground in the last 6 minutes of the 2nd qtr.
Nakas handball that went nowhere, Cameron Goal.
Nakas loses a tap out to Martin, Cameron swoops, cotchin is sleeping..Goal
Then the 50 metre penalty thanks to mr Pickett. The same pickett that cost us 2 goals because he can't kick.

angle ankle

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 6, 2020
There's an enormous amount of complete garbage being written in this thread I'm afraid, and this is a snapshot of some of it.

Firstly, the scoreboard didn't flatter us by any definition. Lost by 15 points and gave away two goals by acting like dickheads.

We also went at 29% forward efficiency. As a comparison, the day we played Sydney we went at 30%. The last time we played Brisbane we had 5 less inside 50s and scored 82 points, at 48% efficiency. Brisbane's figures were essentially the same when you balance the goal kicking accuracy.

As for the guys you allege were a mistake playing, let's have a look at that. There is no comparison to 2018 because taking players in with injury/health concerns is completely different to playing healthy players who haven't had the game time.

Then the specifc, Astbury was more than serviceable neutralising contests, Prestia was clearly in our best few players. If you think he was a liability I'm suggesting you watch the game again. Especially when you suggest Nankervis should have gone forward to help Riewoldt but it seemed to me he spent plenty of time forward and was hardly on the bench. Nankervis did what he does every week, busted his arse against the odds and Houli and Edwards were a bit down but hardly awful.

And out of the guys you have named who would you have played instead? Broad for Astbury is hardly like for like, Garthwaite? Do you think Ross would have had the 20 touches Prestia got and been in our best? And who the hell plays instead of Nankervis? Eggmolesse-Smith for Houli? Higgins for Edwards? I can't see how anyone would suggest any of those moves makes us a better side.

As for Chol, he is copping a hiding but I wonder how many people have considered the role he was asked to play? I'll wager plenty that the coaches asked him to concentrate on negating Andrew's ability to intercept mark and to even contests and I thought he did ok at. There was a moment in the second quarter when he was one on one and could have led but you can see him wanting to stay with Andrews as well and do his job, so he gets stuck in nowhere.
There was another moment in the last quarter where he was beaten and you could see he was emotional. It was a shame he didn't clunk the early mark and kick a goal to give him a boost, he's a young bloke finding his way on the best defender in the competition. He certainly showed a heck of a lot more heart and go than lots of the so-called supporters laying the boots into him.

.'complete garbage snapshot'
.quite an aggressive post for a moderator.
.apologies ...fairly new here & had no idea u were never to be challenged or directly quoted.
.in future i'll just give opinion without ur reference, like a number have since the game, re the dangers of playing underdone players in a final.

.'guys u alledge were a mistake playing'
.did u even read my post ?
.u claim i wanted none of houli, edwards, nankervis, asto & prestia playing
.if u had bothered to digest properly instead of blatantly misrepresenting me, I was pointing out the dangers of the cumulative effect of playing all at once ...to suggest otherwise is miscomprehension at best....more likely plainly fraudulent in a cherry picking beat-up for ur self serving, virtue-signalling rant.
.my obvious concern was the selection in a final of both asto & presti, coming off serious injuries with one match game time preparation between them...in addition to edwards, nankervis & houli's also less than ideal games in the legs.
.ur dismissive contempt for the concept, speaks volumes for me...as does ur justification - "because its completely different to playing injured players"
.did it not occur to u after losing soldo & ccj, it would be odd for me calling for nanks head? or silk edwards' as well?
.not content with ur humiliation agenda, u ponder my replacements...humiliating them in the process.

.I have a very complex theory relating to our 4 year dominance..
.for many years we gave little regard to leg speed in selection & recruiting, then overnight we did a 360 & binge recruited pace.
.advantage us for 3 years while others scampered to copy our stockpile, but couldn't overnight.
.our stars (lots of) flourished in the confidence of ultimate speed & endurance backup of team mates...regardless of height deficiency.

.my fear is the others have nearly caught up & we no longer appreciate what got us here.
.our late season form especially the cats & eagles demolitions, was particularly exciting for the unheard of attacking quarter-back like defence of balta, grimes, baker, markov & short...macca & shai were appreciated again...all looking good

.the soldo lynch disaster response in part was to scrap markov...why compound a problem by adding to it?
.to me he was the final piece of the jigsaw...electrifying speed from half back mirroring the george effect at half forward
.he has to be worthy of the 22 with his versatility...stick him on the oppos quickest fwd butler...who then can't run organiser grimes out of the back line like cameron did.
.half back, wing relief, even forward pocket, he would be a welcome asset alongside a slowing jack...presenting & retention is the forward bible...weve still got the quickest...one more year or two.

'scoreboard flattery definition'
.ur mind numbing matter of fact forward efficiency stats relating to a day we played sydney equalised by the goal kicking accuracy & 5 less inside 50s last time we played brisbane..blah blah blah ....just made me dumber for having read it...i thought it was a fagan presser...all i know is the faster we go the more we win.
.like any rabid supporter & without ur condascending prompting, i have watched the game again.
.sorry ..definite scoreboard flattery.

.from the 17 minute mark of the second quarter to the 8 minute mark of the last quarter, lions out scored us 5.6(1 rshd) to 1.4(2 rshd)
.in my opinion, dusty & the teams finals energy carried us the first quarter & half but then intensity dropped...as the reality of our lack of usual leg speed dominance, increasingly loose opponents & a malfunctioning tall forward setup set in.
.watching it live felt inevitable to me...i was virtually resigned toit at 3/4.
.our record height disadvantage (normal) was only ever going to be overcome with a genuine pace & sustained run advantage
.we simply didnt have it.

.presti did in fact get a few more handballs than I appreciated & there is no doubting his creative hands, but his limited tank, acceleration & fitness saw him overun on occasions with not much input in the last .... his inability to kick with real quality or assurance will only improve....others saw it very differently...obviously better for the run tho & will play...apologies for the liability call but i didnt have him in my best.

.asto is my worry ...in overhead contests now, he does a lot of pushing & blocking, a negative role at ground level, leaving him susceptible to stepladder pack marking, his dinky short passes more prevalent...im not certain he has total confidence in his knee yet
.his return has coincided with noahs opponent seemingly taking him away from the contest...not happy with that.
.ur disapproval at the possible broad replacement not being a like for like to me is a plus...he's a lot faster, more aggressive in the air, knows the role & confidently fit...most importantly he offers a real 2nd ruck alternative...i dont care if hes gold coast bound...play him.
.I realise asto is a deserved revered figure here but his return has stifled much of our natural attack & run from the back.

.nankervis.. fwd to help riewoldt....I must have observational/memory difficulties (probly both)...I only recall nank blocking for jack late in the last who marked & goaled...91% game time I guess he must have played there more ifu say so...also a fan of his work ethic but his constant physical bashing is already taking a toll...mistakes @ ground level creeping in

.chol selection...i've been one of his staunchest supporters up until his selection last week in a final, which like many i thought was too big a risk...presently his body contact work is not what's required for a fwd pkt role, his best moments were when on the ball...also seems to have lost any sticky fingers he once had...keeper for mine...a summer on his weaknesses.

.my changes for friday v saints

--lynch for chol
-markov for aarts...essential speed, height & versatility...operation butler?
-broad for astbury...heresy but increased run, aerial pressure & second ruck option

.a lot of people screaming for caddy return...was a terrific player for us a while back...do they not see his level of pace & associated pressure now..his lack of leap?.some even suggesting 2nd ruck...hes 6'1.
.u seem to have chosen me as a vessel for defending the honour of players not once slandered by myself...
.i actually detest that myself...anyone playing the game at this level has my full admiration & respect...i do tho reserve the right to justify my selection opinions in a civilized manner ...its a forum isnt it?
. hope u dont mind me returning serve....u deserved it.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Who was the HF on Rich, allowing him to land 10 coaches votes.

In the 2019 Q final, i watched Rioli get humiated by Rich in the first quarter. He responded,

But someone didnt respond on friday.

Alarm bells screamed in my head when Rich kicked the opener. Someone was being very very unaccountable and theres a decent chance that someone kicked *smile* all goals as well

While on inadequacy,

I know 1:1 defensive work isnt Shortys strength, but letting Charlie Cameron waltz through at that fwd stoppage and kick a goal was woefully inadequate.

Surely playing to your strength doesnt mean trying to gain 60m, while your opponent does as he pleases at a stoppage near goal?

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Who was the HF on Rich, allowing him to land 10 coaches votes.

In the 2019 Q final, i watched Rioli get humiated by Rich in the first quarter. He responded,

But someone didnt respond on friday.

Alarm bells screamed in my head when Rich kicked the opener. Someone was being very very unaccountable and theres a decent chance that someone kicked *smile* all goals as well

While on inadequacy,

I know 1:1 defensive work isnt Shortys strength, but letting Charlie Cameron waltz through at that fwd stoppage and kick a goal was woefully inadequate.

Surely playing to your strength doesnt mean trying to gain 60m, while your opponent does as he pleases at a stoppage near goal?

From what I could tell it was Lambert. Has had a shocking season amd deserves to be dropped.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
From what I could tell it was Lambert. Has had a shocking season amd deserves to be dropped.
Someone was asleep & accountable there.
You don’t leave a player rich Rich alone within kicking distance.
Asleep.
Wasn’t a great start and in a close game which finals can be it just smacked .......
Was Pretty angry after that.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
While on inadequacy,

Short was blocked, if we are going to blame someone, prob Cotch. His man blocked Short, but he let Cameron go straight past him.

Cameron's 3rd goal, Grimes made the decision to go to the contest but didnt impact. Result Cameron in the clear and goal.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I think the comes from employing zones, especially at the start, where no one really has RIch as there opponent. I would put that down to a collective failure of defence, rather than trying to pin it on 1 player.

Reactions: 2 users