Game Day - Round 21 versus Carlton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Round 21 versus Carlton

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Bit of a strange game. We absolutely dominated the first half but once again our dominance was not truly reflected on the scoreboard. A 5 goal half time margin should have been at least 8. That said it was very wet and there is no doubt that had some impact on the margin.

The second half was just average. Carlton ramped up the pressure and they are greatly improved team. But we didn't help our cause by overusing the ball in the wet conditions. We turned it over more than usual and gave Carlton more opportunities than we would have liked. The conditions were difficult but we usually handle them better than we did in the 2nd half.

But a 5 goal win in those conditions, against reasonable opposition, when you don't play near your best is a fair result. I think we've got plenty left in us and so does Dimma. We'll find out against the Eagles this week; I think we'll be primed for this one.

Reactions: 2 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Wow - cud not watch the game but reading on here i wud think we only won by a point or two and all players had crap games. Hell we eat our own far too often. How many wins in a row now and still not happy.....
I don't get that impression.

Reactions: 1 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Bit of a strange game. We absolutely dominated the first half but once again our dominance was not truly reflected on the scoreboard. A 5 goal half time margin should have been at least 8. That said it was very wet and there is no doubt that had some impact on the margin.

The second half was just average. Carlton ramped up the pressure and they are greatly improved team. But we didn't help our cause by overusing the ball in the wet conditions. We turned it over more than usual and gave Carlton more opportunities than we would have liked. The conditions were difficult but we usually handle them better than we did in the 2nd half.

But a 5 goal win in those conditions, against reasonable opposition, when you don't play near your best is a fair result. I think we've got plenty left in us and so does Dimma. We'll find out against the Eagles this week; I think we'll be primed for this one.
We dominate when it's wet but struggle a bit when the rain stops. Bit concerning

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
one thing i observed yesterday was that Carlton played a man behind the contest in a bit of a Sokkah-style sweeper role to counter our knocking forward and handball forward. and they had some success with it.

Reactions: 1 user

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Thought Lynch and Jack were poor and beaten by jones and wetering

silvertiger

Tiger Rookie
Aug 28, 2014
Agreed, and this was clear from watching on TV, too. As soon as the ball hits the deck, he plays as a mid and can put some weight and force into his tackles.

Both he and Nank are good below the knees, and that's gold.

It's clear that Chol is working hard to implement what's being drummed into him during the week – staying in the contest, second and third efforts, get to the next contest.

Let me put it this way, he can do things in the wet Paddy Guinane could only dream of.
Agree with this. I really noticed his 6 tackles. Put some venom in them.Give him another another week.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

It was because they were holding them at EVERY opportunity. There was one instance where the ball went over Jones and Jacks heads, Jack tries to run onto it, Jones pulls him back by the shirt then grabs him over the shoulder to pull him back more, Jack trips over, Jones gets the ball and clears it (this was on the Great Southern Stand wing). Umpires with their blindfolds on "I see nothing".

Just one instance but numerous throughout the game.

Very hard for them to get involved enough when they have defenders hanging off of them like that all game, when will the AFL will realise that a free kick or 2 and they will stop. Weitering eased off a bit (Lynch for 4 frees), Jack got none so Jones kept doing it over and over and never a whistle.

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
I thought they were scragged and held quite illegally... but well done to blues backs for getting away with it. They were well under lynches skin and in his head

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Despite the relatively close scoreline it was a comfortable win.
In terms of the blues improvement, their 1st goal was from a horrid kick in from Vlastuin. They scored 2 from 50mt penalties, another from a terrible free against Astbury, a snap from the boundary to Murphy, and 1 contested mark to McGovern. Not 1 of their goals was from good play, or good ball movement. The only thing stopping it being a thrashing was some poor kicking from us.

Reactions: 5 users

rensman

interpreter to the stars...
May 6, 2004
North Eastern Victoria
Despite the relatively close scoreline it was a comfortable win.
In terms of the blues improvement, their 1st goal was from a horrid kick in from Vlastuin. They scored 2 from 50mt penalties, another from a terrible free against Astbury, a snap from the boundary to Murphy, and 1 contested mark to McGovern. Not 1 of their goals was from good play, or good ball movement. The only thing stopping it being a thrashing was some poor kicking from us.
Great post. Adds good perspective to the win. Outstanding team and individual defence all day

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
Was good to have Nank back in the team. Thought he moved pretty well & will be better for the run.

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
Very hard for them to get involved enough when they have defenders hanging off of them like that all game, when will the AFL will realise that a free kick or 2 and they will stop. Weitering eased off a bit (Lynch for 4 frees), Jack got none so Jones kept doing it over and over and never a whistle.

Did we get any more than a couple of clean entries either? Carlton had our number at the stoppages and contested situations. Applied pressure well against us I thought.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
4 of Carlton's top 5 ball winners, all with 29 disposals or more had no better than 58% disposal efficiency:

- Cripps 54%, Curnow 53%, Simpson 48%, Murphy 58%.

Best 3 Tiges with 25 disposals or more were

- Prestia 63%, Edwards 74%, Lambert 80%

Even Ross 62% Bolton 64% Graham 73% were better. Quite simply we played the pressure game to perfection which causes rushed disposals. That can only happen if all players are in on the mantra so as a whole we played to our game plan to perfection and if we do that we are always very hard to beat no matter who we play. So yes whilst guys like Stack, Rioli, Chol and even Reiwoltd had quieter games, they did very well from a pressure act point of view and I am sure that's how the MC are judging the performance. Not every player has to be amassing disposals and hitting every target or kicking goals. We're humming at the moment. Dusty and Cotchin back. Bring on the Eagles.

Edit: Everyone seems to be talking about Carlton's bright future but their team was older than ours and 3 of their top 5 disposal winners are over 32 years of age and one other is 29yo and their 3 current rucks are 30,30 and 28.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Did we get any more than a couple of clean entries either? Carlton had our number at the stoppages and contested situations. Applied pressure well against us I thought.

We had more clearances 42 to 40. Carlton had more contested possesions - but we are 2nd last in contested possessions compared to opposition, it's not our game style (interestingly Eagles are 4th last). We had 59 inside 50s to 43. Clearly we were a far more efficient team with the ball.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Coaches votes:
9 Dion Prestia (RICH)
8 Jack Graham (RICH)
6 Shane Edwards (RICH)
4 Nick Vlastuin (RICH)
3 Liam Jones (CARL)

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
4 of Carlton's top 5 ball winners, all with 29 disposals or more had no better than 58% disposal efficiency:

- Cripps 54%, Curnow 53%, Simpson 48%, Murphy 58%.

Best 3 Tiges with 25 disposals or more were

- Prestia 63%, Edwards 74%, Lambert 80%

Even Ross 62% Bolton 64% Graham 73% were better. Quite simply we played the pressure game to perfection which causes rushed disposals. That can only happen if all players are in on the mantra so as a whole we played to our game plan to perfection and if we do that we are always very hard to beat no matter who we play. So yes whilst guys like Stack, Rioli, Chol and even Reiwoltd had quieter games, they did very well from a pressure act point of view and I am sure that's how the MC are judging the performance. Not every player has to be amassing disposals and hitting every target or kicking goals. We're humming at the moment. Dusty and Cotchin back. Bring on the Eagles.

Edit: Everyone seems to be talking about Carlton's bright future but their team was older than ours and 3 of their top 5 disposal winners are over 32 years of age and one other is 29yo and their 3 current rucks are 30,30 and 28.
Really good point. .... half the problem with all them stats and the......
A: wankers who put em together and
B: wankers who believe em, is......
Some of the so called experts look straight at the biggest number and go..... BOG.
Does my head in when you see the voting by journos who reckon they have a clue!

(Please note I'm not calling us experts on PRE wankers...... only the ones I've ignored :cool:)

Reactions: 1 user