Game Day - Round 5 - GWS v Richmond | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Round 5 - GWS v Richmond

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Richmond’s Round 5 team:

B:
28. Gabrielle Seymour, 34. Akec Makur Chuot
HB: 15. Rebecca Miller, 20. Holly Whitford, 2. Phoebe Monahan
C: 9. Hannah Burchell, 4. Monique Conti, 19. Kate Dempsey
HF: 14. Sabrina Frederick, 12. Laura Bailey, 6. Christina Bernardi
F: 16. Laura McClelland, 24. Tayla Stahl
Foll: 11. Alice Edmonds, 1. Sophie Molan, 43. Grace Campbell
I/C: 18. Sarah Sansonetti, 17. Ella Wood, 10. Kodi Jacques, 7. Lauren Tesoriero, 5. Maddy Brancatisano
Emg: 13. Alana Woodward, 22. Nekaela Butler

In: Kate Dempsey, Lauren Tesoriero, Tayla Stahl
Out: Alana Woodward (omitted), Katie Brennan (concussion), Courtney Wakefield (concussion)

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
Wakefield is a massive loss. Has been the most consistent forward.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Conti is a class above.

Had to laugh at the netball pass the resulted in the free and goal against us. Not sure why we can't do it when the Cats can.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I get we're not that good and that GWS are playing better.

But 10 minutes into the second quarter and frees are 10-0, I don't need to specify the teams do I?

DS

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
I get we're not that good and that GWS are playing better.

But 10 minutes into the second quarter and frees are 10-0, I don't need to specify the teams do I?

DS
Yeah, Monaghan pinged for OOB last touch, or incorrect disposal, then 2 minutes later at the other end, a throw in where the GWS player did the same thing.

Conti well and truly a class above, Monaghan hard as nails, Grimes like, the rest are pretty pedestrian. Really miss Wakefield & Brennan to a lesser extent.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Scrounging around hurriedly to find this game on TV and just found out Foxtel has a FoxW channel for women's sports! Ch 507.

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
Was a poor effort. A lot of of learning to be done by the players and coaches before we will chalk up the first win.
Conti elite. If we didn’t have her this team would be smashed and spend the whole game rather than most of it chasing the opposition. Monahan, Jacques are good. Bernardi, Stahl also good but find themselves where the pill ain’t a lot of the time. Campbell good but raw and disappears - not sure if that is because of rotations or coaching. Frederick can mark and kick well but is too one dimensional and slow and the opposition exploit it. Would be a great full forward if we could get the pill within 30 metres of goal and she was plonked there. I expect we will win just one game this season if everything goes our way. We just don’t have the cattle. Definitely need Wakefield and Brennan as both of them can play at the level required to win. Not much joy in watching the team at the moment But hoping for improvement before the season finishes.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yeah, some improvements but they really looked too slow today. Hard to see where a win will come from in such a short season.

DS

Tails

Still Chasing Dreams
Mar 10, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Coach has to take a lot of the blame, has had a long time to bed in a game style and brand but has failed to do any of that. GWS are an ordinary team and we should be able to beat them but didnt by a wide margin. Hunter looks very much to me like Keeping & Siekman and both of them were duds.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Tom Hunter was awarded VFLW coach of the year last year. I think it's too early to call for his head.,
Time for a chill pill imo.

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
They have not recruited well - too tall, too slow, and inexperienced.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
They recruited a few big names, which was good for getting momentum and support for the club's Women's AFL team. But the next tier are still learning how to play football at this level. I get the impression a fair number of them come from other sports and Australian Rules is quite a different game, they don't look like they are getting to the correct place on the ground to be effective and we look like we have less players on the ground: outnumbered at contests all the time.

They will learn but Women's AFL has developed enough to make it hard to be competitive as an expansion club.

We have a long way to go, I don't think you can blame the coach, I'm sure there is a lot of video being shown to the women to explain what they should be doing, but getting it done on the ground in the heat of a game is a different matter. I watch the games and often look around wondering where our players are. Wasn't is an old Dyerism when he would describe a player as always being where the ball isn't? We need to teach the players how to set up and get to the contest and that takes time.

I am somewhat disappointed at how we are going, had hopes that we could be better than this, but it is proving a big step up and remember we only just made the VFL Finals in the Women's and lost our final.

Time for patience, I'm sure the club is looking at ways to bridge the gap to the competitive teams.

DS