GAME DAY SEMI THREAD - Tiger vs Saints | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

GAME DAY SEMI THREAD - Tiger vs Saints

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Let's not forget our midfield is totally different and ruck to past game we played Port we we're undermanned and now winning centre clearances to.Totally different team in the guts to people may be surprised.

Reactions: 1 user

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
I must be the only one thinking we have timed our run pretty well, especially with what it was looking like a month ago.

Games into our injured and missing players, Nank, Shedda, Dion, Bashar, Astbury, (all of which were fair to good last night).

Beat Geelong ,West Coast in lead up to finals, were quite dominant in the Brisbane qualifyer at stages but it got away from us through some uncharacteristic brain fades, (can't win them all).

Beat Brisbane by 41 points in August and then lost to Port by 21 pts after 4 day break, interstate travel without our full complement.

Playing the best team all year next week with all the advantages so will be tough.

Anyhow my glass is 3/4 full not half empty.
Have to agree we're not at our best yesterday so room for improvement , but reset and on to next game still positive tho.In saying that I thought Cats at times had there moments in the game against Port wouldn't say it was a stand out performance by them exposed there backline.Cats went in with Stanley how did the ruck battle go ?.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I'm not happy with our form in the 2 finals this year, we're not humming along like 2017 & 2019.
Didn't play well enough to win a PF, but we haven't played the PF yet. We were sharp early when we had to be, and it was really a typical Richmond win in holding the opposition at arm's length for the rest of the night. Also managed two flurries of quick goals which hasn't happened often this year.

Speaking objectively I'd pick Port to win next week on form, but the hope is that the recent returnees will be better again for the run and that we can continue building up to our best over the next fortnight.

With Westhoff and Sutcliffe not getting a game, Port have two players who've experienced what it takes to win a PF - Boak and Lycett.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Disgraceful commentators failed to recognise Chimp's record breaking captaincy games played. Pretty sure nothing was said about Dimma's games coached record at the club as well
Are you sure there was nothing in the pre-game which started about 7pm but on CH.73. Then they switch to main channel 70 at 7.30. Easy to miss; I couldn't catch it all myself either.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Of course there's nothing in it from a force or danger point of view and I agree it's not a reportable offence and that a bad look for the game is nonsense.

But it is off the scale on the stupid thing to do chart. And more importantly it's a my frustration is more important than the team act.

As I've said before, my concern with Lynch's behaviour is his standing in the game. If he hadn't done that we'd be talking about one of the great finals games, how he smashed packs and obliterated that poor joker in a huge tackle. It's fine to say he doesn't care what people think but in time I think it will matter to him and I'd rather see him remembered as a great player than a guy who had a habit of taking weak little cheap shots when his opponents were lying on the ground.

Tend to agree with that and also probably one of the reasons why other clubs fans seem to think we are the AFL's pets. The media gets them all het up due to something that was just plain stupid but nothing in it from an MRO perspective (similar to the Hurley incident) that gets people all wound up thinking they should be suspended and then when they aren't the belief is all about Richmond being the AFL's pets. Tom needs to stop putting himself in those positions.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Had a stupid glance of social media earlier, geez some of the vitriol of how we are the umpires pets etc. Largely around that "goal" that wasn't given.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if the AFL wants an ARC system that stands upto scrutiny they simply must follow what other sports have done and INVEST IN THE TECHNOLOGY required to make it worthwhile.

I tended to think it was probably a goal BUT the evidence given from the camera angles was not conclusive (whatever some of the commentators said). When the key piece of vision shows the ball as a big yellow blur, you cannot be 100% that the camera images are not showing you a light trick etc.

The AFL can get around this by investing in better cameras, but they rely on the TV footage, which whilst good for what the TV companies want, is not in a high enough definition to do what the AFL want with the ARC, this is an attempt at a review system by shelling out next to no money. Its a complete cop out and as I said last week, if the AFL don't want to invest the money just scrap the ARC altogether and go back to umpires call.

Reactions: 3 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Nankervis, astounding game Sir, knew you'd come good tonight, can't believe his name hasn't been mentioned much throughout this thread ? Second only in importance tonight to Titch, my word he is class, even in those terribly slippery conditions and Bolton, BIG goals at important times of the game make all the difference.

Wasn't pretty, but we stay alive and move on, Port don't scare me anymore than anyone else left, we still ooze class when at our best and don't for a second think the other clubs wish they were playing ANYONE but the Tiges, bring on next week.
Good comment; Nank was terrific although gets tougher next week with PA having two genuine ~202cm rucks. Would really rather leave Astbury back to play on Dixon, freeing Balta up to play mobile relief ruck and 3rd tall forward, and further stretch their short defence.

Re your 2nd pgh, people need to remember that St. Kilda clobbered Poort in their H & A game in Adelaide.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Absolutely no chance he gets suspended for that even with the beat up. Not even fine worthy.
There is no beat up. Everyone I’ve heard has said not enough force. Reticular activating system in overdrive.

Reactions: 1 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Had a stupid glance of social media earlier, geez some of the vitriol of how we are the umpires pets etc. Largely around that "goal" that wasn't given.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if the AFL wants an ARC system that stands upto scrutiny they simply must follow what other sports have done and INVEST IN THE TECHNOLOGY required to make it worthwhile.

I tended to think it was probably a goal BUT the evidence given from the camera angles was not conclusive (whatever some of the commentators said). When the key piece of vision shows the ball as a big yellow blur, you cannot be 100% that the camera images are not showing you a light trick etc.

The AFL can get around this by investing in better cameras, but they rely on the TV footage, which whilst good for what the TV companies want, is not in a high enough definition to do what the AFL want with the ARC, this is an attempt at a review system by shelling out next to no money. Its a complete cop out and as I said last week, if the AFL don't want to invest the money just scrap the ARC altogether and go back to umpires call.
I don’t think the ball 100% crossed the line. Didn’t get mentioned but surely arc should review that too.

but yes technology is *smile*. Doesn’t seem high def and slow motion

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
Last night's game reminds me a bit of the 2018 win over the Hawks. We beat a lesser opponent quite easily, but nothing much to get excited about. I know our best is good enough to beat Port, but last night didn't really do anything to alleviate my gut feeling that we are not at our best right now.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Last night's game reminds me a bit of the 2018 win over the Hawks. We beat a lesser opponent quite easily, but nothing much to get excited about. I know our best is good enough to beat Port, but last night didn't really do anything to alleviate my gut feeling that we are not at our best right now.
Agree with this. Our best is the best; no question. If we play at or near our best we will beat Port anywhere. I’m just not sure we’re at that level this year.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Agree with this. Our best is the best; no question. If we play at or near our best we will beat Port anywhere. I’m just not sure we’re at that level this year.
It’s eerily similar feel to that 2018 where we beat the Hawks who had their chances with poor kicking for goal but MAYBE over confidence crept in??
We did cop some injuries which carried into the PF.
We did have SOME unwell players.
BUT the Pies were too good for us and the American played one out of the box...

Our best will challenge PA.
We are say 3 goals behind ( with their support , home ground & dimensions of their ground ).

Do the players have the belief & hunger & the mentality to take it up to PA as this will be one hell of a PF.

Have to start well. Obvious I know.

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
The Mongrel Punt have posted an excellent analysis of last nights game.

I would suggest that their article is of much greater quality than others that have been released about the game - I recommend checking it out.

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Are you sure there was nothing in the pre-game which started about 7pm but on CH.73. Then they switch to main channel 70 at 7.30. Easy to miss; I couldn't catch it all myself either.
Don't recall anything pre game not that i was paying a huge attention to it at the time

Feb 25, 2007
Some are comparing this year to 2018 but I must say I don't personally see it. In 2018 the cracks were there but hidden against games we perhaps should've lost, bombers, cats, and dogs last round. We limped into finals. I thought 2018 our pressure dropped off from what we saw in 2017.

2019 we came strong with players coming back and winning like 12 on the trot to win the flag. Pressure good too which we didn't see so much from in 2018.
2020 same as last year timing our run, beating top sides like eagles when they had won 7 on the trot, lions, and Cats too. The only difference is all our injured players having less time to get match hard. This extra semi's game helps in that regard. Extra mileage and hardness into the players.
Last week V lions had lynch played we win. Plus we gave away silly 50-meter penalties. Anyway, we took a lot out of last weeks game and made the necessary changes which worked last night.

Our pressure has been very good, similar to 2019 and thus we are strangling teams and they are not scoring a lot of goals. I think people see fumbles and slipping over and think mmm are we doing as well as previous years. AO is like Melbourne dry and no dew and humidity like in QLD.
The first qtr last night the dew hadn't set in and we were slick as moving the ball fast with sublime foot skills and kicking 5 goals.

We bring the manic pressure and speed and we will beat Port.
Putting Astbury in as relief ruck was a good move. Balta, Grimes, and Broad doing the job. Astbury still had 12 possies and 5 marks.
We look more dangerous with broad in, more flexibility, and even Balta had a stint in the ruck in the last qtr.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Saints were never in it and that's enough to tell me we're looking alright

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I think we’re travelling better than 2018 but not as well as 2017 or 2019. And I think we need to be at 2017/19 levels to win next week. Hopefully we can rise to that level.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
I think we’re travelling better than 2018 but not as well as 2017 or 2019. And I think we need to be at 2017/19 levels to win next week. Hopefully we can rise to that level.
Interesting call that. When the lockdown started, I began watching all H&A games from the past three years and I am in late 2018. I reckon until three-quarter time in the Geelong game in Round 20, we were better then than at a similar stage in 2017 and 2019. Try to ignore the fact that we won flags in those years and compare how you thought we were going at the time. We were untouchable for most of 2018 and the real interesting thing is to hear the glowing terms that normally Richmond-hating commentators were using to describe us.