GAME DAY SEMI THREAD - Tiger vs Saints | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

GAME DAY SEMI THREAD - Tiger vs Saints

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Here is an interesting and surprising stat about last night.
It was only the fourth Richmond St Kilda final - that in itself is surprising given the simultaneous successful eras the clubs had from 1965 to 1974 (although the only years we both made the finals were 1971, 1972 and 1973).
And before last night we were behind 1-2.
The Aints beat us in the 1939 First Semi Final and the 1971 Preliminary Final before the tide turned in the 1973 First Semi Final.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

Tigers by 34. $hai kicks 5, but 1 is auto review downgraded as the snicko picks up a bee's *smile* brushing the post as the ball sails through the middle

forgot I predicted this. worth a self quote no?

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Pickett has a natural tendency to try and hurt others, and most of us including Dimma like it. Who didn't like his hit on Marshall? Whack!

But when he gets the ball and goes to kick, lately I've been thinking "here comes a nice looking kicking action straight to oppo" and lately I've been right far too often.

Interesting point, Pickett does kick straight to the opposition a bit. Maybe it isn't so much his kicking as his decision making. Not deciding quick enough after 20 games maybe. Something to work on but he locks down his wing most weeks so I'd keep him in.

So much talk about the Vlastuin ball-touching incident but none about Butler's goal after the siren at the end of the first quarter. Both were non-incidents really. The ARC needs better cameras but the reality is that it was very hard to work that one out and the goal umpire, who was right there, reckons it was touched. The Butler goal was and wasn't a goal. Butler kicked as the siren went so really should not count as he was not kicking from a mark or a free kick. But, the quarter finishes when the umpire blows the whistle and holds up their hands, so, technically he kicked the goal before the quarter ended. Both were non-incidents but one got a lot more attention than the other. Football media is simply a train wreck.

DS

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Here is an interesting and surprising stat about last night.
It was only the fourth Richmond St Kilda final - that in itself is surprising given the simultaneous successful eras the clubs had from 1965 to 1974 (although the only years we both made the finals were 1971, 1972 and 1973).
And before last night we were behind 1-2.
The Aints beat us in the 1939 First Semi Final and the 1971 Preliminary Final before the tide turned in the 1973 First Semi Final.
Ratten had won 10 in a row against Richmond before last night. Another hoodoo busted.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
One other interesting aspect of our games lately. We seem to want to win it in the middle more at the moment. Centre clearances becoming more a part of our strategy? Not entirely sure but that was the main reason Port beat us last time. We'll see.

Also, don't see the parallel with 2018. We were not getting challenged, winning games we barely deserved to win, had a too easy opponent in Hawthorn in the QF. We were not playing well but kept winning so when a team came along who were playing well we didn't go up a gear. This year we are not playing great but we know it and are getting better, we know the pressure is not high enough we know there is another gear we need to hit. When you win every week not playing your best I reckon it is harder to go up a gear.

DS

Last edited:

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Never picked St Kilda supporters as a big bunch of whinging girls. But there it is.
They are up there with the crows when it comes to hissy fits and sooky sooky la la's.

....and i love it. Keep the tears coming.

Reactions: 3 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Last night's game reminds me a bit of the 2018 win over the Hawks. We beat a lesser opponent quite easily, but nothing much to get excited about. I know our best is good enough to beat Port, but last night didn't really do anything to alleviate my gut feeling that we are not at our best right now.
This why we must go in with our very best team and not risk any unnecessary changes that would upset the balance. We are good enough to take Port apart but we need 22 players to do that

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Interesting point, Pickett does kick straight to the opposition a bit. Maybe it isn't so much his kicking as his decision making. Not deciding quick enough after 20 games maybe. Something to work on but he locks down his wing most weeks so I'd keep him in.

So much talk about the Vlastuin ball-touching incident but none about Butler's goal after the siren at the end of the first quarter. Both were non-incidents really. The ARC needs better cameras but the reality is that it was very hard to work that one out and the goal umpire, who was right there, reckons it was touched. The Butler goal was and wasn't a goal. Butler kicked as the siren went so really should not count as he was not kicking from a mark or a free kick. But, the quarter finishes when the umpire blows the whistle and holds up their hands, so, technically he kicked the goal before the quarter ended. Both were non-incidents but one got a lot more attention than the other. Football media is simply a train wreck.

DS

No, he clearly kicked the ball before the siren went. Was in midair as it sounded. There was an issue with it going after the clock expired though.

Reactions: 4 users

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
One other interesting aspect of our games lately. We seem to want to win it in the middle more at the moment. Centre clearances becoming more a part of our strategy? Not entirely sure but that was the main reason Port beat us last time. We'll see.

Also, don't see the parallel with 2018. We were not getting challenged, winning games we barely deserved to win, had a too easy opponent in Hawthorn in the QF. We were not playing well but kept winning so when a team came along who were playing well we didn't go up a gear. This year we are not playing great but we know it and are getting better, we know the pressure is not high enough we know there is another gear we need to hit. When you win every week not playing your best I reckon it is harder to go up a gear.

DS
I think some things have changed and forced our hand.
1 the 6 6 6 means winning the centre clearance is more valuable
2 we have x2 key forwards so point 1 is doubled in value
3 Port showed us up and Dimma understood we cannot beat them unless we improve centre clearances.
So by necessity our style has changed. One reason Dimma was so keen to get Prestia in .
We should be much better v Port this time around.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Really disagree. Balta would be much better otb and DTLD in his customary KPD. No hurt factor; have lost his defensive marking and spoils. Marshall is able to handle him easily. No real jump.

Free the Balt! Let him rip!
Went ton late? In last q

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Interesting call that. When the lockdown started, I began watching all H&A games from the past three years and I am in late 2018. I reckon until three-quarter time in the Geelong game in Round 20, we were better then than at a similar stage in 2017 and 2019. Try to ignore the fact that we won flags in those years and compare how you thought we were going at the time. We were untouchable for most of 2018 and the real interesting thing is to hear the glowing terms that normally Richmond-hating commentators were using to describe us.
You're at the point we started to play self-preservation footy. Cats nearly ran us down after we racked the cue.

forgot I predicted this. worth a self quote no?
I tipped us by 6 goals. I blame that thug Lynch.

DS
Centre clearances very important at AO and Gabba.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
No, he clearly kicked the ball before the siren went. Was in midair as it sounded. There was an issue with it going after the clock expired though.

All I remember is watching the game last night. In real time it was very hard to tell, but I distinctly remember the siren going as he kicked it on the replay.

Didn't notice the clock at all.

At the end of the day the siren is not the end of the quarter so a moot point anyway.

DS

Tigeronprowl

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Dec 30, 2002
Prestia is the key to get into top gear. 2 games under his belt now so hopefully his next 2 weeks will be standouts. Started to get his mojo back this week. Typical Prestia goal and started to twist, turn and explode from packs.

Reactions: 3 users