GAME DAY THREAD - TIGES V HAWKS | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

GAME DAY THREAD - TIGES V HAWKS

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Leaving this game me and my mate were reflecting how hawthorn were us for so much of our Richmond supporting lives.

I.e. the other team got three or four goals ahead early then we really tried. Every time we got a goal the other team would get one in the next minute of play almost every time. If we knew what we knew now we would know the other team was just cruising and pacing themselves for a long season and we were kidding ourselves if we thought they were only a five goal better team.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Seems like the AFL meeja just believe everything that Clarko spouts regardless of truth. Rhetoric is Burgoyne did a good job on Martin. Geez I'd hate to see him do a bad job. 28 touches, 22 effective, 11 score involvements and was the best player on the ground.

Assuming therefore that (unjustly) Dusty won't be getting a perfect ten in the coaches votes again this week.

Reactions: 3 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
At the game, today geez it felt warm. First half we used our handball carry game well, cut through the hawks like swiss cheese. Just need to brush up on our forward 50 entries.
In the 2nd half we played differently, more chip, mark, slower ball movement and I guess that's all we needed to do to conserve energy.

The hawks were the ones who were 4 goals down at half time and they didn't challenge us so we played similar to them just chip, mark but when the game was there to be won in the first half we did what we needed to by moving the ball quickly.

I walked away happy in that we won by 5 goals, no injuries, preserved energy by not overexerting ourselves in the 2nd half, as next Sat temp is expected to be 28 degrees.

I saw it differently. I thought Hawthorn flooded their backline in the second half to dry up our scoring. it worked and we played dumb at times with our ball movement going forward. But it also stopped Hawthorn from scoring too, which is pointless when you're behind. The second half was a 0-0 draw and made Clarkson look stupid.

Jiath is a good player, he just always seemed to be popping up in the right place.

reads the play very well. will be a gun.

The attendance of 41,000 today was much less than I expected.
I think this new process of purchasing tickets is having a negative impact.
Supporters of the away clubs just don't seem to make an effort to come to games.
Having said that the Dawks supporters didn't really turn up today either.

Otherwise, are people still apprehensive about venturing out in large crowds?
Was it the 1.10 starting time on a Sunday which kept people away?

Interested in other thoughts and opinions on this.

All of it. people can’t work out the ticketing system. Hawthorn have the most inflated supporter base in the league (by a long way), Sunday is the least popular day to go to the footy (especially the 1:10pm starts) and people are still spooked by COVID.

I couldn't get a ticket - entering my barcode only gave me access to Junior tix for a while - then when taken to ticketek to complete a purchase couldn't log in. There's a problem with my RFC account - I can login on the mobile app but using the same credentials on the website version I get a password error. Weird.

You didn't need to enter your member barcode for this game. And you didn't need your RFC account. book everything via the Ticketek app.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Staggered at the wraps for the hawks in the media. The SEN boys were impressed by the Hawks. I thought it was a pretty average game and other than their half-back flanker showing promise and young Brockman doing well there wasn't a whole lot to be excited about.

Mitchell just wanders around getting stats, Breust and Burgoyne are done. Shiels is about to turn 30 and gonna start to decline. O'Brien is a waste of years of development, their ruckman is an ageing warrior backed up by an undersized trier in Ceglar. Their midfield has 2 decent players in Mitchell/O'Meara. Worpell has gone backwards at a rate of knots. Hartigan, Frost and Phillips add to the C-grade depth.

They are in for a decade of irrelevance and it's just fantastic.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Staggered at the wraps for the hawks in the media. The SEN boys were impressed by the Hawks. I thought it was a pretty average game and other than their half-back flanker showing promise and young Brockman doing well there wasn't a whole lot to be excited about.

Mitchell just wanders around getting stats, Breust and Burgoyne are done. Shiels is about to turn 30 and gonna start to decline. O'Brien is a waste of years of development, their ruckman is an ageing warrior backed up by an undersized trier in Ceglar. Their midfield has 2 decent players in Mitchell/O'Meara. Worpell has gone backwards at a rate of knots. Hartigan, Frost and Phillips add to the C-grade depth.

They are in for a decade of irrelevance and it's just fantastic.
To be fair they have two promising half-back flankers: Jiath and Day. The rest is right though. Shovelhands Mitchell would have to be the most overrated crab in the game. 37 insignificant touches, half of them throws. Crumples Macrae's a better player.

Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
There's no doubt they flooded back and as some others have posted, it was in many respects, a typical game v Borethorn for us. We look like blowing them out of the water early so the "genius" rolls back and tries to make it a respectable loss. Problem was, our decision making and execution when we had a lot of the ball was terrible just the same. We couldn't pick our way through half the time, kept on kicking to Lynch one on three etc. etc. Looked better in the last quarter, we were a bit more patient and selective, but it was a struggle for a lot of the game.

Wouldn't mind betting we get a bit of the same from the Cygnets this week.

Reactions: 3 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Seems like the AFL meeja just believe everything that Clarko spouts regardless of truth. Rhetoric is Burgoyne did a good job on Martin. Geez I'd hate to see him do a bad job. 28 touches, 22 effective, 11 score involvements and was the best player on the ground.

Assuming therefore that (unjustly) Dusty won't be getting a perfect ten in the coaches votes again this week.
Come on mann.
Bygyongune shut Martin out for about 3 seconds.
If i see one more show spend an entire segment on why the opposition don't tag Dusty, thats it for me.
He is toooo good in the middle.
He is too fast and agile for the Tall defender and he creams anyone his height.
Now Shut the Fik up and watch him bring another Charlie to punt rd.
He soo fit its unbelievable.
Resting him forward is just a picnic for Dusty.
Should've kicked 5 yesterday.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
The attendance of 41,000 today was much less than I expected.
I think this new process of purchasing tickets is having a negative impact.
Supporters of the away clubs just don't seem to make an effort to come to games.
Having said that the Dawks supporters didn't really turn up today either.

Otherwise, are people still apprehensive about venturing out in large crowds?
Was it the 1.10 starting time on a Sunday which kept people away?

Interested in other thoughts and opinions on this.

I know of a couple of people who would normally attend but didn’t even bother because of the ticketing hassle, the uncertainty of how to do it, and if it’s changed suddenly and they’re not aware

Reactions: 2 users

tigerhalsey

RICHOOOO What A Mark!!
Jul 28, 2007
Melbourne
My thoughts are, it wasnt our home game which kept people away.
Also the unknown of buying tickets, i usually attend games as a guest pass on a MCC membership.
However I am unsure if i can even get a ticket now so I havent even bothered trying.

Billy24

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2014
My thoughts are, it wasnt our home game which kept people away.
Also the unknown of buying tickets, i usually attend games as a guest pass on a MCC membership.
However I am unsure if i can even get a ticket now so I havent even bothered trying.
Visitor tickets into MCC are still available,( $51 for an adult). MCC classifies game as a 1, 2 or 3 and allows visitors to suit (1=blockbuster and so on)

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
I’m going against the grain here... I loved the 1:10 start, worked great with the young fella .... drove and parked in the city, got a reasonable relaxed lunch in town, doddled out on metro, watched the match and then home comfortably in time for family dinner.... worked a treat.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
I know of a couple of people who would normally attend but didn’t even bother because of the ticketing hassle, the uncertainty of how to do it, and if it’s changed suddenly and they’re not aware
I suspect if someone could be bothered to check our crowd v the hawks is usually only in 40,000s.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Garry Lyon was all over the Hawks during the game, so much so that i wanted either kick the TV in or find a way to notify him and say shut the *smile* up ..