GAME DAY THREAD - TIGES V HAWKS | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

GAME DAY THREAD - TIGES V HAWKS

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
I suspect if someone could be bothered to check our crowd v the hawks is usually only in 40,000s.

It’s been 18 months and 2 premierships since most of us have seen them live, so it’s fair to expect us to exceed the 10-year average with all else being equal.

- ticketing hassle
- contact tracing with QR codes or whatever they’re doing
- getting to the game is more annoying with masks on public transport
- new habit of watching every game on TV last year
- general frustration at constantly changing restrictions with everything when going out

Crowds should only increase in the coming weeks, but if restrictions have to change again I wouldn’t be surprised to see a percentage of people just deciding to watch it from home this year.

Hopefully we can have less uncertainty moving forward and we get to hear 90k+ crowds by finals!

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Would like to see the pressure ratings.
Thought our pressure was at finals-like levels early in the game, particularly in the fwd 50.
Hawks were all at sea & made a heap of mistakes.
After that we were always in control of the game but the effort dropped off. I'm comfortable with that.
Was a easy win.
Coming weeks tougher.

Reactions: 5 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I have a bit of spare time today (read: Wednesday deadline, procrastinating), so I've just watched the replay. We did it on the bit, really. Just kept them at arm's length, like a 12-year-old messing with his little brother. Dusty is like that with the entire sport at the moment.

Lynch busted his arse and showed strong hands. Shedda, like Lids before him, could be the best half-back in the comp if we didn't prefer him elsewhere most of the time. I thought he was a bit Hollywood watching at the ground yesterday, but on the re-watch he was pretty damn good, probably our second-best after Hercules in number 4.

Marlion was nowhere near as bad as some are making out, and his kicking was better than at least Cotch - who despite his woes blew out the cobwebs nicely. I love watching Marlion move; he just glides, but like an ice skater it's at high velocity. The way to understand him is to realise he's a defensive player. I don't think I've seen a player consistently close down space as quickly as he does.

Another defensive player is Rioli. Have a look at the contest in our F50 leading up to Nank's set shot in the second. It's Lynch and Rioli v 5 Hawks. Danny scraps at ground level long enough for Caddy to arrive and win a free. Coach would love that. He did it more than once too.

All in all, a ho-hum five goal easy victory that we were never in danger of losing. That's fine for Round 2. Let Poort flog the dregs in March, we flog good sides in September.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Poor O'Meara. A slow shadow of the player he could have been. He was better in his first year.

Shovelhands Mitchell. What a crab. He better not get votes for that. He throws the ball, deliberately, several times per game, every game. Deliberately breaking the rules is cheating. He's a cheat. But he's as damaging as a light breeze is to an oak tree. 25 handballs, 75% of them just referring the pressure. Blah. *smile* off.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I know of a couple of people who would normally attend but didn’t even bother because of the ticketing hassle, the uncertainty of how to do it, and if it’s changed suddenly and they’re not aware
I work in IT and I couldn't make the system work.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
I reckon Clarkson and Dimma had an agreement yesterday. They spent the afternoon trying to find ways to shut down all this annoying scoring again.

Surely Clarkson was taking the p155 when he finished the game with both McEvoy and Ceglar stationed across half back, along with Jiath, Howe, Burgoyne, Hardwick, Setterfield, Impey and anyone else he had at his disposal who he thought might have been able to take an intercept mark..

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
The one thing that was really evident in the 2nd half.

Some of the media whingers have been whinging about "how long the quarters are". Well we sure showed them the way, very simple way to reduce the quarter lengths, DON'T KICK GOALS. It stops all those pesky 1 minute breaks between goals and shortens the quarter down, its been staring them in the face the whole time. :rotfl2

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Marlion was nowhere near as bad as some are making out, and his kicking was better than at least Cotch - who despite his woes blew out the cobwebs nicely. I love watching Marlion move; he just glides, but like an ice skater it's at high velocity. The way to understand him is to realise he's a defensive player. I don't think I've seen a player consistently close down space as quickly as he does.
thank you Spook. Marlion is something else in my book. Verges on the abstract what he gets done and how quick he is to get it done. Thought there was way to much negativity towards him and the team yesterday ..

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
Agree. First quarter we were scintillating, Clarko's freckle tightened and he turned the game into netball.
Clarko's freckle was observed by St Kevin!

Now that's one hell of an effort to maintain such close scrutiny of the opposition!

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Agree re Pickett. Like George, you need to ignore the offensive stuff and just appreciate the defensive. Give him his wing back. I wanna see him maul Issac Smith next time we play the cants.

Reactions: 3 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Don’t see the Dorks giving us too much trouble today.
Either a 10+ goal win or we do our normal build a five goal lead and maintain.
No injuries, 4 points and another 3 votes for D Martin will do me fine
Pretty good! :D

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Clarko's freckle was observed by St Kevin!

Now that's one hell of an effort to maintain such close scrutiny of the opposition!

Canonisation has its perks, and omniscience is one of them.

Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Markov anyone? Going very well at the Richmond Suns 2nds.

Was thinking the same thing yesterday Kings of Leon. Whilst I didn't think he was a great loss at the time, and we couldn't match the offer anyway, from a depth perspective the Caddy/Pickett/Kaps type role that he can play..... yeah he'd be a handy option right now.

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
not sure markov is a wing - more a back flanker, which we have plenty

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
My best mate is young Koschitzke's uncle. He came over to my place to watch the game with me. He looks like he could develop into a decent player for them.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Funny thing looking at the replay of yesterday's game is that low crowd reminded me of the (bad) old days of low crowds at the G in the early 90s where you just rocked up, easy to find a seat and to watch a hopeful win.