Game day thread v Poos and Wees | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game day thread v Poos and Wees

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Save for 2 or 3 individual performances, the overall team performance was very average.

These off and on levels of intensity are gonna bring us undone against better sides. Distinct lack of speed and run in the side too.
Agreed. And so inefficient going forward and scoring: look at the dominant stats. Should have been a 10 goal win. And yet could have almost lost this game (as umps tried to assist it) but for brilliant solo efforts from Tom, Shai and Dusty.

Reactions: 1 user

tiger76

Tiger Superstar
Mar 26, 2014
Want to look at it again but near certain that Lewis actually jumped over Balta looking for the free. Whereas Balta actually put his head down and bravely went for the ball.
One obvious by-product of the rigged umpiring is Dawks' players were continually playing for soft decisions and getting them too. It was also dissent but ignored, unlike for us.
He did jump, and if technically Balta’s action constitutes a free (which I don’t agree with) then pay it every time.

Broad was bowled over the same way in the 3rd or 4th Qtr and it was play on, which for me puts the notion that what Balta did is paid all the time in the bin.

EDIT
Yeah and as for playing for frees, Butler’s head duck was disgraceful, and not even mentioned by the flunky commentators.

Reactions: 4 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
He did jump, and if technically Balta’s action constitutes a free (which I don’t agree with) then pay it every time.

Broad was bowled over the same way in the 3rd or 4th Qtr and it was play on, which for me puts the notion that what Balta did is paid all the time in the bin.

EDIT
Yeah and as for playing for frees, Butler’s head duck was disgraceful, and not even mentioned by the flunky commentators.
Saw that and totally agree. Just further evidence for the deliberately rigged umpiring against our team ... it's been happening for 5 years now.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Want to look at it again but near certain that Lewis actually jumped over Balta looking for the free. Whereas Balta actually put his head down and bravely went for the ball
Absolutely he did, I've said in previous posts players too often play for frees eg lean back in to your opponent to make it look like they holding you, duck your head and aim for the opponent's arm to get a high free, if you're bring tackled and are dispossessed thrown yourself to the ground to make it look like you're bring tackled without the ball and yes, in Baltas case if your opponent is on the ground fall over them to get the "take the knees " free

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Hmm, exciting game but not great. Some decent passages, but also scrappy at times.

In the first quarter and for a fair bit of the second quarter Richmond just looked asleep at the wheel. Very disinterested. Luckily we got our sh!t together because you don't win unless you put in the effort.

The scoring efficiency is an interesting one. Looking at Richmond games I often notice that our opposition are forced wide which reduces their scoring efficiency. Not this game, Hawthorn were getting the ball in through the corridor. This is reflected in their 53% scoring from inside 50s. But, I looked back and Hawthorn seem quite good at this, Against Melbourne Hawthorn scored 52% of inside 50 entries. They are an efficient team, not sure many score that often against Melbourne although I would have to check. Clearly we needed to be defending the corridor a lot better. The way the game is played now it is close to impossible to stop scoring when the ball goes quickly forward, and it goes quickly forward a lot. Yes, we do need to defend better, but we also need to defend better further up the ground.

Ultimately we won because we controlled the game for longer and that was reflected in much higher inside 50s for Richmond.

The umpiring was, as usual, woeful. The mark to Castagna, the ridiculous free against Balta . . . the list goes on. For yet another week we played against angels who rarely, if ever contravene the rules of our once great game. They only, apparently, contravened the rules 5 times in a whole half and I think it was 8 times by 3/4 time. It is truly amazing how angelic our opposition is week after week. We clearly have a positive impact on our opposition as they concede so few free kicks.

Wanted to comment on Biggie. Clearly it would have been an easier game for him if Balta had not gone off, Balta wasn't having his best day either, I was wondering if his contact lenses were causing issues at times. I thought Biggie was ok. A lot of the mistakes he made were mistakes born of a lack of experience reflected in being moved out of the way too easily or not adjusting to the tougher and faster game at AFL level. The key here is for some of the coaching staff to take him aside and make sure he learns from what was happening. Biggie can be more competitive one on one, he can get to where the ball is, but that should be a great learning experience of just how much harder it is at AFL level. Kept trying all day and looked gassed at the end, will improve.

DS

Reactions: 7 users

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
I wanted to remind PRE that I understand the emotion of the game and venting online is easy, but be careful how you ‘direct’ your frustrations to players and coach.

Reactions: 6 users

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
Watched the replay. Hmmm. Not sure if its me but that was as close to a 2017-2020 win that ive seen for a while. Tackling was as good as its been for over a year. Forward and Defence are fine. Biggest issue is a 4qtr gut running mid.
Replace George. He just has to go. Stack for mine or give Cumberland a crack.
Pickering's form has dropped off since his little holiday.
Lynch gone to another level in the last 4 weeks.
Can we scour the state leagues for the best hard running mid and bring him in Caddys spot

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I wanted to remind PRE that I understand the emotion of the game and venting online is easy, but be careful how you ‘direct’ your frustrations to players and coach.
These umpires are causing fan dissent. Would be less of the venting if our game was umpired better.

Reactions: 1 users