Game day thread v Poos and Wees | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game day thread v Poos and Wees

Feb 25, 2007
What was said?

rainbow snort GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
I didn't like Baker forward and he hasn't inpired me since going back. Has the endeavour and all that but something Is still missing.
The problem is that backmen just have to be competitive in the air to at least be able to get a spoil in, or you concede easy shots at goal. And Baker is competitive aerially - but for his size only.
However, the way that backs/forwards switch opponents frequently in the modern game means he is often outsized considerably in both height and weight. Forwards, who play there because they are usually the best marks in the side, often only have to stop and prop, denying him a leap and simply out-reach him. He is really only suited to the SFs because he is very short, although as game as NK.

He is a liability in that way so opposition coaches would be telling their ball carriers to look for that obvious mis-match and exploit it.

Reactions: 2 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
The problem is that backmen just have to be competitive in the air to at least be able to get a spoil in, or you concede easy shots at goal. And Baker is competitive aerially - but for his size only.
However, the way that backs/forwards switch opponents frequently in the modern game means he is often outsized considerably in both height and weight. Forwards, who play there because they are usually the best marks in the side, often only have to stop and prop, denying him a leap and simply out-reach him. He is really only suited to the SFs because he is very short, although as game as NK.

He is a liability in that way so opposition coaches would be telling their ball carriers to look for that obvious mis-match and exploit it.
Spot on - he absolutely does his best he can aerially but when someone is 15cm taller and 10kg heavier and knows what to do it’s an impossible task.

Reactions: 3 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights

Poor guy was stranded at top of PR end goal square under a high ball. Thing was he wouldn't havemarked it unopposed as it floated over his head. Though at that stage of the game even our tall backs were having trouble stopping the hawk forwards plucking the high balls.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Poor guy was stranded at top of PR end goal square under a high ball. Thing was he wouldn't havemarked it unopposed as it floated over his head. Though at that stage of the game even our tall backs were having trouble stopping the hawk forwards plucking the high balls.
Yep. It's why I've never fully embraced this modern thing of defenders zoning off or switching opponents so casually. Certain match-ups need to be maintained i.e. KPD stays on a KPF. Otherwise you get Baker caught out on a much bigger, stronger opponent in contests he cannot even be expected to neutralise.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Since we’ve been a great side , there’s one thing that go’s missing on our poor games and that’s tackling , the last 3/4 ers yesterday was a great sign , lead by 4 of the very best Skip, Grimes , Pickett and Graham

Tackles:

Graham 8
Lambert 8
Bakes 7
Shai 7
Nank 5
Pickett 4
Cotch 3

Compare that to our VFL team who only had 28 in total yesterday and of that RCD had 6 of them, no wonder we lost that game.
Banks Clarke Sonsie & Brown all zero tackles not a great sign.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
This was an interesting game in the planning.

Dimma was scornful of Mitchell in his prematch presser. Said we understood their horseshoe shape and filthy dice rolling. Said we had to stop them moving the ball through the middle and we knew that. Dismissed them as a chance. No "they're a good side" diplomacy. Just contempt.

Mitchell knifed Clarko. Dimma coaches mano e mano and likes to rub the other coach's nose in it.

Dimma, IMO, was full of hubris. And the game was played on Mitchell's terms for a while there, despite the lack of Hawthorn personnel.

We still can't settle the back line. So we leak. We lack aerial structure behind the ball. And we have have players fumbling all over the park because we're not settled. Our players are t used to each other in their roles. Turnovers are hurting us.

That said, we're winning games. And we might yet settle this backline.

Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Well that’s them done for the day now :)
Yeh, they beat my full game prediction in about 35 minutes!!!
Surprised at how many goals we leaked. Should have been a 40 point win.

Reactions: 1 users

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane
Yeh, they beat my full game prediction in about 35 minutes!!!
Surprised at how many goals we leaked. Should have been a 40 point win.

Teams aren't having trouble generating scoring shots against us, which is a concern.

Hopefully Dimma and team can identify the issues.