Game day thread v St Kilda rd 15 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game day thread v St Kilda rd 15

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Hardwick's body language at the presser was interesting. Was kinda scrunched up for most of it, indicating he wasn't in any mood to expand too much. Got the impression he wasn't overly happy with today's performance. But he briefly touched on Cotchin and Short and said they "got through" and didn't think we had any injuries out of the match.

Had a crack at the fixturing (17-day break) as we head into yet another 6-day break.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
The win just covers the huge cracks in the side.
Stkilda are rubbish.
McIntosh Ellis Graham Caddy Rioli Cotchin arent playing well.
Huge concerns going forward

Some truth to that. StKilda are terrible and we found ourselves 4 goals behind them.

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
Make no mistake, we were seriously scratchy for much of the game.

Several players underdone (lambo, short, Astbury, Cotchin) and a few out of form (Caddy, Rioli, even Lynch). But they are big, experienced bodies and we need them playing together.

Repeat oppo entries were un-Richmond like.

Lack of forward cohesion was un-Richmond like, but sadly a theme for 2019.

It might just be a tactic for Marvel, but teams are sweating on our poor entries and mopping up far too easily.

That tells me that we’re playing too high. Mozzies getting sucked up the ground to help a flaky midfield. Full belief and confidence isn’t there yet.

The stretch and shape that in-form, confident and cohesive teams have still eludes us. At least it did until the last.

For much of the game, when the high ball went in, it was Lynch without support, and his ground pressure is shizen.

But ... you could see us working out the cobwebs over four quarters. Pleasingly, the likes of Rioli, so out of touch, seriously amped up the intensity in the last.

We still have gears. We can still pile on the goals. Not sure when our last seven goal quarter was but it’s a great sign.

No injuries.

Beat Gold Coast and we are 9-6 with a lovely run at the G to come.

People need to realise that we have been handed the perfect finals tune up by the AFL. It’s not the teams we play, it’s the ground we know so well. Massive tactical advantage.

Hardwick wasn’t happy but he’s in war mode now.

I think the club expected to be here, at 8-6, with our pre-season and then the injuries.

Best case scenario, we finish on 15-16 even if we drop a couple (Collingwood, West Coast). Under the radar and with muted expectation.

I am quietly confident about where we sit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004

Several players underdone (lambo, short, Astbury, Cotchin) and a few out of form (Caddy, Rioli, even Lynch). But they are big, experienced bodies and we need them playing together.

It might just be a tactic for Marvel, but teams are sweating on our poor entries and mopping up far too easily.

That tells me that we’re playing too high. Mozzies getting sucked up the ground to help a flaky midfield. Full belief and confidence isn’t there yet.

The stretch and shape that in-form, confident and cohesive teams have still eludes us. At least it did until the last.

For much of the game, when the high ball went in, it was Lynch without support, and his ground pressure is shizen.

But ... you could see us working out the cobwebs over four quarters. Pleasingly, the likes of Rioli, so out of touch, seriously amped up the intensity in the last.

We still have gears. We can still pile on the goals. Not sure when our last seven goal quarter was but it’s a great sign.

No injuries.

People need to realise that we have been handed the perfect finals tune up by the AFL. It’s not the teams we play, it’s the ground we know so well. Massive tactical advantage.

I think the club expected to be here, at 8-6, with our pre-season and then the injuries.

Best case scenario, we finish on 15-16 even if we drop a couple (Collingwood, West Coast). Under the radar and with muted expectation.

Not sure how you come to that conclusion.
GC are a chance against us.
Forget about the blokes coming bsck from long layoffs. Its the players continually getting games on the back of some really poor form. Caddy McIntosh Ellis Roili.
Cotchin should've been given games in the Two's. He looks finished.
The Ruck is a huge issue also. Soldo isnt the answer.

Good signs. We might've found our CHB in Cholly.
Anyone capable of kicking 4 goals in today's game. Stays in the forward line, Stacky.
And Dusty is a great footballer.

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007

No injuries.

Agree - especially the war mode bit..

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
With a 17 day break and 7 players in after varying injury layoffs we were always going to be scratchy. It was good to see Rioli, and Caddy get better as the game went on too. We were getting to the ball first and coughing it up. They will alll Ben better for the run.

A win by around 5-6 goals was what we would have expected and it is what we got. The kids in Bolton, Stack, and Chol were instrumental in the win. Most importantly no injuries.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Highest-drawing match of the round (41K), for the fifth time this season after a shitty fixture to this point (5 interstate + 4 Marvel).

If we can get on a roll there should be some monster crowds in the run home.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007

No injuries.

Good post, good summary.

What is absent at the moment is our renowned pressure, and our legendary commitment to the team/teammates. A number of examples on Sunday where our players were spectating, was very frustrating.

Not sure why it has gone missing (other than obviously senior players injured), but I think it will be the key ingredient to getting momentum back and competing with the top sides. Will be essential in particular against GWS and Collingwood.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFLCA
9 Stack
7 Martin
5 Chol

4 Marshall
3 Prestia
2 Ross

Season
37 Martin (6 games) eq 21st
27 Houli (5) eq 42nd
24 Edwards (4) eq 50th
22 Prestia (5) eq 58th
16 Grimes (5) eq 75th
13 Lambert (2) eq 93rd
11 Stack (3) eq 106th
10 Cotchin (1), Ellis (3), Lynch (2), Vlastuin (1) eq 117th
9 Nankervis (3) eq 133rd
6 Bolton (1) eq 170th
5 Chol (1), McIntosh (3) eq 181st
1 Baker eq 257th

Good sign, with 16 players having enough influence to poll votes without Rance, Riewoldt, Rioli, Caddy, Short, Higgins, Castagna, Astbury getting on the board. Butler, Broad, Graham, Balta, Pickett, Ross, Naish also some chance.

We had 19 players poll in 2017; the other 8 premiers in the last 9 years had 21-25.

Last edited:

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
I just watched the second half replay.

We were seriously scratchy - and the last quarter I was really surprised how often we were second to the contest. Lucky the sainters clearly played to minimise the loss rather than all our attack.

Houli was unbelievable the way he turned the ball over. I am one of his big fans but he could have easily cost us the game.

I thought we played well but now not convinced and have a mountain of work to do and no wonder Dimma didn’t look that happy at his presser.

The only good thing about that game is that it is the last time we play at that venue this year full stop.

Oh ..... and no injuries

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Stack got 9 coaches votes this week and Chol got 5 (Dusty 7) and Prestia 3.

Who would have thought at the start of the year that 2 blokes who only just made it on to the rookie list would dominate the coaches votes?

Reactions: 1 user

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Not sure how you come to that conclusion.
GC are a chance against us.
Forget about the blokes coming bsck from long layoffs. Its the players continually getting games on the back of some really poor form. Caddy McIntosh Ellis Roili.
Cotchin should've been given games in the Two's. He looks finished.
The Ruck is a huge issue also. Soldo isnt the answer.

Good signs. We might've found our CHB in Cholly.
Anyone capable of kicking 4 goals in today's game. Stays in the forward line, Stacky.
And Dusty is a great footballer.

Cotch ain’t a problem - just might take a week or two to get back to normal speed and output
And absolutely did not need to play seconds

Reactions: 1 users