GAME DAY Tigers V Bombers Dreamtime | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact [email protected] // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check that your email is correct and also your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT! Our inbox is full of email errors from members who have not updated their emails, please follow the instructions on how to update here
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

GAME DAY Tigers V Bombers Dreamtime

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Well ordinary game is a step up from terrible. You're view is progressing. Again you said he butchered the ball alot. Fact is he didn't at 76% efficiency. Rating if you subscribe to that was 12th for the Tigers by SC score. I don't generally. I didn't see him fumble a lot, will check again when I watch the replay. Have been a critic of Pickett at times, particularly around his disposal, but last night he made some really good decisions under the pump imo of course.
I’ve been through the entire game. Noted every possession and time of them.

He hit his target 41% of the time overall. I’ll say that again for you: 41%.

He had 2 missed kicks and 2 that were effective - one being lace out to Chol with 15.12 to go in the third quarter.

From his 13 handballs 8 missed a team mate and hit the ground. Some were just outright hack efforts. A bunch of them hit the ground and often missed a team mate by a mile, but fortunately for us a number also bounced up and we were able to recover - which goes down as an effective stat. (One or two even resulted in a goal eg 1.25 to go in the last quarter where he handballed to nobody in particular but it bounced up for Rioli who goalled.)

But otherwise his disposal was bloody ordinary and lacked composure.

If you think having only 4 kicks for a game, two of which were balls ups and then missing 8 out of 13 handballs is a good game with good disposal, then you and I will have to agree to disagree TL.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Pickett's disposal is often what I call "loopy" or "noodly". It's not crisp and I suspect it's some sort of mental thing where he's over-thinking it.

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Morning Tiger fans,
The entertainment was ok L2, it was limited in preparation and also by execution due to the covid rules. Nothing that will be etched into my mind as good or bad.
The game, Ess set up really well behind the ball which is why there is some consternation regarding our defence. Our defence played really well, they were under the pump 50% of the time each quarter. The bombers locked that ball in with efficiency and discipline every single time. Often we were forced to kick down the line because that extra 30 meters to an out number is better than an out number within one kick to goal. On the occasion we kicked into the centre we were under the pump in the same manner as the out number down the line.
Our forward line struggled because of the above, the bombers were disciplined in flooding the half forward and often or always outnumbered us going forward, until the last 15 min that is.
Start of the last we had Chol off and I'm pretty sure Grimes off (correct me if I'm wrong) the ground and it showed. They got the 4 in 10 min. We couldn't get our mids to touch the pill. Backline did really well and noticed Broad stood up. Enter Chol enter our mids, the right boys started to get the ball in hand. We never looked back.
One noticeable aspect for mine was how we ran over the top of the ground at the end, our pressure rating felt like it went through the roof and we rolled them. They were spent chasing us. We finally got space which the had not afford us all night.
Prestia was moving well after the game, he was on the ground and appeared without niggle. Not sure what the official line is.
Shai was gold, when he got involved.
CJ is starting to understand he is a big kid. Played well.
Chol, stepped up and accepted the responsibility. Great to see.
Balta, what an athlete. Caught out of position a few times but mostly caused by turn overs. The back six are getting their mojo back dont worry about that. The bombers were no slouches with ball movement, believe it or not they out richmonded us a few times.
Prestia is a rolls Royce. His hands are sublime.
Aarts was everywhere, frustrating at times but his effort cannot be questioned and he hits the ball hard.
Pickett took the north wing (and ruck) and covered so much ground, we are lucky to have him, im not sure another player on our list wants to be put in that spot. Their ruck played really well too.
BOG - not sure of the stats apart from the ess kid who got it, merett, dusty, their ruck and Bolton were noticeable.
It was a solid game in slippery conditions and a worthy celebration of the Sir Doug Nicholls round.

Thanks for this, always good to hear from those at the ground. With the narrow camera angles you don't see the structures and what is going on around half a kick away from the ball along with how everyone is positioned when either team is trying to get out of defence.

DS

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Pickett's disposal is often what I call "loopy" or "noodly". It's not crisp and I suspect it's some sort of mental thing where he's over-thinking it.
Well, he goes from rib eye to chuck steak with it sometimes. As TBR pointed out v Blandbane, he had a terrible game running at just 40% disposal efficiency overall. And with 15 handballs and 5 kicks. That’s real bad.

But then he can have great moments and decent games with it too. The kick to Chol last night was superb.

Last edited:

TT33

GO TIGES!!!
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Oleg Markov going forwards at a great rate of knots, just at the wrong club.

The milk has been spilt clean it up, time to move on.

He wanted out we didn't want him to go but the club did the right thing by him, end of story imo.

Reactions: 7 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Apparently Essendon did well being without Shiel, Caldwell and McGrath for a majority of the game.

Nank. Astbury. Lambert. Lynch.

Reactions: 1 user

jackfrost

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
Just think his time is close. Would never doubt his commitment but against the quicker teams I see a noticeable drop off, particularly in his disposal decisions due to being rushed.
Oh there is no doubt he is close, carrying this team on his shoulders as he did for so long between '10-'16, before the turnaround in '17 will have that effect on anybody down the line, to be honest, I'm totally amazed he has lasted this long after all the turmoil of his first 9 years, he looked Aged and Tired to me 5 years ago but has comeback time and time again when I thought he was gone. Fair chance thiis could be his last and if so, it's been an absolute delight to have witnessed. Deserves another Premiership to finish on and cap one great career.

jackfrost

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
I don’t get ch 207 on Foxtel. If I want to watch 7HD I have to switch the input over to TV and watch that. The 7HD picture is clearly inferior to Foxtel HD picture.
So in other words, you dont pay the extra for HD channels Riddles ? I can't say I've ever watched the 207 channel I have to watch the Footy, ad's shiite/bore me to tears these day's and I'm quite happy to pay extra NOT to have to see them.
No doubt at all that there are different levels of HD as you say, these bassturds can do and choose what quality they send out to viewers and we get NO say in it whatsoever, which sucks.

jackfrost

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
Our defence looks a bit off
Houli is really struggling, BigV isn't the same BigV, Grimey was good last night, Broad has been the best of the back 6 this year
Took some decent marks but your right, still seems a little off does Flossy. Maybe that head knock has affected him more than we realise, he'll come good, been an outstanding talent for this club and a vital part of that rebounding defence to attack.

jackfrost

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
Geeez! Winch might just be a tad closer to Colac than the Bellarine Peninsula. Closest thing ever to a wave out at Winch would've come from big Bolt Donahue easing into a bath.
Torquay and Anglesea a Bee's *smile* closer TM, but not much in it...............................Not sure Big Larry every eased into anything, did he ?

percyms

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
Watched the replay and took more notice of the commentary. God Richo - was barracking for the bombers IMO. Needs to get over this not being bias stuff. Very bad. Seemed all our marks (CCJ) were touched and free kicks not paid to Bombers (Grimes) were the difference. Oh well - winners are grinners i guess.

Reactions: 4 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
So in other words, you dont pay the extra for HD channels Riddles ? I can't say I've ever watched the 207 channel I have to watch the Footy, ad's shiite/bore me to tears these day's and I'm quite happy to pay extra NOT to have to see them.
No doubt at all that there are different levels of HD as you say, these bassturds can do and choose what quality they send out to viewers and we get NO say in it whatsoever, which sucks.
No I’ve got the platinum package Jack; the works which includes every Foxtel HD channel. It’s just that not all of the FTA channels are available on Foxtel. For example I get regular 7 channel and 7 mate but not 7HD. I’ll have a look at my settings and see if I need to do an update. It’s not really a big deal as I can flick back to the antenna if I want to watch a FTA channel on HD. I’ve only noticed it because I record The Front Bar through Foxtel IQ4 box and I can only get it on the 7 SD channel. The picture is woeful.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I’ve been through the entire game. Noted every possession and time of them.

He hit his target 41% of the time overall. I’ll say that again for you: 41%.

He had 2 missed kicks and 2 that were effective - one being lace out to Chol with 15.12 to go in the third quarter.

From his 13 handballs 8 missed a team mate and hit the ground. Some were just outright hack efforts. A bunch of them hit the ground and often missed a team mate by a mile, but fortunately for us a number also bounced up and we were able to recover - which goes down as an effective stat. (One or two even resulted in a goal eg 1.25 to go in the last quarter where he handballed to nobody in particular but it bounced up for Rioli who goalled.)

But otherwise his disposal was bloody ordinary and lacked composure.

If you think having only 4 kicks for a game, two of which were balls ups and then missing 8 out of 13 handballs is a good game with good disposal, then you and I will have to agree to disagree TL.
I started thinking, geez maybe I was wrong, is the ol' eyesight starting to play tricks on me, but seriously now I know you're just taking the p!ss. I've watched the first 3 quarters (don't have time to watch the last atm) and I'm even more impressed by Pickett's game. What really stood out how hard he run up and down the ground all the way into the D50 and F50. Then to have to ruck AND play on the wing. Hurculean effort when you think about it. And his defensive play created turnovers and goals. Not to mention a lot of his disposal was under immense pressure, he had 11 contested possessions, the most for the team.

Your comments regarding his disposal are just so far away from what actually happened. Here's what I saw with time to go as a reference point. People can make their own judgement if they want to check but it looks like bias to me. There were certainly a lot of missed targets all night. Cotchin, Edwards, Baker, Graham. Dusty, Balta, Houli, Prestia, Baker, Castagna, saw them all miss targets or hit the opposition player at times. There was a lot of it in the match but I just don't understand singling out Pickett especially since it didn't really happen much at all. Remember you were the one who said he butchered the ball a lot and was very ordinary.

Disposal efficiency first 3 quarters; Kicks 66%, Handballs 89%, Total 83%

WhenKick/HBEfficient?Notes
Q1 17:57Beautiful tackle on McGrath - rendered him finished for the night
Q1 10:48Won tough contested ball, tapped onto Balta
Q1 8:47Lucky to not give a free away after Bomber mark
Q1 7:55KickYMark on 50, short pass to Reiwoldt for shot at goal
Q1 5:31HandballYGreat tackle & then handball under pressure to Chol who dropped it
Q1 4:48Ricochets of boot to Baker in D50
Q1 2:18HandballYD50 receives from Chol perfect handball to Prestia
Q1 1:54HandballNF50 handball to opposition under immense pressure
Q2 13:30HandballYGreat front a centre, handballed as being takled over top in front of Martin to run onto
Q2 11:14Centre bounce tackle & turnover to our advantage and again (twice)
Q2 8:36F50 beautiful tackle - created Caddy's goal
Q2 6:32HandballYD50 won contested ball - perfect handdball backwards to Balta
Q2 6:13KickND50 rushed his kick & turned it over
Q3 15:10KickYPerfect long kick to Chol after picking up off the ground
Q3 13:56HandballYD50, positioned himself in between 2 Bombers in marking contest to effect spoil, then under immense pressure beautiful handball to Edwards
Q3 11:31HandballYWins ground ball, handball in front of Bolton, not perfect but effective
Q3 10:57HandballYTapped out to him from ball up, handballs forward under immense pressure to Chol's advantage
Q3 9:19Pressured player Perkins to cause turnover
Q3 8:15D15, great hit out to Edwards from ball up
Q3 6:31HandballYFlew for mark against 2, won ball, perfect handball to Houli under pressure, Houli turns over his kick

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

jackfrost

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
We let a non-finalist team score 84 points against us, with almost 50% of that score occurring in a 15-minute window.

That 15-minute window is happening more often this year.

Why is it happening?
Getting a little to cutsey with kicks occasionally and not doing the 1%ers as well, plus there has to be some complacency after the run we've been on the last 4 years you'd have to think.

Our continuance of handballing to team mates in worse postions is wearing very very thin on me and if I see Shorty or Bachar take a kickout from a point again and kick the ball a foot outside the Square, I'll deadset Spew Up. Why is it that every other team takes the 40 yd advantage (without a single bounce most times) these new rules have allowed, yet we tend to want to take 4 kicks of 14 yds to get the same distance ?............. infuriating stuff ! :mad: