GAME DAY Tigers V Bombers Dreamtime | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

GAME DAY Tigers V Bombers Dreamtime

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Good win in the end but certainly hearts in the mouth stuff mid way through the last.

First quarter was good, we seemed to just be holding them off and scoring enough to stay ahead for the next 2 quarters, then came the last.

No idea what went on at the start of the last quarter. I know Prestia went off sometime through the last quarter, was he struggling before that, did we take time to adjust? We just could not get a possession for maybe 10-15 minutes there, Essendon were just smacking us and scoring at will.

What does occur to me is that, yes, our defence is not what we know it can be, but the way the game is being played now, teams can score very quickly. I noticed a fair few goals where we were exiting their F50 and lost the ball on the wing or maybe a little closer to goal - that is a disaster which is very hard to defend. With the fast ball movement which benefits from the rule changes, teams can find space and even an outnumber forward. Our defence needs to lift and I think we are one tall down in defence, but quick ball movement, especially after a turnover when the whole team is streaming forward, is damned near impossible to defend. We certainly need to find a way to limit the damage when the opposition gets a run on though, this is critical to being competitive at the end of the year, you know you will face good teams who will get a run on at times, the point is to limit the damage.

When we turned it on it was amazing how quickly we could score. Same applies to opposition defence really, once we turned it on the scoring was very quick. We looked like we were standing still for a while there, and then Essendon looked like they were standing still.

Funny game the SHocking version of Aussie Rules, I reckon every team is madly trying to work out how to stem the flow when the opposition get on top.

Umpiring was not bad. A couple of very soft in the back frees where I reckon the Essendon players took a nice dive, olympics are calling for some players. The umpires really need to be able to judge these better. Lot of talk earlier in the thread about Richo's commentary on that one with Grimes, "you have to dispose of the ball legally", yeah, no actually. You have to attempt to dispose of the ball legally if you have no prior opportunity. Someone send Richo the rule book, actually I'm sure he has a lot of people pointing this one out to him.

The surface at Perth Stadium is certainly an issue. Very slippery in such a dry place. It wasn't just dew or whatever either, looked like the grass and soil was offering very little purchase for players on both sides. They showed a close up of the grass at one point and it looked like it needed a mow. Not sure what the issue is but there is something wrong when that many players slip and slide unless it is raining.

Chol had a solid game, figure he was taking a break in the 3rd and early 4th quarters. Can he build a big enough tank to play ruck? No idea. As a ruck I reckon CJ makes a good forward, far prefer him forward, he needs to build some more strength but doing a good job. Nice to see Castagna more often, barely seen him for weeks, hopefully his role is changing because what he has been doing for a month has been not much. Grimes and Vlastuin do still look out of sorts, part of this would be playing in a back line which really needs another tall, but hopefully the bye will be a helpful break for both of them. Pickett was fine, yes he can be scrappy with disposals, but he appears everywhere and does a tonne of work . . . just don't use him as a ruck, not his fault, he just can't compete against rucks who are a foot taller than he is.

8 point game given our ladder positions, another 8 point game next week, let's hope we can bring our best, get a good win and take a break for a couple of weeks.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

jackfrost

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
They would have had to clean up Lewis and Johnson’s spunk off the cameras 10 minutes into the last quarter. I don’t think they love Essendon that much; they just so badly wanted us to lose.
Now there's a bloke I just cannot stand, turn the Telly or radio off immediately I hear his voice ............. Brad Johnson ! Have never seen a bloke fake laugh more often in my *smiling" life than this clown, can't even finish a sentence without laughing/schoolgirl-giggle about something that has NO humour in it whatsoever, guys a total "smiling" wank job and an embarrassment to anyone that hires him.

Last edited:

jackfrost

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
Ess are not a poor team. They are not premiership material but they have an array of classy runners and heaps of enthusiasm. Rutten is slowly executing a gameplan. You can see it. Stil have some holes to fill especially down back. Will trouble a few sides this year. Having said that, we are not at our best. We had them at arms length all night, then they came very hard. We had to steady, did that, and brushed them aside. It was pretty awesome I thought.
Yep, sums it up nicely.

jackfrost

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
Jack why don't you run a continuous feed through the gane to enlighten all punt road Enders n real time? That would have 100 times more credibility than post match critique of others posts.
Look out, always a Debbie Downer in the group............... whats wrong with a little light-heartedness #22 ? No sense of humour Mate .... thats sad for you.

Did you not see the part that said HAD to watch on delay tonight ? :rolleyes:

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Whatever, you sound like a clown who should spend their time at Bigfooty with the other children.
It's annoying and probably trolling but every time I go to call it out, I stop and think perhaps dimmauchamp might actually be that negative about everything and I shouldn't exacerbate it.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Deserves the benefit of OUR doubt ....... no doubt his mind is elsewhere, just think back a week to his hardness at the knacker and you'll soon forget this week's performance, he'll be there when needed the most.
Just think his time is close. Would never doubt his commitment but against the quicker teams I see a noticeable drop off, particularly in his disposal decisions due to being rushed.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
It was inexplicable. They paid them in this afternoon's game, they started out paying them in this game. Then nothing.

Still thought we got the rub of the green for a second week running. Not paying a lot of frees to us, but paying less to the oppo.
How much difference does it make to get the rub of the green every now and then? If umps dished out some of the rubbish they have in games over the years we probably lose last night.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
When your disposal efficiency is 76% but your method is also 76% by handball, and then two of your lowly amount of kicks (at least -might have been all of them) were ineffective otherwise, then the fact is you’ve been ordinary where disposal is concerned. The terrible scrubber kick under no pressure in the first quarter ? The shocker in the last ? He fumbled a lot as well.

Whilst I like Marlion, he had a pretty ordinary game tonight. His rating was bottom quartile if you subscribe to that (probably not, I don’t.)

Suggesting he had a good game is a big stretch for mine and I’m not judging that on his ruck work either. His general game performance was certainly nothing special.
Well ordinary game is a step up from terrible. You're view is progressing. Again you said he butchered the ball alot. Fact is he didn't at 76% efficiency. Rating if you subscribe to that was 12th for the Tigers by SC score. I don't generally. I didn't see him fumble a lot, will check again when I watch the replay. Have been a critic of Pickett at times, particularly around his disposal, but last night he made some really good decisions under the pump imo of course.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I know there's a few saying our backline played poorly but I thought overall they did really well. Thought Tippa, Zaharakis and Stringer were ineffectual. Hooker was better but benefitted from some quick ball movement leaving backline exposed.

Reactions: 3 users

Batchelor Party

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2011
USA
I know there's a few saying our backline played poorly but I thought overall they did really well. Thought Tippa, Zaharakis and Stringer were ineffectual. Hooker was better but benefitted from some quick ball movement leaving backline exposed.
Hooker did okay; Balta was one of our best with that last quarter goal being the icing on the cake.