GAME DAY Tigers V Bombers Dreamtime | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

GAME DAY Tigers V Bombers Dreamtime

Berwick boy

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2004
Getting a little to cutsey with kicks occasionally and not doing the 1%ers as well, plus there has to be some complacency after the run we've been on the last 4 years you'd have to think.

Our continuance of handballing to team mates in worse postions is wearing very very thin on me and if I see Shorty or Bachar take a kickout from a point again and kick the ball a foot outside the Square, I'll deadset Spew Up. Why is it that every other team takes the 40 yd advantage (without a single bounce most times) these new rules have allowed, yet we tend to want to take 4 kicks of 14 yds to get the same distance ?............. infuriating stuff ! :mad:
100% agree...does my head in.

Reactions: 1 users
Feb 25, 2007
Really surprised how pro Essendon the crowd was, thought it would have been the other way around

It would've been the other way around if it was just tiger supporters and bombers supporters but It wasn't, it was bombers, eagles and Freo supporters barracking agsinst us. Surely people know that the majority at the ground were neutrals, No way eagles would support us as they needed us to lose plus we are the champs, they all love the underdog and wanted to see an upset.

But ill tell you in the last qtr when Bolton kicked those 2 goals, it was damn loud, as loud as any of the bombers goals.

Reactions: 7 users
Feb 25, 2007
Nah I’m not surprised. I read somewhere Essendon has a big following in Perth; probably it’s biggest support base outside of Victoria. Sheedy did a power of work growing the Essendon brand nationally in the 80s.

I reckon we have arguably the biggest supporter base in Victoria but we’re probably behind Bombers and Scumwood nationally.

We have 3,600 members in Perth, Ess have 3K.
We have 3.5K in QLD, Ess have 2K

I agree in Vic we are the biggest, nationally who really knows.

Last night the bombers were the home team but geez the extra support they had was due to all the nuetrals jumping on board, it was ess, eagles and freo as one, barracking against Richmond.

A poster from BF said this;

I went to this match last night.
My first since 2017 when we belted the Dockers on our way to premiership glory.
About half the crowd were Tigers and Bummers fans, and a lot of the neutrals were going for Essendon.
I got a question. Do all oppo supporters at games hate Dusty with great passion?
The salt last night in the crowd from Essendon flogs was delicious!!

2020 QLD membership figures for the 8 finals teams.

AFL QLD MEMBERSHIP 2 .jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I got a question. Do all oppo supporters at games hate Dusty with great passion?
You could hear the extra noise on TV when he was tackled, calling for holding the ball. (At one stage they had a case as Dusty was spun 720 before disposing.)

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
From what I saw at Optus, there were more Tigers supporters there than Bombers. Media beat-up for mine that the Bombers had more support, even amongst the neutrals.

Some observations (FWIW):

1. Wanted to buy my daughter a nice memento of her first Tigers game. Got a footy record, nothing else. No Tiger merchandise available. Bloke at the merchandise shop (neutral, large corporate with no affiliation to either side) told me that the short lead up to the game basically stopped them getting in enough gear for either team. But, I still could have got a Bombers Dreamtime jumper at the ground, and plenty of hats, scarves and normal jumpers. Nothin Tigers except for about 5 caps. Bloke at the merchandise shop said they basically sold out of Tigers gear an hour before the game started despite sourcing more gear locally as the Tigers are the reigning premiers and the AFL shops had more Tigers gear available.

2. There were heaps more kids wearing Tigers gear at the game than young Bombers. Heaps, like about 4 to 1. The Bomber crowd tended to be much older. Lots more families of Tigers supporters as well. Bombers fans tended to be in small groups of adults.

3. The loudest single roar of the night was when the Bombers hit the front in the last qtr. Fair enough too as it made for a great finish, but I reckon 40% of that noise was Tigers fans going spastic that we had coughed up a match winning lead.

4. Bombers fans tended to jeer our players when they made a mistake. There was one bit of play that I remember clearly, where Cotch missed a target 15m away and turned the ball over. The Essendon fans went right off about it like they had just won a flag. The Tigers fans on the other hand waited expectantly when the Bombers turned it over and didn't cheer until we scored from the turnover. Given that we scored over 100 points on the night from Bombers turnovers, we sort of all got used to be refrained until we had something to really cheer about.

Reactions: 15 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
From what I saw at Optus, there were more Tigers supporters there than Bombers. Media beat-up for mine that the Bombers had more support, even amongst the neutrals.

Some observations (FWIW):

1. Wanted to buy my daughter a nice memento of her first Tigers game. Got a footy record, nothing else. No Tiger merchandise available. Bloke at the merchandise shop (neutral, large corporate with no affiliation to either side) told me that the short lead up to the game basically stopped them getting in enough gear for either team. But, I still could have got a Bombers Dreamtime jumper at the ground, and plenty of hats, scarves and normal jumpers. Nothin Tigers except for about 5 caps. Bloke at the merchandise shop said they basically sold out of Tigers gear an hour before the game started despite sourcing more gear locally as the Tigers are the reigning premiers and the AFL shops had more Tigers gear available.

2. There were heaps more kids wearing Tigers gear at the game than young Bombers. Heaps, like about 4 to 1. The Bomber crowd tended to be much older. Lots more families of Tigers supporters as well. Bombers fans tended to be in small groups of adults.

3. The loudest single roar of the night was when the Bombers hit the front in the last qtr. Fair enough too as it made for a great finish, but I reckon 40% of that noise was Tigers fans going spastic that we had coughed up a match winning lead.

4. Bombers fans tended to jeer our players when they made a mistake. There was one bit of play that I remember clearly, where Cotch missed a target 15m away and turned the ball over. The Essendon fans went right off about it like they had just won a flag. The Tigers fans on the other hand waited expectantly when the Bombers turned it over and didn't cheer until we scored from the turnover. Given that we scored over 100 points on the night from Bombers turnovers, we sort of all got used to be refrained until we had something to really cheer about.
Great post, Streak, worth staying up late over here in Melbourne-town. I think that just about settles it conclusively. Tigers win - on and off the field!!!
:banana

Reactions: 1 user

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003

Last night the bombers were the home team but geez the extra support they had was due to all the nuetrals jumping on board, it was ess, eagles and freo as one, barracking against Richmond.

About half the crowd were Tigers and Bummers fans, and a lot of the neutrals were going for Essendon.

View attachment 12535
Good info thanks Astute.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Im a bit puzzled by the last quarter, and Dimmas comments about it.

he said 'I didnt prepare them at 3/4 time for bombers surging in the last quarter'

players aren't so stupid and robotic that they cant work out a side 20 points down at 3/4 time, is gonna have a crack?

WTF?

I thought if Hardwick was going to admit some error, he'd have said

'I put Marlion Pickett into the ruck at a time when the opposition was surging and hit the front. probably the most critical juncture of the 100 minutes, I had a couple of 2 metre, 100kg blokes sitting around, and swung a 182/80 bloke into the most important position n the ground, at a time when that position is the most important'

what am I missing?

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007

he said 'I didnt prepare them at 3/4 time for bombers surging in the last quarter'

players aren't so stupid and robotic that they cant work out a side 20 points down at 3/4 time, is gonna have a crack?

WTF?

'I put Marlion Pickett into the ruck at a time when the opposition was surging and hit the front. probably the most critical juncture of the 100 minutes, I had a couple of 2 metre, 100kg blokes sitting around, and swung a 182/80 bloke into the most important position n the ground, at a time when that position is the most important'

what am I missing?
Perhaps Dimma was doing it for his own amusement. Spoke to some pretty disillusioned bombers fans yesterday.

It was a bit like the tigers in the 00's. Big game against a contender, lots of heart and supporter build-up, only for the opposition to start taking the game seriously and blow us away.

• Love

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015

WTF?

what am I missing?
All part of the plan....!

• Haha

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Apparently Essendon did well being without Shiel, Caldwell and McGrath for a majority of the game.

Nank. Astbury. Lambert. Lynch.
They had Devon Smith out as well, Hurley also but he is just about gone imo. Caldwell is like saying we were missing Jack Ross, he hasn't really done anything yet

We had a few back in but were short of a run, especially Cotchin and Edwards, but they did ok for first up.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
You could hear the extra noise on TV when he was tackled, calling for holding the ball. (At one stage they had a case as Dusty was spun 720 before disposing.)
It's the new rule called the 1080 ( not just for Dusty)

It seems that a player can be spun around at least twice now with no penalty and the players know it

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne

View attachment 12535
I think I heard pavlich say during the telecast that there were more tigers supporters there than bummers ones but the noise was louder for the bummers because there were a few neutrals there supporting them and that was due to the talk poppy syndrome

Reactions: 2 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
i thought the commentators were way off when they said it was a closer game than 39 points. beside the little flurry at the start of the last week controlled the game with ease, and i reckon we gave the bombers about 15 of their 12 goals with stupid mistakes- mistakes we wont make in September.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

WTF?

what am I missing?

What you are missing is that Dimma uses most pressers as his acting improv class

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
i thought the commentators were way off when they said it was a closer game than 39 points. beside the little flurry at the start of the last week controlled the game with ease, and i reckon we gave the bombers about 15 of their 12 goals with stupid mistakes- mistakes we wont make in September.

I thought they beat us in the midfield with good run and spread for parts of the game. We still haven't quite got the defensive side of our game running at 100% yet - maybe a consequence of the new rules.

In some ways this game turned into the shoot-out that some were predicting against Adelaide.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Yeah, not the position you wanna be in halfway through the last, but what I liked was our lack of panic, finger pointing and overall stress. Focused on what was needed and went back to work. Sort of scary if we did it for longer than 10 minutes more consistently.:)