Game day Tigers V Geesook | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game day Tigers V Geesook

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
That’s probably right Burnside. And to that end, it’s been crossing my mind that we should, or would be better off, having it all end next week rather than dragging this MASH unit on any longer.
Be a great opportunity for a few of the Cubs if it falls that way, though i reckon will beat the Dockers

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
We are worst field kicks in the league
Disagree. Have watched a few games and teams like Carlton are atrocious. I'd say we're middle of the road, maybe slightly lower. But that was the genious of our premiership era, we recruited specific players who were not necessarily the best disposers of the ball. Biting us a bit now with our game plan made defunct with rule changes and counter gameplans in play.

Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
It is tough to watch, but there have been signs that speed and pressure are still their kryptonite. We just don't have the cattle right now.
Yeh we showed flashes but we need the full compliment to execute consistently.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Things are never as bad as they seem.

But I agree our small forwards are looking awful.

Maybe throw in Caddy and MRJ for a bit of class down there, forward pressure be damned.

Anything is better than the rubbish system we have going up forward.

Last edited:

tiger76

Tiger Superstar
Mar 26, 2014
Yeah I'm not sure about this. The core of our team is now getting quite old and a few have dropped off markedly. Cotchin is massively struggling. Edwards is struggling and can't get on the park. The difference between the best and worst of Jack R is a gulf; one good game in last 6. Vlastuin is having major injury issues. Grimes is doing okay but can't do it on his own and is wrong side of 30. Prestia can't stay on the park. Astbury looks gone as does Houli. Lynch can't get near it and seems to have substantial injury issues. The absolute stars and champions of this team, our flag winning heroes are past their zenith.

I'm not convinced we can get back next year. I think we should have a firm eye on the medium term future. Hit the draft hard and get some ball winning mids who are good users and some good KP talent. We need to make sure we are competing on a regular basis; we can not drop off completely.
Sobering post.

Only 5 games ago I was sure that next year when everyone is back fit and healthy, combined with an injection of some new that we would be in with a real shot.

However In reality we can’t just assume that all of the talent that we have come to rely upon will stay fit and healthy for a whole season, or will be able to produce what we have become used to receiving from them.

My conviction is turning into fear and hope.

crackertiger

Swan street 2017
Jan 4, 2003
melbourne
It's hard not to agree with these sombre posts but a senior players are just not standing up. Then we have fringe forwards doing nothing. Look to the draft now I think..

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
It’ll also take a change in coaching mindset - firstly placing a premium on rucks, clearances (centre & stoppages) and contested ball. That’ll also need at least two more quality midfielders.

acatman1

Tiger Superstar
Sep 18, 2016
I was really hoping we picked Caddy to do exactly that - just tag Stewart and be a viable option at the same time. Surely Caddy against his old club would have played out of his skin.
Trouble is Caddy would not be in the same postcode as Stewart

Reactions: 2 users

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
We cannot have a competitive forward line while we persist with Castagna and Aarts. I've posted this every round since round 1, and it remains true.

How many of Aarts' goals have been joe the gooses in the goal square? All? He is a cancer on our forward line. Makes everyone take stupid options, is the ultimate cherry picker, doesn't apply any defensive pressure, can't hit up a team mate to save himself, and lets an opponent play completely unaccountably. Add that to George, and the fact that we often play one short forward anyway, and we're actually playing 3 short.

No wonder we look awful going in. It's bomb it to a 3 on one or bust.

It's deplorable. I'm really concerned that the loss of Rutten, Caracella, Leppitsch and McCrae might have hurt us more than we think.

Couldn't possibly disagree more on Aarts. He has been pretty bad the last couple of weeks but was a very effective small forward this year and was the only forward providing genuine defensive pressure in the F50 in a lot of games. Strange how you knocked George then in the next sentence mentioned the real issue, bombing it forward. (Which incidentally was exactly what Caddy was doing when he did get a guernsey). That seems to have been an instruction. I've been concerned about Lynch all year, which is to say since before his injury break. He is barely able to move after the 1st quarter. Clearly took the bit between his teeth after half time but just couldn't get there. I can't figure out why he is playing at all. He's a liability. Don't get me wrong, he's a beast and a competitor. But he can't move once the injection wears off (no inside info, just what it looks like).

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
It wasn’t pretty and some of the stuff I witnessed was inexcusable. However the reality is take the ‘equivalent’ out of any side and see how they fair. Take today for example:

* Soldo - Stanley?
* Vlastuin - Stewart
* Balta - Henderson
* Broad - Kolodjashnij
* Prestia - Guthrie
* McIntosh - Smith
* Martin - Dangerfield

And that’s being overly kind on some of these cats players!!

I think some perspective needs to come into it. In saying that, the club will need to use this year as a chance to cut back and make some calls on players. Personally I think this last month should be used to see if guys like Miller, Martyn, Cumberland etc have the ability to make the grade.

Go grab a ready made midfielder from another club and go hard at the draft and stockpile the kids so we can build a side with players like Bolton, Balta and the like.

Injuries barring, next year is our last genuine crack at it with this group I think.

Perfectly elucidated 8Ball. Someone else in this thread said "chaos ball is dead". The above is why. Not the rule changes. Chaos ball happens when the ball is in dispute, keeping it moving is not affected by "Stand!". It's affected by our ability to score from defence through sustained pressure and follow-up running across the ground. This year's patched-together band of rag-tag Tigers can't possibly manage that with the aplomb of those listed above.

Reactions: 1 users

silvertiger

Tiger Rookie
Aug 28, 2014
Likes: Rioli - it takes years to train a run and carry half back with kicking skills - we have one after 3 games! :clap2
Mansell - just gets better game by game...will become more daring like Rioli when he has more confidence. Lock down defender with pace to link and rebound with Rioli.
Parker - wow - just has a crack in the contest and his kicking improved today on the reserves. Has run and carry and his strong in the contest. Keep playing based on merit.
Jack Ross - kept running and ball use was pretty good. Continues to learn and grow given more exposure.
Stack - he took his eyes of the ball a couple of times - this is not a lack of courage - just training. He stays no matter who comes back. Decision making is quicker and skills better than most on a defensive list. (if he replaced Cotchin in the guts he would impact more than Cotchin because he sees ball gets ball and is young and quick on his feet)
Garthwaite - he did really well. Admire his tenacity. With the expectation that Astbury retires I think he stays given Balta is coming back.

Dislikes: Cotchin - just does not impact and has lost any instinctive play because he is slow. Needs to retire. Playing Cotch is robbing RCD of valuable experience.
Castagna - adds nothing to the team. Needs to be dropped.
Aarts - see Castagna.

Reactions: 2 users

silvertiger

Tiger Rookie
Aug 28, 2014
njuries barring, next year is our last genuine crack at it with this group I think.
Disagree, the core list demographic is not old. Unlike Geelong, our list is growing.....not dyeing. Bolton, Balta, Baker, Stack, Graham, Nank, Soldo, Riolis X 2!, RCD, Dow, CJ & Ralph Smith.

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
No one lacked endeavour but that second quarter was horrible with the frees kicks putting us to the sword. Everyone is writing us off but run home is promising if we can get the boiler house injuries back in.