Game day Tigers V Geesook | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game day Tigers V Geesook

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
All four misses should have been goals except maybe bakers.
All including Baker's - straight in front, easily made the distance. Absolutely third rate efforts. There's 7m between the posts and players cannot find that space from uncontested open running shots or even closer set-shots. It's just slack, lazy and unprofessional.

JR8's the worst. Why does he not get well back off the mark, use a good run-up not a couple of steps, kick right through it. He knows this.

Destroyed any hope of making a run at them and applying pressure. Then, of course, allowed easy 2 goal turnarounds. Just pathetic really.

Reactions: 1 user

Bill Haverchuck

Tiger Superstar
Jun 27, 2011
So despite having 7 best 22 players out only 3 young players worth getting a game..
Not sure if that says more about Dimmas conservative approach or the quality of our young players but either way its a massive concern...

Reactions: 2 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Actually thought we played well today - our pressure and intensity was very good. Geelong are very good at riding through tackles with their big bodies and we can't usually match them in this area. However we could wear them down with relentless pressure and running. But not anymore. The new standing rule really suits them as it allows them to maintain possession and relieve some of the pressure we apply. In last yrs gf they were winning ground contests early but our pressure and intensity wore them down - they couldn't maintain possession like they can now. They can thank their CEO Shocking for that.

Anyway, reckon we would have beaten most teams today and with some players returning we'll only get better. Need to maintain the effort and intensity and need to maintain the faith.

Reactions: 3 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Holy *smile*... literally ran to the 50 unimpeded from that kick in. These rules are shocking.
No our defensive structures in the FL are. Other clubs don't allow it; even Godeez who often have K.Pickett guarding the defender only gets their 20m. He puts fear into them. We are a vacant space. Isn't that a role Aarts or Castagna could do at least!!

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
No our defensive structures in the FL are. Other clubs don't allow it; even Godeez who often have K.Pickett guarding the defender only gets their 20m. He puts fear into them. We are a vacant space. Isn't that a role Aarts or Castagna could do at least!!

Tend to agree we don't defend this well enough, but allowing players to run well over 20 metres without a bounce, when the rule is 15 metres, is bloody ridiculous.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Almost like we dared them to run from the last line in the hope it would throw their structures out.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Actually thought we played well today - our pressure and intensity was very good. Geelong are very good at riding through tackles with their big bodies and we can't usually match them in this area. However we could wear them down with relentless pressure and running. But not anymore. The new standing rule really suits them as it allows them to maintain possession and relieve some of the pressure we apply. In last yrs gf they were winning ground contests early but our pressure and intensity wore them down - they couldn't maintain possession like they can now. They can thank their CEO Shocking for that.

Anyway, reckon we would have beaten most teams today and with some players returning we'll only get better. Need to maintain the effort and intensity and need to maintain the faith.
I agree. we were beaten easy, but really it was what was to be expected with our outs.
besides the 2nd quarter we almost matched them and our effort was for the most part there, but it was just to big a task missing the best player in the league, 2 of our best 3 backs, and our No1 mid, with Edwards and Lambert ineffectual as well.

something does need to change up front though. so often you see our 6 at a CB- Jack, Lynch (good so far), Chol (still ok), Castagna, Aarts and Graham. If we are flying allover the ground and piling on the pressure we can still kick enough goals, but if we arent dominating the I50 numbers we wont, unless Jack or Lynch have a day out, which isnt often at the moment (in part because other defenders know they can play off their man if one of them does look dangerous).

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
I agree. we were beaten easy, but really it was what was to be expected with our outs.
besides the 2nd quarter we almost matched them and our effort was for the most part there, but it was just to big a task missing the best player in the league, 2 of our best 3 backs, and our No1 mid, with Edwards and Lambert ineffectual as well.

something does need to change up front though. so often you see our 6 at a CB- Jack, Lynch (good so far), Chol (still ok), Castagna, Aarts and Graham. If we are flying allover the ground and piling on the pressure we can still kick enough goals, but if we arent dominating the I50 numbers we wont, unless Jack or Lynch have a day out, which isnt often at the moment (in part because other defenders know they can play off their man if one of them does look dangerous).

Concur. 2nd quarter anyone got the free kick count for that quarter as I feel it was a bit lopsided.

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014

I can't understand why they all fly together in packs of more than 4 including tigers plus opposition? At times when Aarts etc. are crumbing they stand too close to the pack so the ball is punched over their head. Haven't our forwards heard of leading up or are our current mids incapable of hitting targets so they don't bother?

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003

The problem is Harry we are getting smashed at clearances and contested ball so we just give the ball up to our opponents to easily and can't win it back like we used to. And on the occasions we do get the ball we absolutely murder it. We've got some serious butchers in our team and that doesn't cut it now. Not just kicking either; how many of our handballs go below the knees of the target?? Castagna is the worst; terrible technique. We are also fumbling a lot and dropping easy marks.

The final margin flattered us yesterday; we got smashed.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
In our good wins (WB and Bris) we were accurate. Killed any chance of scoreboard pressure with our poor goal kicking yesterday screwing up relatively easy shots at goal.

WCE had a freak goal kicking night against us even by their standards and may prove to be the one that costs us Along with George’s fresh air against Port.

our absolute domination of teams in last four years has masked our poor goal kicking and generally in the bright lights of September / October it hasn’t reared up to cost us And we’ve been pretty solid. E.g. Adelaide gf we had Towner and graham Kick straight.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
In our good wins (WB and Bris) we were accurate. Killed any chance of scoreboard pressure with our poor goal kicking yesterday screwing up relatively easy shots at goal.

WCE had a freak goal kicking night against us even by their standards and may prove to be the one that costs us Along with George’s fresh air against Port.

our absolute domination of teams in last four years has masked our poor goal kicking and generally in the bright lights of September / October it hasn’t reared up to cost us And we’ve been pretty solid. E.g. Adelaide gf we had Towner and graham Kick straight.
kicking hasn't been high on our recruiting pre-requisites. we've targeted specific players that can run and apply pressure and built a dynasty from this. It's been taken away from us with specific rule changes aimed at the way we play.

It's a *smile* rort

You can't now expect our players to kick the ball like Darren Jarman when they were recruited with other strengths in mind.

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Tend to agree we don't defend this well enough, but allowing players to run well over 20 metres without a bounce, when the rule is 15 metres, is bloody ridiculous.

DS
Very true - but I was still annoyed that we allowed Geelong to bring the ball out so easily, when at the other end, it's always a dump kick to a pack at half-back or a short kick to the back pocket and then a dump kick to half back. Our kick-in strategy has to change for 2022. Be bolder and more offensive.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
kicking hasn't been high on our recruiting pre-requisites. we've targeted specific players that can run and apply pressure and built a dynasty from this. It's been taken away from us with specific rule changes aimed at the way we play.

It's a *smile* rort

You can't now expect our players to kick the ball like Darren Jarman when they were recruited with other strengths in mind.
I think we also need to recruit players that are better overhead marks.

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004

It's a *smile* rort

Some of the kids in my sons under 12's team hit targets under pressure , I would have thought if you are good enough to be selected for AFL you should be able to kick to a pretty high standard still.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I've lost count of how many games we've lost on the wide open spaces of the MCG this year now.
What used to be our fortress has become our handicap & I'm sure we all know why that is.:mad:

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Maybe not but we certainly shouldn't expect that they kick like James Manson or Sam Frost. Our kicking and handballing skills are horrible for an AFL team.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Some of the kids in my sons under 12's team hit targets under pressure , I would have thought if you are good enough to be selected for AFL you should be able to kick to a pretty high standard still.
so you're saying we won 3 flags in 4 years with players that can't kick to U12 standards?

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
I've lost count of how many games we've lost on the wide open spaces of the MCG this year now.
What used to be our fortress has become our handicap & I'm sure we all know why that is.:mad:
correct. The G is the worst ground for us atm. The stand rule makes it much easier to find targets and open us up on the wide MCG. Would rather play at Marvel.