Game day Tigers V Geesook | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game day Tigers V Geesook

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
so you're saying we won 3 flags in 4 years with players that can't kick to U12 standards?
Wasn't it yourself implying that we haven't targeted players who can kick as their main strength ?

I was more stating that if you are selected to play AFL that you should be able to kick to a pretty high standard.

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
correct. The G is the worst ground for us atm. The stand rule makes it much easier to find targets and open us up on the wide MCG. Would rather play at Marvel.
I'm not sure that its the stand rule that makes that much difference as much as other teams refusing to kick long to contests against us. Collingwood won the 2018 Prelim and the first meeting between us in 2019 by playing keepings off and switching play. Almost all clubs plan to do that against us now.

Combine that with how poor we are at centre clearance and stoppage (including locking down on opposition ball winners) and we now get a wave of ball moving into our defensive 50. Two things stood out for me from yesterday's game - when we created pressure (albeit inconsistently), we caused turnover and could move the ball. Secondly we looked far better in the second half when we went one on one and played a more contested game. That has to be the blueprint moving forward - allowing opposition spares behind the ball kills us both ways.

Reactions: 3 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
I've lost count of how many games we've lost on the wide open spaces of the MCG this year now.
What used to be our fortress has become our handicap & I'm sure we all know why that is.:mad:
At the G this year we are 3 wins 6 losses with a percentage of 78%. Can we ask to play our home games at Marvel?

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Wasn't it yourself implying that we haven't targeted players who can kick as their main strength ?

I was more stating that if you are selected to play AFL that you should be able to kick to a pretty high standard.
yeah for alot of our guys kicking isn't elite but it's not U12 standard as you stated. So how do players win 3 flags if kicking isn't up to AFL standard?

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Geelong flooded our forward line and it didn't help with our long bomb kicks.
When it went up to Geelongs forward line it was wide open spaces.
I thought we just moved the ball too slowly which help Geelong get back and flood.

Reactions: 1 users

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
yeah for alot of our guys kicking isn't elite but it's not U12 standard as you stated. So how do players win 3 flags if kicking isn't up to AFL standard?
I didn't say it was under 12's standard. I never mentioned our side at all.

I more meant if kids can hit targets in under 12's , then guys at AFL elite level should have good kicking skills.

It was more in reference to you saying we haven't targeted decent kicks. Everyone in the AFL should be a decent kick, you shouldn't be on an AFL list if you aren't .

Reactions: 1 user

RUNVS

Tiger Superstar
Aug 10, 2008
The problem is Harry we are getting smashed at clearances and contested ball so we just give the ball up to our opponents to easily and can't win it back like we used to. And on the occasions we do get the ball we absolutely murder it. We've got some serious butchers in our team and that doesn't cut it now. Not just kicking either; how many of our handballs go below the knees of the target?? Castagna is the worst; terrible technique. We are also fumbling a lot and dropping easy marks.

The final margin flattered us yesterday; we got smashed.
We just can't get any centre ball clearances.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I'm not sure that its the stand rule that makes that much difference as much as other teams refusing to kick long to contests against us. Collingwood won the 2018 Prelim and the first meeting between us in 2019 by playing keepings off and switching play. Almost all clubs plan to do that against us now.
teams tried to do that last year and in 2019. sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.

we are currently missing 3 of our top 4 intercept players. that makes a huge difference to trying to win the ball back.

Reactions: 1 user

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
How good was it when the commentators dropped out during the telecast. I didn’t even notice for 30 odd seconds.

Reactions: 2 users