Game Day - Tigers v Roos | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Tigers v Roos

Rabbia

Tiger Cub
Aug 18, 2015
easy said:
Good post rabia.

I agree with all of it except the question on $hais decision making. And i understand its only a speculation rather than a question

Oh look I'd defer to your judgement on that one, certainly. I haven't seen enough, close up, to know I guess.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Baron Samedi said:
Here is where your logic falls over Coburg:

Leon posited that we are not a skilful team.

I maintain that we are a skilful team, and have been since 2017. It is our defence first system that often paints us in a scrappy light.

You say that since we are missing half of our premiership team, we must therefore be less skilful. Forgive me if you are not saying this. If that’s the case, your argument over “premiership team” semantics is a little pedantic.

But if you ARE suggesting we are currently “unskilled”, then I would throw these new names at you:

Stack
Higgins
Balta
Baker
Bolton

All of these players are highly skilled and would regularly hit passes and hand balls.

To say we are not skilful is ridiculous.

Young? Yes.

Missing our key position champions at the minute? Yes.

To clarify, I don't think a lack of skill is the issue.

But a lack of champions might be.

Rance and Jack, more than anything, are champions. Winners. Head strong warriors who refuse to lose.

You're attributing our lack of scores from inside fifities to tactics, Leon attributed it to skill. I reckon it's the fact that we haven't got our 8 time club leader for goal kicking triple Coleman medallist out there. Who not only converts when he should, but can also turn a scrappy shallow entry into a goal for either himself or the little folk.

In addition, we normally have a bloke in the backline who can repel the unrepelable. He can take a guaranteed opposition goal and turn it into a chance for us to run down the field with it. How often would Rancey turn the entire opposition run on its head, and give us the chance at an on the counter re entry into our forward line for a simple goal? That's gold. Gold.

As skilful as Stack is, he hasn't yet got the Ranceness to do that. Yet.

If it were up to me, I'd be training Balta for it, because he's got that Rance/Jack confidence that leads to eventual indefatigability.

Nank's got a bit of it too.

Thing is, if you wanna win a premiership, you either need to get lucky and play well at the right time (Bulldogs 2016). Or you need a critical mass of Champions that make sure you can still win when you're not (Richmond 2017 to 2018).

We're skilful. But young. And don't yet believe. And that can masquerade as a lack of skill.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
leon said:
Let's face it - better ruck/midfield and forward line.
Bit harsh there Leon, or is this comment only directed at our fri night team?

With the major injury issues topped up by minor injury issues n stupid suspensions, I'm bloody amazed we're still ahead of the win loss ledger.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
TigerMasochist said:
Bit harsh there Leon, or is this comment only directed at our fri night team?

With the major injury issues topped up by minor injury issues n stupid suspensions, I'm bloody amazed we're still ahead of the win loss ledger.

They can play Selwood on a wing now because they have topped up Danger, Duncan (in career-best form it's claimed), Guthrie and Ablett with Tim Kelly (now indisputably one of the best going around) and Dalhaus . Stanley has also been quite good this year but must be out injured. Smith was OK for them instead but hope he's still in to play on Soldo because Stanley would leave him for dead.

CScott would never admit to imitating us although he actually acknowledged how we have been the best team over last 3 years. But he certainly has revised his FL to resemble ours with fast, hard-tackling SFs like Dalhaus (mid/SF), Atkins, Miers and Parfitt (mid/SF). He cut a high-skill goal-kicking but poor pressure player like Menzel. Rohan is another X-factor. Got his knockers but I've always struggled to see what's not to like: tall, very quick, big leap and strong mark, chases and tackles hard, kick like a mule.

They've also regenerated his backline onto the AFL's best - I could go into similar details - but just check the stats.

We have been remarkable with our horrible injuries. But at the moment, with the team we can put on the park, the evidence is that what I claim is fairly supportable. Think the Moggies handled the Pies, Dogs and Norf adequately. Unlike us.

PS - Will reply to BS later. Need more time, sorry, work pressure is full-on atm.

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
leon said:
They can play Selwood on a wing now because they have topped up Danger, Duncan (in career-best form it's claimed), Guthrie and Ablett with Tim Kelly (now indisputably one of the best going around) and Dalhaus . Stanley has also been quite good this year but must be out injured. Smith was OK for them instead but hope he's still in to play on Soldo because Stanley would leave him for dead.

CScott would never admit to imitating us although he actually acknowledged how we have been the best team over last 3 years. But he certainly has revised his FL to resemble ours with fast, hard-tackling SFs like Dalhaus (mid/SF), Atkins, Miers and Parfitt (mid/SF). He cut a high-skill goal-kicking but poor pressure player like Menzel. Rohan is another X-factor. Got his knockers but I've always struggled to see what's not to like: tall, very quick, big leap and strong mark, chases and tackles hard, kick like a mule.

They've also regenerated his backline onto the AFL's best - I could go into similar details - but just check the stats.

We have been remarkable with our horrible injuries. But at the moment, with the team we can put on the park, the evidence is that what I claim is fairly supportable. Think the Moggies handled the Pies, Dogs and Norf adequately. Unlike us.

PS - Will reply to BS later. Need more time, sorry, work pressure is full-on atm.

You can’t really compare other results. Collingwood failed to beat Freo here, we beat them over there. And so on. One thing we know is that Collingwood can beat us.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Baron Samedi said:
You can’t really compare other results. Collingwood failed to beat Freo here, we beat them over there. And so on. One thing we know is that Collingwood can beat us.

Well re your first point, the very idea of the competition is to compare results. What else is the aggregate ladder for, which determines who gets to play finals and finishes where.

There is always variation in results, especially these days where teams are much closer for several reasons. A prior win does not guarantee the next encounter will be the same result. However, I was replying to TM who queried my assertion that the Moggies look to be a superior team to us in all areas. On the evidence available in '19, I'm arguing that's quite demonstrable.

I have a feeling the Chokers will fail again this year. My intuition is being supported atm. Firstly, I was really hoping the injury demon was finally finished with us and keen to move across the road and wreak some havoc at the Holden Centre or whatever it's called now. Might be happening too, with DeGoey and Cox struggling and now Beams out long-term. My other sense re them is that they're an older team with a tougher draw in '19. Are there signs that it's all starting to catch up with them? They've just got over the line in recent games, usually with a lot of help from their mates in green. The Freo loss at home was telling ... maybe.

I think the Weagles, Mogs and GWS could be the sides to beat. We have been brilliant considering our injuries, but the Moggies have had a dream year thus far. Much better team than '17/'18. They play pressure football up forward now with another version of our FL but better currently (with no JR for us). Will be attending the match and really hoping for a win, but not expecting it at all.

Apologies: will reply to the 'skills' post tomorrow, too stuffed atm.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Baron Samedi said:
No, this is incorrect.

We actually have quite a skilful team these days. Have you looked at us move the ball forward on the burst? Often it’s breathtaking.

We botch so many inside 50s because our system is defence orientated and we are usually looking to

A) avoid intercept markers and therefore quick oppo rebounds

B) crib territory

C) create opportunities for our crumbers to score or force turnover.

When these are your objectives going forward, the numbers of entries will be high relative to actual scoreboard hits.

Saying we are unskilled is a furphy and the quicker it is eradicated from these boards the better.

We are a premiership team for crissakes.

Surely you no longer need an in-depth response to this post, Baron? If you saw the game?

Still think we are 'quite a skilful team these days'?

Don't make me go through this game for you to describe and highlight the skill deficiencies for you. It was a putrid performance. Maybe you noted the skilled kicking of Butler - that great short pass to the man on the mark that caused a goal, I think - or Lynch and Caddy's great set-shot, or snap for that matter - goal-kicking skills. (What a contrast to Hawkins, Miars and Ratogolea!) Did you really look at some of our field kicking?

Killed all momentum and confidence. That's just a few instances that spring to mind. I could provide tons more skill errors but i'd rather stick pins in my eyes than watch that match again.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
We had our old forward line back, minus Jack.

Boy was it putrid.
That’s the lowest score we have kicked on the MCG for this century.

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
leon said:
Surely you no longer need an in-depth response to this post, Baron? If you saw the game?

Still think we are 'quite a skilful team these days'?

Don't make me go through this game for you to describe and highlight the skill deficiencies for you. It was a putrid performance. Maybe you noted the skilled kicking of Butler - that great short pass to the man on the mark that caused a goal, I think - or Lynch and Caddy's great set-shot, or snap for that matter - goal-kicking skills. (What a contrast to Hawkins, Miars and Ratogolea!) Did you really look at some of our field kicking?

Killed all momentum and confidence. That's just a few instances that spring to mind. I could provide tons more skill errors but i'd rather stick pins in my eyes than watch that match again.

How does one bad game change our skill level?

Injuries, game plan, confidence, effort are all variables atm, but we are still highly skilled.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
You've only noticed ONE bad game say, going back to the Bulldogs 1 pt win in final H & A game of 2018? Didn't notice the PF or 2019 games against the Dogs or Norf just recently?

Currently there are only about four players I trust not to stuff up a possession often - Dusty (but accept he'll make mistakes because he is a game-breaker), Grimes, Vlastuin and Stack. Edwards generally good too but he can still try to be too cute and it's costly from half-back.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I don't reckon it is a massive myth ya know.
Thought it was previously about a 45% win ratio for sides that had sacked a coach mid year. Considering the reason for sacking coaches mid year is a long run of absolute *smile* performance, then a 45% hit rate is a pretty good bounce.
Three coaches sacked this year n three teams have immediately bounced in performance, would boost the ratio a fair bit as there's not really been that many mid season sackings over the years.

Reactions: 1 user

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Thought it was previously about a 45% win ratio for sides that had sacked a coach mid year. Considering the reason for sacking coaches mid year is a long run of absolute **** performance, then a 45% hit rate is a pretty good bounce.
Three coaches sacked this year n three teams have immediately bounced in performance, would boost the ratio a fair bit as there's not really been that many mid season sackings over the years.

that is exactly the point. the stats might say 50-50-ish, but if you've sacked your coach you are probably sitting 20-80 or even worse. Its a huge bounce.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
so should we sack the coach after winning the prelim?
get the bounce with leppacella.
you know it makes sense

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
so should we sack the coach after winning the prelim?
get the bounce with leppacella.
you know it makes sense

you don't really want to go back to 50-50 when you're sitting 80-20. :cool: But in the trumpy post-truth world, stranger things have happened.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
that is exactly the point. the stats might say 50-50-ish, but if you've sacked your coach you are probably sitting 20-80 or even worse. Its a huge bounce.

This year has been an anomaly. When you delve deeper into the historical facts back to 2007 you see that the win ratio is quite low AND the teams that they have beaten when they win have been low teams themselves. From 2007 to 2017 there were 14 sacked coaches prior to season's end and only 5 have won (35.7%). Of those wins, 2 of the teams with sacked coaches were actually higher than their opponent on the ladder at the time, 2 were within 2 ladder spots and 1 within 4. None were in the 8. 5 times a sacked coach team played another in the 8 and all of them lost.

If anything it seems there is a trend to sack a coach before a relatively easy game the next round.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
This year has been an anomaly. When you delve deeper into the historical facts back to 2007 you see that the win ratio is quite low AND the teams that they have beaten when they win have been low teams themselves. From 2007 to 2017 there were 14 sacked coaches prior to season's end and only 5 have won (35.7%). Of those wins, 2 of the teams with sacked coaches were actually higher than their opponent on the ladder at the time, 2 were within 2 ladder spots and 1 within 4. None were in the 8. 5 times a sacked coach team played another in the 8 and all of them lost.

If anything it seems there is a trend to sack a coach before a relatively easy game the next round.

I don't find this compelling.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I don't find this compelling.

No not compelling at all. There might be a slight improvement in performance but more have lost than won and the ones that have won have often been against struggling sides themselves, some which have ended up sacking their own coaches the next year. Not one win against a top 8 side until this year where it happened twice. Carlton (18th) against Brisbane (6th) and North (13th) beat Richmond (6th). So not traditionally a trend.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
No not compelling at all. There might be a slight improvement in performance but more have lost than won and the ones that have won have often been against struggling sides themselves, some which have ended up sacking their own coaches the next year. Not one win against a top 8 side until this year where it happened twice. Carlton (18th) against Brisbane (6th) and North (13th) beat Richmond (6th). So not traditionally a trend.

You've taken the 3 out that don't support your argument from this year, god knows why (rhetorical question :)) and we're still over 35%. That is still a significant bounce. stick the 3 in this year and its off the charts.