Game Day - Tiges V Power | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Tiges V Power

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Marks are down overall,not just inside 50.This is my point.Am I blaming the forwards?Well Lynch took zero marks today.Think we need to find a couple more high marking forwards to create more options. Bauer comes to mind.

Its more the midfield marks that I'm concerned about. They had 12 players that had 5 or more marks today, we had 5. Ball movement through the midfield is amplified by marking to create space, we aren't doing that right now.

Reactions: 1 user

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Why did Dow not stick the tackle?
Because the club have insisted on recruiting dwarfs and stick figures for the last few years - look at them: Banks, Tresize, Clarke, Miller lightweight KPP, Sonsie et al.

Not saying that they all cannot play the game but too many of them across the club. Today's depleted team a perfect chance to debut McCauliffe (Hopper out), and play a forward with some real grunt and aggression, not to mention aerial strength and goal-sense with strong boot - Cumbers - but no, we stick the stick figures and midgets. Baker is an exception: small but plays like a mini-brute.

And 'stick' is correct: too many players who cannot stick a tackle or break one, not even able to get a HB out.
Cannot remember such a RFC-lite side for a loooong time.

We have to rebuild but need to get some size, strength and power back in the team. And speed is vital too.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
What was Vlastuin thinking kicking across goal like that to Shorty
Kick not good enough just like the marking effort. Overall, most of Q1 was a demonstration of exceptional football ineptitude by us, and not just the kids. Only PA's terrible inaccuracy saved us from an early blow-out.
The fumbling stuff-ups really make you wonder what is happening with some of our flag heroes.

Reactions: 1 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Even worse having Jack in the special comments.
He's not quite as bad as Richo but hardly assertive on our behalf. But all media afraid of the vindictive and punitive AFL, you cannot question umpiring except very, very subtly. Tread lightly or else!

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
That’s why mcintosh still gets picked every week. Run and run and run and Sprint and effort.
And then go missing for large parts of the game thereafter? Again? Just because he makes an occasional impact now, that's good enough? Finished w 9 Ds - 6Ks + 3HBs.
Is that really enough impact from any wingman, who must be running all over the park?

Pickett no better - 11Ds (5/6) + 1G but he costs us at least as much or more in awful errors or FA that result in turnovers and goals. I'd say he's a net loss even from that lowly number of Ds. (Like that ridiculous marking effort where he failed to touch the pill; could probably have marked it staying still!)

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Campbell has the skills and the smarts
I agree but even his kicking for goal was poor, for a supposed fwd. Could have also found free team-mates at times and kicked to a contest (that we nearly lost all of (1 v 1).
And why on earth does he get that pill and slow to take a bounce after 3 paces instead of using his burst speed, with that opportunity to set up a goal late?
He has much to learn still.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
AFL is becoming unwatchable. 50m penalties at the drop of a hat. Blatant frees overlooked. Unwatchable. I have spoken.
Yes, I have felt this way ever since late 2020 virtually now, TC.

BTW, any news on the definitive evidence that Tom's kick was a point ... so that the goal umpire's judgement was over-ruled (for perhaps only time that season?)

Not still waiting are we, surely?

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Dixon is clearly the most overrated player in the league. Miller destroying him.
Certainly the most over-sized! He is a hulk these days, after age and injuries etc. Will be amazed if he lasts the season, or even half of it. Lucky to get thru today.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I agree but even his kicking for goal was poor, for a supposed fwd. Could have also found free team-mates at times and kicked to a contest (that we nearly lost all of (1 v 1).
And why on earth does he get that pill and slow to take a bounce after 3 paces instead of using his burst speed, with that opportunity to set up a goal late?
He has much to learn still.

He's played 3 games

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
This game in general is so bad that goal flogs can't even decide a goal or hit the post.
Most of the game was an all-round comedy of errors - by us especially, closely followed by Port. But the dumps; their 'errors' were deliberate rorts and blatant hypocritical cheating. Even a kick that the video evidence I thought showed that Short touched was brusquely ignored and awarded a goal.

Last edited:

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
He's played 3 games
So? Why make pathetic excuses? Either you prove you can play at the level or you go by the wayside sooner or later (it cost Castagna his career after the peak of success). I think a strong club really expects players to perform to the highest standard.

After all, it's their livelihood and can be a very profitable one. I'm a fan and reckon he shows great signs, but if you want to play forward, it's your professional job to get more right than wrong.

• Dislike

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
So? Why make pathetic excuses? Either you prove you can play at the level or you go by the wayside sooner or later (it cost Castagna his career after the peak of success). I think a strong club really expects players to perform to the highest standard.

After all, it's their livelihood and can be a very profitable one. I'm a fan and reckon he shows great signs, but if you want to play forward, it's your professional job to get more right than wrong.

Your assumption that they are able to play at their top level from game 1 is a pathetic viewpoint. I'm not making excuses but inexperienced players will make blues. Its how they rebound from that. I loved seeing Seth after he made those errors. He didn't dwell on them. Its funny that you reference Cumberland in another post as to why he should play and then bag out Campbell. Both make mistakes, 1 drops his head, 1 didn't. I'd love for Cumberland not to drop his head but he does. I really liked that Seth didn't, and kept pushing forward. Its 1 of those things you get with most young players, you tend to get mixed bags because its a big step up.

If you are expecting young players to jump straight in and do with the top 3 draft picks seem to do, then expect to be disappointed.

Reactions: 6 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Your assumption that they are able to play at their top level from game 1 is a pathetic viewpoint. I'm not making excuses but inexperienced players will make blues. Its how they rebound from that. I loved seeing Seth after he made those errors. He didn't dwell on them. Its funny that you reference Cumberland in another post as to why he should play and then bag out Campbell. Both make mistakes, 1 drops his head, 1 didn't. I'd love for Cumberland not to drop his head but he does. I really liked that Seth didn't, and kept pushing forward. Its 1 of those things you get with most young players, you tend to get mixed bags because its a big step up.

If you are expecting young players to jump straight in and do with the top 3 draft picks seem to do, then expect to be disappointed.
So you attack me for MY opinion which I'm absolutely entitled to, and I'm sticking with despite your insipid labelling as 'pathetic', whilst you largely misconstrue my view as a rubbishing of Seth - which it's clearly not. But you go about this by actually denigrating another of our players who I never mentioned in this particular post, although I have referred to him positively elsewhere. It was your pathetic choice to do this: I made no negative reference to either player. I simply stated that (and I mean all AFL players really) our young players have to show and develop the professionalism to kick well at the elite level. I apply the same expectations to all of our players; kicking is crucial. Why do you think it's known as foot - ball!?

Shai's wasteful inaccuracy drives many of us beside ourselves, again some wasted opportunities today along with a brilliant goal. Balta was also wasteful; trained to play forward so learn where the goals are. Really wonder about our training and prep when he's kicking hooks from almost directly in front? But his snaps were quite gettable wastes. Mansell's stupid, wasteful error cost us the W against Cartoon in final score last match.

As for Cumberland maligned by you. I'm not on the inside at the club so I don't know exactly why he has been kept out of the AFL side. I don't subscribe to hearsay either, but I have admired many of his performances, at both levels. He may actually be not getting a fair go on particular grounds that I'm not aware of; maybe others have simply been preferred ... for various reasons, maybe not entirely performance based. After all, Cumbers did kick 19 goals in 9 AFL games in 2022. See some more of his stats below. He is also a young player, e.g. 9 mths younger than Mansell, lost 2020 to an ACL. Mansell has close to twice as many games although Cumbers was made sub for several of his (probably RM too) but he averages 1.5 goals p/g to RM's 0.4 with the rest of their stats fairly close. As for MRJ, I'd say Cumbers stats are overall better even though Maurice has 29 games to his 18. MRJ's goal av. is 0.7. Also, despite 6.4 more games, Shai's goals p/g av. is also less than Cumberland's at 1.2.

Gees, imagine how well he'd go if he stopped 'dropping his head' continually.

But no doubt you know it all better than myself or others, and it's all because Cumbers has been 'dropping his head' forever, because you have watched all his games. Sure. As for Seth, perhaps I'll just repeat my comment: "I'm a fan and reckon he shows great signs, but if you want to play forward, it's your professional job to get more right than wrong." Some shots today were close range and not undue pressure.

But I apply that to every AFL player, especially the dedicated forwards, but I'm happy for opposing teams to kick like donkeys. I just want my players at RFC to be true professionals. That's what makes champion teams.

1st among rising stars in Goals Per Game in 2022 ● 2nd among rising stars in Score Involvements Per Game in 2022
● 4th among rising stars in Goal Assists Per Game in 2022 ● 3rd among rising stars in Total Goals in 2022
● 5th among rising stars in Total Goal Assists in 2022

Last edited:

Bourke30JC33

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 15, 2021
RFC - Back to Back Dynasties
Went to the game.
The younger players show potential.
It will take 3-4 years to open a new window, then to be a genuine threat again for another 3-4 years.
Football is a cycle, of mature players, then younger ones coming through.
Balta forward is not working, should be at half back.
We need to draft a key forward to eventually replace Lynch.

Bourke30JC33

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 15, 2021
RFC - Back to Back Dynasties
The late exclusion of Maurice was a blow.
He plays well as a diversionary HF flanker, augments Shai running forward.
The reality is we are being outscored, week in, week out.
We need to add an extra in defence.
Make the game more of a war of attrition.
Balta must revert to defence as the spare, rebounding HB flanker.