GAME DAY - TIGES V SAINTS | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

GAME DAY - TIGES V SAINTS

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Ratten is a good coach but the Saints haven't showed up this year. This time last year they were playing fast, skilful footy but they've lost their mojo.
I do rate Ratten as a coach.
But the powers to be at the club thought they just had to top up the list to make the GF.
Sadly for them they have topped up with *smile* players

rat bastad

I'm a llama!
Aug 11, 2003
Melbourne
Meant to reply last night but got too late. Yes, agree, but it was Butler who actually got them going against WC last week. Sure, he was pretty ordinary last night but so were most of his team, and we all know SFs rely so much on F50 entries and their KPFs bringing the ball to ground.

I think you need to imagine Butler playing for us last night. I think he would have had a feast because of his speed and hard running both ways, tackling, opportunism and smarts around goals. He is quite deadly with half a chance.

I'd still argue he is at least as good if not a better player than Aarts. But the thing that worked at the Tigers was the combo of the 3 amigos; each complimented the other with different skills and attributes.

Anyway, I'm letting it go. But remember, Butts never wanted to leave and still has good mates at PRO. Whereas, Higgins wanted out; he seemed to cop a bit more attention from our boys last night. Not a surprise after all the club did in support of him and his very difficult issues. But maybe a case of 'Reap what you sow.'
100% correct- it was the SUM of the 3 parts that allowed Buts to be as damaging as he was at Punt Rd. No such structure at the Aints.

And yes, he wanted to stay with us - I for one was disappointed to see him go, more than I was Higgo.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
They do have some injuries but I reckon they don't have a plan B. That fast footy is all they have

Butler is a good example. He thrives with that type of footy because he can get out the back and use his speed and struggles otherwise

Agree and their midfield depth is non existent. They were playing with 3 momentum killers in their midfield yesterday, Crouch, Ross and Dunstan. Where Sydney moved forward and attempted the difficult kick, these guys stopped, 2nd guessed themselves and invited pressure, then put others under pressure.

I think losing Geary and Gresham are probably 2 even more important than Marshall and Ryder.

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
Their supporters must be disillusioned by that side. Paying Hill, Hannerbury and Crouch mega bucks. Topping up with fringe players. No kids coming through apart from King. Could be some more lean years ahead.

Reactions: 1 user

The_Celebrant

Tiger Superstar
Aug 18, 2018
malemelbournecelebrant.net.au
Here's something that caught my eye last night – tell me if we do it regularly, or whether it seemed to be a tweak to our normal way of moving the ball.

On a few occasions when we got a handball chain going, the first 3-4 were to players close by, but the next one was a big 15-20 metres to a player in the corridor. If this was a tweak, it seems a smart way to escape the congestion when oppo players start closing in on the chain. It also opens up the corridor and the fat side.

Sometimes in previous games we've run into trouble by about the fourth or fifth handpass as opponents target those latter receivers.

It just looked like a well planned tactic to me.

Thoughts?

Reactions: 7 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Similar to the Dees in 2019 after making finals in 2018, just thought they would naturally progress, and believed the hype.
They have a strong hand of capable players in the 25-27 range. It's up to them to pull their fingers out and show they're good enough to warrant an AFL contract in two years' time. If they fail as a group, the Saints will go nowhere.

(Richmond had Rance, Cotchin, Astbury, Martin, Grimes, Lambert in this bracket in 2017.)

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
But the powers to be at the club thought they just had to top up the list to make the GF.
Ratten has a 35-9 record when he has the older team, which is up there with Hardwick among the best ever. But some of those blokes won't graduate to senior status if they perform like last night.

Fighting Fury

Tiger Army
Jul 17, 2003
Here's something that caught my eye last night – tell me if we do it regularly, or whether it seemed to be a tweak to our normal way of moving the ball.

On a few occasions when we got a handball chain going, the first 3-4 were to players close by, but the next one was a big 15-20 metres to a player in the corridor. If this was a tweak, it seems a smart way to escape the congestion when oppo players start closing in on the chain. It also opens up the corridor and the fat side.

Sometimes in previous games we've run into trouble by about the fourth or fifth handpass as opponents target those latter receivers.

It just looked like a well planned tactic to me.

Thoughts?
good pick up.
I recall Cotchin with the ball in congestion at least twice clearly not taking the first handball option, but instead glancing up and spying the second option 10-15 m away.
There were probably other examples too.
Although to be fair, there were a number of witches hats out there...Dustin's goal exhibit A.

Reactions: 3 users

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
As we were getting well on top of the Aints last night, was anybody else struck by the similarities to Round 11, 1975?
We are 6-4, a wobbly third on the ladder (Hawthorn and Carlton are way ahead on 9-1) and we are chasing a three-peat.
We have the Aints at Arctic Park, they are 4-6, eighth (final five back then) and going nowhere.
At half time, we lead 9.8 to 1.8.
We lost by two goals.
I was at the game at remember it like it was yesterday. It was the game that more than any other signaled the end of that era.

Gee the Aints' team for that match makes for some interesting reading ... Russell Greene, Malthouse, Barker, Breen, Muir, O'Dea.
Yikes. Talk about unsociable.
How did they let Greene and Malthouse go?

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Cotchy was trying to rip his head off
Yeh, the tigers really don’t like dishonest footballers. We do the same to crumples mcrae. It’s almost worth giving up the odd free.
I’m hoping Marlion gets an opportunity to authentically tackle crumples.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Shades of the Tigers post 2001 Prelim.

False dawn got it wrong.

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
As soon as Hill dropped his mark and Pickett picked the ball and kicked a long goal., I said to myself, after the game I have to poster a rumour about saints shopping Hill out.
I forgot about it, watching the after game analysis. Looks like the journals had the same idea, for ratten to say hill is required.

Tigerhealer

I'm a llama!
Sep 7, 2003
Eagles slapped reality right into em in that Prelim, dead set buckled their chassis.
and in to Collingwood too, i have never cheered so loudly for another team to win as i did when Dom Sheed kicked that goal :):)

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
and in to Collingwood too, i have never cheered so loudly for another team to win as i did when Dom Sheed kicked that goal :):)
Yet for some reason Eagles fan have some real hatred towards the RFC ....makes no sense we have no rivalry with them.

Reactions: 2 users

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Yet for some reason Eagles fan have some real hatred towards the RFC ....makes no sense we have no rivalry with them.

Because we have the dynasty in this era and they only got the one premiership,

That’s why the hatred is one way traffic , we are not that bothered with them , but they are extremely jealous

Reactions: 8 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Because we have the dynasty in this era and they only got the one premiership,

That’s why the hatred is one way traffic , we are not that bothered with them , but they are extremely jealous
What they don't seem to get is had we not shat the bed against the Maggots in the Prelim they would not have won it in 2018.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I thought Duckwood was ok in the box, much better than Jab. He was pretty complimentary of us, said he'd love to play with Nank, and that Shedda and Shai are stars.
Yeh he was complementary all night about the tigers. There was admiration and envy in his voice.
Jobe is just plain unimaginative and boring.

Reactions: 1 users