GAME DAY - TIGES V SWANS | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

GAME DAY - TIGES V SWANS

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Correct. Scoring hasn't increased but the bruise free uncontested ball pinging up and down circle work has. Boring! Don't believe the *smile* the AFL and media are feeding us. It's not a better spectacle. This wasn't introduced to stop the "rolling maul". Had Geelong won the GF do you really think this rule would have been introduced? The media were circle jerking about the prospects of Geelong winning it. Hocking identified one area we are the best at - manning the mark and took this away from us. Give me a break.

I understand the point but Geelong are more disadvantaged than us on the evidence so far.

They cannot handle the fast ball and the better teams will slice them.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I understand the point but Geelong are more disadvantaged than us on the evidence so far.

They cannot handle the fast ball and the better teams will slice them.

Agree. I'm also not sure this favours Port. Despite what the media claim, they have some average kicks in their midfield. They haven't actually tried to play this 15m kick to kick game as I don't think they can do it, probably similar to us, it doesn't suit our personnel, which is why I don't think Saturdays game will be any indication of what Friday will bring, probably similar to the following Thursday against the Saints.

Reactions: 2 users

Honest John

Tiger Cub
Sep 12, 2020
My two cents worth... the whole spectacle of the Swans chip chip chipping was boring. No flow. No contests. Almost to the point where the player with the ball stands almost 15 metres away from the man on the mark and chips it to someone standing next to the man on the mark! Moving the ball forward 1 metre at a time! Someone needs to do this along the entire length of the 50 metre line to show how ridiculous this rule is

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
The total goals kicked in all games from rounds 1-3 is a larger sample size than the winning team’s score in round 2, so I think it’s more accurate to say scoring has increased by closer to 5% than 20%.

The nature of scoring may have changed, but the stats say the media is blowing it out of proportion.

It’s only 1 goal per game between both teams.
If winning team is scoring 20% more but total scoring is only 5% more it means the winning margins have blown out. Another factor that is making the games more boring imo.

Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Interesting, Healy just showed 3 passages of play where we brought it out of our backline, all 3 of them did show what he was trying to show (Sydney defending higher up the ground) but all 3 also showed a poor decision or poorly executed kick from the Tiges. There was one where normally we would look for the corridor kick (and had a free man) but went to the pocket.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Geez Healys a dumbass. Says scoring has increased for the talls due to scoring from the back half, then reference Sydney (who killed us on Saturday from FORWARD HALF turnover).

How do we get so many idiots think they can talk about the game and get it so wrong so often?

Nick R is the only one that makes full sense.

Reactions: 5 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
OMG and Lyon is an idiot. He's just totally contradicted himself with 2 passages of play with Bakes. Bags him for the 1st one because he left Papley (to attack the back of the forward stoppage), the ball never even went to Papley, but said he should have stayed with him man on man.

Then the very next one, it was the Warner goal, where Graham missed the tackle, Bakes actually stayed with Papley this time, and Lyon bags him for not covering the space to stop Warner.

So he bags him for zoning in the 1st one and not going man on man, and then the 2nd one where he goes man on man, he bags him for not zoning.

What a *smile* idiot Lyon is. Has no idea what he's talking about.

Reactions: 6 users

tiger76

Tiger Superstar
Mar 26, 2014
OMG and Lyon is an idiot. He's just totally contradicted himself with 2 passages of play with Bakes. Bags him for the 1st one because he left Papley (to attack the back of the forward stoppage), the ball never even went to Papley, but said he should have stayed with him man on man.

Then the very next one, it was the Warner goal, where Graham missed the tackle, Bakes actually stayed with Papley this time, and Lyon bags him for not covering the space to stop Warner.

So he bags him for zoning in the 1st one and not going man on man, and then the 2nd one where he goes man on man, he bags him for not zoning.

His awfulness is a special mixture of the Dunning-Kruger Effect and Richmond derangement syndrome, with a twist of wan*ker.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
OMG and Lyon is an idiot.
he is indeed a double idiot Posh. lately his rambling sounds like bad pharmaceuticals.
he's incoherent and judgemental and very very boring ..

Reactions: 1 user

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
Interesting, Healy just showed 3 passages of play where we brought it out of our backline, all 3 of them did show what he was trying to show (Sydney defending higher up the ground) but all 3 also showed a poor decision or poorly executed kick from the Tiges. There was one where normally we would look for the corridor kick (and had a free man) but went to the pocket.

Spot on. Each of those examples we butchered the release kick to the spare man etc.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
So they are now analysing our game and not just how to stop Dusty?

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Doesn't Gold Coast start every year 4-0 or 5-1 and then they capitulate?
I can see the same happening with Sydney.
The Sydney Sun's

Reactions: 1 users

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley

You raise Gary Lyon, indeed a person of low mental cognitive ability, but i give you Mark McClure of equal or, believe it or not, possibly more mentally dysfunctional.

On Radio 774, this muppet was talking of how quickly the end can come for a dynasty, and based upon this one game, continually raised the chip mark game plan as the blueprint to defeat the Tigers. He kept repeating the same "Other teams will be watching this", suggesting the end is near.

What did he think Geelong or the WCE etc were trying on us last year? In fact, this strategy has been talked about from before the 2017 GF. Granted Steve Hocking is trying his hardest to limit our ability to break down this chip game strategy, by drafting rules to lessen the pressure on the kicker, but Saturday was far from a typical Richmond performance, continual skill errors, poor decision making etc.

I've said it before and i will say it again. If we win the 2021 premiership, it will be a feat / dynasty with no equal.

When a team wins a flag, in the past it is the coaches trying to break down the game plan. Since we started winning flags, there has been a bevy of rule changes to break down our game plan. Why attack the game plan of a team that is one of the better at scoring, and not the game plan of those who score lowly?

Reactions: 6 users

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
Doesn't Gold Coast start every year 4-0 or 5-1 and then they capitulate?
I can see the same happening with Sydney.
The Sydney Sun's
Yep, gotta love the media. Yes they looked impressive & we didn't. But surely they are smart enough to realise it's barely April & the premiership is won in late September. Christ I walked out of the ground sun burnt , felt like the cricket , not footy.

I used to watch all the footy shows, now they just crap on about rubbish most of the time only to change their tune the following week, they are all experts once something has happened.

Berwick boy

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2004
Correct. Scoring hasn't increased but the bruise free uncontested ball pinging up and down circle work has. Boring! Don't believe the *smile* the AFL and media are feeding us. It's not a better spectacle. This wasn't introduced to stop the "rolling maul". Had Geelong won the GF do you really think this rule would have been introduced? The media were circle jerking about the prospects of Geelong winning it. Hocking identified one area we are the best at - manning the mark and took this away from us. Give me a break.
Agree...I hate the way it’s played now. It’s practically gifting spuds record breaking stats and goal tallies that are just not what I grew up with.

10 goals for that hack ! Disgraceful from the AFL.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Watching replay - here is the umpiring summary: of the 1st Quarter

19.40 - Reid throw missed
19.30 - Martin push in back missed
19.09 - Grimes arm hold missed in marking contest from kick-out (no. 45 from Swans infringed)
16.30 - Astbury off the ground miss kick incorrectly given as deliberate oob
14.05 - Graham held whilst not in possession on HFF - a 50/50 not paid
13.50 - Hewitt tackled by Castagna, spun 360 and threw it out no free kick.
13.20 - Castagna grabbed high on HFF - another 50/50 no free
11.25 - Centre bounce goes outside circle giving Nank no chance to contest - not recalled
(as an obs 10..50 - Egg absolutely putrid contesting an incoming pass)
9.10 - Short tackles Parker at CHB- throws it away no free kick
7.40 - Free against Egg for holding man paid - not really there, a 50/50 that is never paid to us

At this stage I was listening to the Fox commentary and thought Syd must have been destroying us. Gary Lyon was wetting himself over them. Tigers butchered some very good attacking opportunities with poor kicking to open targets and game is pretty even.

2.07 - centre bounce favours Nank but is correctly recalled as it goes outside circle!

We were not playing terribly just missing some really open targets. Lynch was looking good but fumbled a number of great opportunities. Shai dropped a mark dead in front. We turned it over under not a lot of pressure.

And I've read the 3rd quarter is worse!!

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
wins you the April cup.
Dimma needs to lift. It’s one of the few bits of hardware we haven’t won yet and it’s leaving a huge hole in the trophy cabinet. Along with the May, June and July Cups. I think we have a few August ones and the insignificant September one. I’m not even going to mention the October Trophy, he’s only got one of those. The media are onto him

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
2nd Quarter Summary

16.40 - Papley cleverly milks free. He grabs ball, gets tackled and ball is dislodged in the tackle. He throws himself backwards with the tackle and gets the free. Lambert stiff as he doesn't know his tackle dislodged the ball.
14.45 - Blakey sprints through middle, takes 2 bounces and then 19 running steps without bouncing before having a shot. Allowing for 1.5m a step (likely more when running at pace) he runs over 25m without bouncing. No free. Luckily he hits the post with the shot. The running too far was not even raised by the commentators.
13.10 - Parker incorrect disposal (he throws it) no penalised
12.44 - Reid throws it in their forward pocket to Heeney not penalised
12.30 - Heeney drops it after being tackled not penalised
10.45 - Ball kicked to Shai in forward pocket by Graham who is pushed in back just as he jumps to attempt mark. Its a 50/50 but one that is never paid to us.
10.01 - Free to Sydney against Baker for in the back. Correctly paid. The Syd player who recovers the ball hears the whistle and kicks the ball forward to leading player. That is spoilt by tigers so umpire recalls the ball to original free. They took the advantage, just because it didn't come off the umpire gave them another chance. Wrong wrong wrong. The subsequent play leads to a swans goal.
6.35 - Lynch pushes McCartin in side, free against. Sometimes paid, sometimes not.
4.15 - Hewitt tackled and throws it no free paid. Didn't matter as we had the ball and result was George goal
3.10 - Heeney free for Pickett hold in marking contest. Probably there but would love to get that paid all the time.
0.40 - another centre bounce that goes outside circle favours Hickey not recalled
0.26 - Lambert maybe throws it but not seen by ump.
0.20 - Papley runs through contest, is tackled, throws it in act of throwing his arms back for free, not penalised.
0.03 - Block paid against Balta. I would have paid it as Balta was not looking at the contest but the man initially. It was absolutely unnecessary as Wicks had no chance of marking it. Not paid all the time but by looking at the man Balta gave the ump the opportunity.

At least the 2nd qtr not as bad as the first for bad calls.

Every free we received in the 1st half was there, didn't get one you could dispute.

Some 1st half obs
Egg cannot tackle. And has no AFL intensity. Please no more.
Short plays too loose as a defender, gives way too much space to his opponent.
Pickett has awful disposal both by hand and foot but covers huge territory and pressures well.
Rioli was invisible and when he touched it turned it over.
Cotchin's kicking is awful, almost always to disadvantage
Nank was schooled by Hickey, that will never happen again in my lifetime.

Our ruck/mids were well beaten. Not many "best" players. George/Baker and Lynch competed.

Gary Lyon more or less said our defenders cannot play one on one, can only play zone. Based on one half of football. What a muppet, No wonder he has never coached.