GAME DAY - Tiges vs Dees | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

GAME DAY - Tiges vs Dees

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I'm not worried about Dudbourne at all. In fact, I reckon they are average and are guaranteed to fall in a hole at some point.

I just can't stand their fans. There's a real front runner and smart arse attitude to them. They pop up out of the ground infrequently, and when they do, the attitude is like they've been a mega success for decades. You'd think they'd have a smidgeon of humility given their last 56 years, and keep a bit of a lid on it, but nope.

I'm the same in regards to hating their fans and everything about their club. The fans and players ability to get ahead of themselves. And Goodwin is a very bland operator who hasn't had an original idea in his life.

But they have a very well balanced lineup IMO. They have the best ruck in the game in Gawn and and very good midfield. Petracca is a beast. Oliver very good. They appear more selfless. Luke Jackson looks a real talent, he is the perfect backup ruck/forward, the type you want Mabs to be. Pickett did nothing against us but is exciting. Salem a very good user. Speed with Hunt/Langdon. Fritsch is so punchable but is a very good medium forward option. Ben Brown will get a game and add a different dimension with the new rules in play. If he is fit he should do well.

Compare them with the side of 2018 that made the prelim:

OUT -
Jetta - will be in their best 22 when fit
Oscar McDonald - dud
Jordan Lewis - was finished at the time
Joel Smith - dud
Mitch Hannan - dud
James Harmes - battler
Aaron Vandenburg - dud
Dom Tyson - dud
Sam Weideman - big dud

IN -
Jayden Hunt - getting better with more experience much better composure this year.
May - A grade full back serious improvement on O Mac
Lever - punchable but smart 3rd tall defender. Upgrade on Lewis/Smith
Tomlinson - not convinced he is any good, but better than Joel Smith
Langdon - improver with speed and a better option than Harmes
Jackson - a real talent, massive upgrade on Weideman
Fritsch - a challenging matchup and upgrade on Vandenburg
Pickett - shows real promise, upgrade on Hannan

James Jordan? Trent Rivers?

Their midfield group of Gawn/Petracca/Oliver/Viney/Brayshaw have another 2 seasons under their belt and have all improved. Gawn is a serious footballer now not a part-time clown.

As much as I despise them they will be a big challenge for any side if they can keep their best side on the park and if Brown gets fit. A much better balanced side than the Bulldogs IMO.

Reactions: 3 users

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
was away for the weekend
my 2 cents worth
there were a few things in that game that were "UN" Melb. like

their structures and level of effort were very good all game long

when we brought the heat early they hung tough

all for all bar the last little bit of the game they didn't get carried away and trash talk , again "UN" Melb. like

I think it shows they are a team that has turned a corner and have to be viewed as a threat and real top 4 contender

observations of us

Nank beat Max , his centre bounce leaps were sensational , he did similar in our scratch match V them , but this time under full match conditions
I think the game was further evidence Nank has rounded out his game , go big fella

our AFL side was a little off and so to the VFL side , any connection ?

we were down but for long parts of the game but only 3 goals adrift , so no reason to panic

I got the feel that Houli will need a few more games

system ,system , I felt we are missing Vlas & Prestia and with them in we'll execute the system better

the free kick against Short for deliberate out of bounds was pivotal , it was a brilliant kick for goal and that seemed to give them real momentum
it just shouldn't have been paid

we got one dimensional in bombing long to the hot spot

Reactions: 2 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
What's the go with the guard of honour for Nathan Jones? Yes I know I'm a bad sport, but I don't rate him as a footballer or a bloke. Also thought it was a pisser when he turned around to maybe thank the Tiges players for it, they had gone, Bakes the first.
Stupid. We should have been clapping Dusty off not the Shemans dud

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
They had all hands on deck where missing Tigers were Prestia, Val ,Soldo, Stack with Dusty & Lambert missing for half a game. Kicked straight it would have line ball. Lets see how they line up come September.

Reactions: 2 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Not even a mention.Lynch same thing crucified nothing to do with the loss but how can umpires miss it and match review panel we a being targeted.
Screenshot_20210427-211314_Twitter.jpg

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Quite interesting seeing the Dees injury list. It's very short by comparison. They had their best 22 available for that game.
We have plenty of improvement in us.

Reactions: 1 user

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Not even a mention.Lynch same thing crucified nothing to do with the loss but how can umpires miss it and match review panel we a being targeted.
View attachment 12033
He elbowed Nigel in the throat just prior to this. Kosi is a sniping little prick and hope he gets his comeuppance next time we play them.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne players got very cocky and lippy the end of the game.
Typical Melbourne.
Nothing has changed in 40 year's.
They were like that in the late 80's.
Worse in the late 2000's and even worse now with smart asses who have achieved nothing like Jones, Viney and Gawn.
They will fall over like they always do.
At least Footscary don't carry on like them.

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
Quite interesting seeing the Dees injury list. It's very short by comparison. They had their best 22 available for that game.
Let them play a few more games and see how they fair! Sydney started with a blaze of glory. Melbourne played their best game, personally speaking, it would be very hard for this team to keep playing at the level, before somethings give way.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Notice how often Gawn stands under a high ball engaging a couple of tigers, pretends hes gone under the ball and watches it go over his head for a teammate to catch?

He ran a masterclass in getting away with blocking the other night

Reactions: 4 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Notice how often Gawn stands under a high ball engaging a couple of tigers, pretends hes gone under the ball and watches it go over his head for a teammate to catch?

He ran a masterclass in getting away with blocking the other night

Yes! I try to refrain from posting when I’m emotional during a game, but this one tested me.

He just stands there, walks under the ball (with our player’s arms pinned under his armpits?) and then he’s like “oh... oh... no, I accidentally run under the— oh good job team mate!“.

It’s great play. We thought they’d go the big man, instead they go the little man. Melbourne chose unpredictability over height.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Yes! I try to refrain from posting when I’m emotional during a game, but this one tested me.

He just stands there, walks under the ball (with our player’s arms pinned under his armpits?) and then he’s like “oh... oh... no, I accidentally run under the— oh good job team mate!“.

It’s great play. We thought they’d go the big man, instead they go the little man. Melbourne chose unpredictability over height.

I really like Max Gawn. Hes a fantastic player and he seems like a very genuine bloke.

and sure, a big part of a ruckmans job is to block,

but I reckon if it was Nank and not Max, they would have pinged him in really important places and important times..

Reactions: 3 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
I really like Max Gawn. Hes a fantastic player and he seems like a very genuine bloke.

and sure, a big part of a ruckmans job is to block,

but I reckon if it was Nank and not Max, they would have pinged him in really important places and important times..

Was it a block? I thought you have to change direction, whereas Gawn just played dumb by walking under the ball?

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Was it a block? I thought you have to change direction, whereas Gawn just played dumb by walking under the ball?

*smile* knows what the rules of AFL are these days?

but I was screaming

'*smile* Gawn that's a BLOCK'

a fair bit

my understanding of a block in a marking contest is if you plant your body somewhere that impedes the opposition while not really trying to catch the footy,

its a block?

but I also think if someone tackles you and you drop the ball,

that its dropping the ball

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
And some fitness and skills work to improve on which they have an extra month on us with.