Gechya phantom drafts here | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Gechya phantom drafts here

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Gypsy__Jazz said:
Interesting, Monk. Three talls with plum picks seems like overkill to me but perhaps I'm on my lonesome?
Gunna be a heap of ways the draft could pan out tomorrow. We've already got a fairly full book of young and developing small mediums and obviously a bit light on for good young talls Garth n Cholly both speculative late picks.
I'd be comfortable grabbing three early talls this draft n backing it up with Naishy. Next year is supposedly a fat draft n there's always plenty of medium n small players to pick from every year, it's always much harder to get a crop of talls in one hit.

Three picks inside the first 25 gives us a good chance of scoring decent quality with time still available to develop them without rushing.

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/sam-landsberger-predicts-the-first-20-picks-at-the-afl-draft-who-will-your-club-pick/news-story/6d354abf1290b7802b09a939e213b2f1

Ballard must be huge now.

20. RICHMOND: CHARLIE BALLARD (Sturt)

Late developer who has grown 20m in the past year and played as a rangy wingman. Bolter who has come from nowhere as 195cm midfielders are hard to find.

Just kick it long to him in the goalsquare!

Could he be another McBean who doesn't adapt to his bigger size? And could he develop the McBean McBackside?

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Twomey's "late mail" has us taking

Nathan Murphy at 17,
Brander at 20,
Hayes at 25
Naish at 27 (after GWS's bid).

---------------------------------------------

Cal Twomey's late mail: Top five shake-up

afl.com.au
November 23, 2017 6:50 PM

ALL EYES will be on Fremantle's No.2 pick at Friday night's NAB AFL Draft, with midfielder Adam Cerra looming as a possible surprise selection.

The Dockers have been strongly linked to Dandenong Stingrays midfielder Luke Davies-Uniacke and he could still land there at the prized spot.

However, Cerra has been all the late rage as the top end takes shape and the Dockers work out their best combination of players with their two top-five selections.

With the Lions expected to take Victorian Cam Rayner at pick No.1, if the Dockers grab Cerra at No.2, Carlton would then be forced to choose between midfield jets Paddy Dow and Davies-Uniacke at No.3.

The Blues have long been linked to Dow, which would leave North to grab Davies-Uniacke and bolster its midfield.

Despite its interest in South Australian Darcy Fogarty, North Melbourne appears more likely to select one of midfield duo Davies-Uniacke or Cerra with its No.4 choice.

Freo's decision at No.2 will significantly shape how the rest of the top 10 plays out, in what has been described by recruiters as the most open and difficult draft to predict in memory.

Collingwood continues to be linked to Fogarty at its No.6 choice, but another player the Magpies are considering is Jaidyn Stephenson, whose place in the draft order has been difficult to ascertain after the teenager's heart condition came to light for clubs at last month's NAB AFL Draft Combine.

The Magpies were one of the clubs who were part of extra medical assessments on Stephenson last week, while St Kilda has also done extensive work on the exciting half-forward/midfielder. Collingwood is still waiting on medical clearances before weighing up whether to draft the high-marking and speedy player.

If neither of those clubs grab Stephenson, West Coast will strongly consider him at pick No.13, while Sydney could also be a chance at No.14.

Richmond is also considering its decision with Stephenson and whether it will pounce on him should he be available at its one of its three top-25 choices. Few would have expected that Stephenson could reach the club.

Geelong has also emerged as a possible home for the Eastern Ranges product, with Stephenson seen as being a good chance to head to the Cats if he's available at their picks (No.22 and 24 overall).

The news of Stephenson's condition has seen clubs contact the League for extra information and testing, and thrown his draft position into a spin just a day out from names being called.

Carlton could have to make the call between Lochie O'Brien and Ed Richards at No.10, which would then likely have an impact on the Giants (No.11) and Adelaide (No.12) selections with a group of players in both the mix for both clubs. Aiden Bonar is a strong chance to head to GWS or Adelaide.

Tom McCartin, the younger brother of St Kilda's Paddy, has been linked to North's second choice at No.23, while small forward Jack Higgins could land at the Western Bulldogs or Richmond.

LATE MAIL TOP 30

Pick 1 – Brisbane Lions – Cameron Rayner
Pick 2 – Fremantle – Adam Cerra
Pick 3 – Carlton – Paddy Dow
Pick 4 – North Melbourne – Luke Davies-Uniacke
Pick 5 – Fremantle – Andrew Brayshaw
Pick 6 – Collingwood – Darcy Fogarty
Pick 7 – St Kilda – Hunter Clark
Pick 8 – St Kilda – Nick Coffield
Pick 9 – Western Bulldogs – Aaron Naughton
Pick 10 – Carlton – Lochie O'Brien
Pick 11 – Greater Western Sydney – Aiden Bonar
Pick 12 – Adelaide – Ed Richards
Pick 13 – West Coast – Jaidyn Stephenson
Pick 14 – Sydney – Oscar Allen
Pick 15 – Brisbane Lions – Lachie Fogarty
Pick 16 – Western Bulldogs – Jack Higgins
Pick 17 – Richmond – Nathan Murphy
Pick 18 – Brisbane Lions – Zac Bailey
Pick 19 – Gold Coast – Charlie Ballard
Pick 20 – Richmond – Jarrod Brander
Pick 21 – West Coast – Ryley Stoddart
Pick 22 – Geelong – Sam Taylor
Pick 23 – North Melbourne – Tom McCartin
Pick 24 – Geelong – Brent Daniels
Pick 25 – Richmond – Sam Hayes
Pick 26 – West Coast – Callum Coleman-Jones
Pick 27 – Richmond (matching GWS bid) – Patrick Naish
Pick 28 – Greater Western Sydney – Harrison Petty
Pick 29 – Greater Western Sydney – Jack Petruccelle
Pick 30 – Melbourne – Matt Ling

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-11-23/cal-twomeys-late-mail-topfive-draft-bolter

an_oxford_man

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
footballmonk said:
I agree. Would rather take Bailey with one of these picks. Might still be an outside chance that Higgins slips to 17 too, which would be almost as good as Stephenson.

Okay with Bailey at 25, FM. Saw some flashes. Although I must admit, I reckon he's most appealing price is in the 30s and beyond. Given our abundance of smalls and Naish on the way too, I think Higgins at 17 is audacious. But I like that...

CC TIGER said:
If they turned out to be all B grade plus GJ ,it would make drafting for the next 10years a lot less complicated, a class mid and a key forward and key back is not much to ask for hey .

Does appear there’s going to be some good talls at our picks, be interesting if we do go for a ruck that early

It's all about philosophy, isn't it, CC? You could easily argue that smashing talls at 17, 20 and 25 is a decisive and necessary strategy given the hole in our KPP stocks. But I belong to a different school of thought that it is in fact a defensive and indecisive strategy that undermines each tall selection. With choice picks, we should be able to get our man and back him in. I'd cop two well credentialed talls, but I'd be hoping for a gun slider to go with Naish in an ideal world.

TigerMasochist said:
Gunna be a heap of ways the draft could pan out tomorrow. We've already got a fairly full book of young and developing small mediums and obviously a bit light on for good young talls Garth n Cholly both speculative late picks.
I'd be comfortable grabbing three early talls this draft n backing it up with Naishy. Next year is supposedly a fat draft n there's always plenty of medium n small players to pick from every year, it's always much harder to get a crop of talls in one hit.

Three picks inside the first 25 gives us a good chance of scoring decent quality with time still available to develop them without rushing.

I hear ya and I don't think that's unreasonable, TM. But I'm barracking for a different outcome.

A bit of Christmas Eve about tonight. Very exciting.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Gypsy__Jazz said:
It's all about philosophy, isn't it, CC? You could easily argue that smashing talls at 17, 20 and 25 is a decisive and necessary strategy given the hole in our KPP stocks. But I belong to a different school of thought that it is in fact a defensive and indecisive strategy that undermines each tall selection. With choice picks, we should be able to get our man and back him in. I'd cop two well credentialed talls, but I'd be hoping for a gun slider to go with Naish in an ideal world.
The thing is Gyps, what if those talks are the three best available according to our scouts and we back them in?
The fact they’re tall, may be a coincidence.
Ballard is a midfielder by the way, just a tall one.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/coupler.foxsports.com.au/api/v1/article/amp/afl/afl-draft-2017-fox-footys-full-top-50-phantom-draft/news-story/fb03f7cc10948dcf2f465211f3e85446

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Tigers of Old said:
I couldn't believe Twomey's recent 2008 hindsight draft recently where he ranked players. Thought he was miles off the mark. Is he really a good judge of a footballer?

He's even worse than you think, Olds. :help

an_oxford_man

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
The_General said:
The thing is Gyps, what if those talks are the three best available according to our scouts and we back them in?
The fact they’re tall, may be a coincidence.
Ballard is a midfielder by the way, just a tall one.

If they're best available, that's fine with me, General. And apologies on Ballard, just a few too many KPP stocks whose names start with the letter B. Brander, Balta, Ballenden. Ballard isn't one of them. On Ballard, he's one of the potential upsiders that I'm quite keen on. Some of his movement and distribution on the wing actually reminded me of Bailey Dale from the Dogs. I've always had a wrap on Dale and certainly didn't expect to be reminded of him when I first saw Ballard. Depending on how much he improves and fills out, some time in the guts might beckon at AFL level. Great prospect and to be frank he could turn out to be the best value of the guys in our pick range. He'll look good in a yellow sash.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Dyer'ere said:
He's even worse than you think, Olds. :help

I'll be doing a comparison of his Phantom vs how they actually come out Jack.
For such a high profile role with the AFL re the juniors you'd want him to be close to the mark but there's major queries over his judgement IMO.

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
Tigers of Old said:
Fogarty & Brayshaw look pretty similar..
Emma Quayle a big loss.

Quayle was pretty accurate but increasingly tossed out her phantom draft later and later. Was also a lapdog of player agents and wrote up nearly every kid as an emerging superstar.

I always found Knightmare on BF/ESPN to have far more nuanced views on the kiddies.

an_oxford_man

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
scottyturnerscurse said:
Quayle was pretty accurate but increasingly tossed out her phantom draft later and later. Was also a lapdog of player agents and wrote up nearly every kid as an emerging superstar.

I always found Knightmare on BF/ESPN to have far more nuanced views on the kiddies.

It was clear that she cared a lot about the draft prospects on a human level more than a football level. She was often too emotionally involved for mine. Still prefer her to most though.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
scottyturnerscurse said:

Knightmare is like a spambot with his write-ups, couldn't be a more bland analyst if you tried.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
bullus_hit said:
Knightmare is like a spambot with his write-ups, couldn't be a more bland analyst if you tried.
His player comparisons are awful too. I actually don't think he's a great judge but he does create a lot of content, which helps get clicks, which is why he has a job.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
From Rohan Connolly’s website:

http://www.footyology.com.au/bede-briscombs-afl-mock-draft-where-the-best-may-end-up/