Geelong Floppers | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Geelong Floppers

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I know a couple of Gellong fans who also hate him, they hate how hes made the club far removed from what they were with Bomber Thompson.

jtigger

Tiger Cub
May 7, 2005
Interesting stat

Geelong 44 year drought 1963-2007
Made finals 20 times
5 losing grand finals (67, 89, 92, 94, 95)
6 losing preliminary finals (64, 68, 80, 81, 91, 04)
6 losing semifinals (65, 66, 69, 76, 97, 05)
1 losing qualifying final (96)
2 losing elimination finals (78, 00)

Richmond 37 year drought 1980-2017
Made finals 3 times
1 losing grand final (82)
2 losing preliminary finals (95, 01)

To be honest I’m not sure which one would more painful, never getting there or all those losses.

p.s. I know what one of them feels like.

Reactions: 1 user

jtigger

Tiger Cub
May 7, 2005
Gee I really stuffed that up - my brain doesn’t retain losing finals.

One thing I remember from 1980 (I was 12) about Geelong, I was reading an article in the Herald after we beat them in the second semi saying they were going to change all of the street names from Richmond because they were so salty about the loss. I found this supporting my memory:

Geelong retaliates: 'We don't care for Richmond Street!'
Geelong finished on top of the VFL ladder at the end of the 1980 home-and-away season. Hopes of a premiership were high. In the Second Semi-final, however, the Cats (11.5) were convincingly defeated by Richmond (14.11). Geelong subsequently narrowly succumbed to Collingwood in the Preliminary Final. Richmond went on to easily win the Premiership.

The Cats' semi-final defeat by Richmond prompted an extraordinary retaliatory move by the Geelong Council. The Council moved to rename all of Geelong's 'Richmond' streets. Geelong had an abundance of 'Richmond' place names - Richmond Reserve (just down the road from Kardinia Park), Richmond Street, Richmond Place, Richmond Court, Little Richmond Street and Richmond Crescent.

The Council set out to rename Richmond Place and Richmond Court. The intended alternative names were Holt Court, after John Holt (former Geelong Mayor, and Geelong Football Club President), and Goggin Court, after Geelong coach Billy Goggin.3

The idea was obviously eventually dropped as the 'Richmond' street names still exist today, and there is no Goggin Court. Maybe it is not yet Billy's time.

I don't know of any other case of a metropolitan Council moving to get rid of street names because of the result of a football match.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

One thing I remember from 1980 (I was 12) about Geelong, I was reading an article in the Herald after we beat them in the second semi saying they were going to change all of the street names from Richmond because they were so salty about the loss. I found this supporting my memory:

Geelong finished on top of the VFL ladder at the end of the 1980 home-and-away season. Hopes of a premiership were high. In the Second Semi-final, however, the Cats (11.5) were convincingly defeated by Richmond (14.11). Geelong subsequently narrowly succumbed to Collingwood in the Preliminary Final. Richmond went on to easily win the Premiership.

The Cats' semi-final defeat by Richmond prompted an extraordinary retaliatory move by the Geelong Council. The Council moved to rename all of Geelong's 'Richmond' streets. Geelong had an abundance of 'Richmond' place names - Richmond Reserve (just down the road from Kardinia Park), Richmond Street, Richmond Place, Richmond Court, Little Richmond Street and Richmond Crescent.

The Council set out to rename Richmond Place and Richmond Court. The intended alternative names were Holt Court, after John Holt (former Geelong Mayor, and Geelong Football Club President), and Goggin Court, after Geelong coach Billy Goggin.3

The idea was obviously eventually dropped as the 'Richmond' street names still exist today, and there is no Goggin Court. Maybe it is not yet Billy's time.

I don't know of any other case of a metropolitan Council moving to get rid of street names because of the result of a football match.
That goes way beyond salty, more like choking on *smile* n vinegar.

Get a chuckle every time I see this Geelong Floppers thread title. Instant thought space goes to a once voluptuous older woman wearing a Tshirt and a cats beanie but no bra.

Reactions: 1 user

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Do ya know it's now 8 weeks since we rolled the cats?
Have to amuse ourselves the best we can I suppose.

Apart from winning the flag, having just rewatched this match, right up there with my favourite bit of play for the season, is just prior to us hitting the front in the 3rd Qtr when we keep harassing and tackling etc until Dion passes it to Tom who goals and they cut away to this. ......!

I can't seem to help myself from chuckling for some reason..... bloody sad old lot, aren't they?:mhihiStudio_20191117_081630.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne

Apart from winning the flag, having just rewatched this match, right up there with my favourite bit of play for the season, is just prior to us hitting the front in the 3rd Qtr when we keep harassing and tackling etc until Dion passes it to Tom who goals and they cut away to this. ......!

I can't seem to help myself from chuckling for some reason..... bloody sad old lot, aren't they?:mhihiView attachment 9333
Ah, so that's what the shallow end of the gene pool looks like...

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003

And so it continues..... Richmond is still holding Court over Geelong.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
It is funny how it seemed that from 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter, the Geelong players, coach and supporters all seemed resigned to the inevitable tiger train steam rolling them. They didn't even fire a shot in the second half.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

I can't seem to help myself from chuckling for some reason..... bloody sad old lot, aren't they?:mhihiView attachment 9333
Beautiful in it's simplicity n purity, nothing much gets sweeter than stunned mullets for everyone. Poor bastards still have a hell of a lot of payback to come after all the years of Scablett led floggings.

Reactions: 1 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria

Taking it away from them when they thought they had it won just made it so much sweeter. Remember when they used to do it to us routinely?